Author Topic: CC and Yari Shogun questions  (Read 9860 times)

Offline Silently

CC and Yari Shogun questions
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
Now that I have a copy of UWZ (thanks Topkick), I will be generating a few questions.  Even after reading the FAQ and searching the forum, I am still a bit unclear about a few things.  I'm primarily interested in Mishima, so many of my questions will spawn from that army.  Starting with Close Combat with non-CC weapons, and the Yari  Shogun Assault Rifle in particular.

First, exactly what is the CC damage of a non-CC weapon?  I have seen two different answers in past forum posts.  One says that the CC damage is the same as the ranged damage.  The other says that CC damage is the Strength of the soldier, unless they have a bayonet, in which case it is the ranged damage plus the bayonet bonus.  Can the correct answer be "official-ized" and put in the FAQ?

Second, The Yari  Shogun Assault Rifle seems a little out-of-whack to me.  The yari is like a super-bayonet.  It completely removes the -4 CC penalty of the base rifle, and it does ST+d6 damage.  This is much better than other bayonets (or much worse, depending on which way the first question above is answered.)  It even does more damage than a katana.  From a "flavor" point of view, it just seems strange to me that the lowly ashigaru grunt troops have a CC weapon that is as good as a samurai's katana.

Third, why does the Yari  Shogun Assault Rifle shoot better than a standard Shogun at PB and SR ranges?  I think the opposite should be true; stick a small spear on the end of a rifle and it should more unwieldy to shoot at closer ranges.

These are just some tihings that made me go "hmmm..."  More questions to follow.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: CC and Yari Shogun questions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:58 PM »
I've never faced a Mishima Army with Ahsigaru and I'm not sure anyone takes them so this may be a conundrum. Hopefully I am wrong and someone will have an answer for you.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:26:33 AM »
I have a Mishima army - It doesn't get played nearly enough - but I have had similar puzzling moments around this - I'd be interested to hear the outcome.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:19:03 AM »
The answer to the CC question is simple; Ashigaru are peasant spearmen dating back to Feudal Japan.  The rules writers were just trying to capture this fluff in the rules for its CC abilities.  Mishima is not a shooty army, it is a stabby army.  If you look at the figure itself (assuming it came with all of its parts) it should have the huge spear on the top.  Why it is better than a katana, maybe it reflects the fact that once you are impaled, the user can also pull the trigger for some added love.  Now why would they be stabbing when they could still be shooting?  One, again they are a culture more comfortable in close combat and two as Miamoto Musashi said, "When swords are drawn, pistols become useless."
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
perfect expenation. should be in the faq.

the speer/rifle combo is indeed stronger than a catana.
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Silently

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »
Ok, I am cool with the yari damage part of it.  The yari only does 1 more point of damage than the katana, and the katana provides a +2 CC attack bonus.  Samurai will still be more dangerous in CC than Ashigaru, just because they will successfully hit more often.

I still don't understand why the yari makes the shogun shoot slightly better at PB and SR, worse at MD, and the same at LR.  Logically it should be much worse at PB, slightly worse at SR, about the same at MR and LR.  In the experience of all you Mishima players, what range does most of your shooting occur?

And this still leaves my first basic question unaswered.  What is the CC damage of a non-CC weapon, with and without a bayonet-like attachment?  I think this particular question should be covered in the FAQ.  It really applies to all other armies.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
Range depends on terrain.  Most games we play are fairly terrain heavy so the majority of shooting is MR or less with only select areas (or lanes of fire) having access to LR or more.  I've only run Mishima a handful of times.   Usually I take some heavy gun troops suppress open areas while I advance my CC troops rapidly under cover...  On a typical 40k field where there's just a few terrain pieces you're just not going to hold your own against an opponent like Bauhaus who has awesome range and Armor or Capitol.  At least that's what I've found.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:18:34 AM »
And this still leaves my first basic question unaswered.  What is the CC damage of a non-CC weapon, with and without a bayonet-like attachment?  I think this particular question should be covered in the FAQ.  It really applies to all other armies.

It has, indeed, been answered in the FAQ.  I will excerpt it, here:

Page 120 & 127: Ranged Weapons Used in Close Combat
Q: How can I tell if a weapon can be fired in close combat, verses being used like a club? What is the damage if I do use it like a club?
A: If the weapon has a modifier listed under its CC category, it may be used in close combat and does the listed amount of damage. It is assumed you would be using the weapon in the most effective manner, whether by shooting it or using it as a club.

If the weapon has a dash, it cannot be used at all. The wielder would not be able to use it to effectively attack in close combat. Models with no usable weapon and no close combat weapon may not fight in CC.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »

Q: How can I tell if a weapon can be fired in close combat, verses being used like a club? What is the damage if I do use it like a club?
A: If the weapon has a modifier listed under its CC category, it may be used in close combat and does the listed amount of damage. It is assumed you would be using the weapon in the most effective manner, whether by shooting it or using it as a club.

If the weapon has a dash, it cannot be used at all. The wielder would not be able to use it to effectively attack in close combat. Models with no usable weapon and no close combat weapon may not fight in CC.

The Damage the weapon does in combat is the Strength of the trooper using the weapon in CC as they are only ad-hoc clubs (Pg 127, under the Close Combat heading and pg 131, Section 21.3).  The only firearms that use bullet dmg in CC are SIDEARM clss weapons (SMG's and below; pg 50-51, section 8.7.5 and page 127 Section 21 under Close Combat)

the modifier for the Yari in CC is correct in CC as it is considered a maneuverable enough weapon whirl the Shogun is not considered such.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Caronte

• Journeyman
    • Rompememes
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:55:25 AM »
The Damage the weapon does in combat is the Strength of the trooper using the weapon in CC as they are only ad-hoc clubs (Pg 127, under the Close Combat heading and pg 131, Section 21.3).  The only firearms that use bullet dmg in CC are SIDEARM clss weapons (SMG's and below; pg 50-51, section 8.7.5 and page 127 Section 21 under Close Combat)

the modifier for the Yari in CC is correct in CC as it is considered a maneuverable enough weapon whirl the Shogun is not considered such.
Then, the DAM for the Yari in CC is the Strength of the model, isn't it? So the same for other ranged weapons designed for using in CC, like Belzarach rifle or the Scythe of Semai HMG, right?
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"
WOPR
My band: PRENDDAS (aka ROGUES)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
yes, the S is 4+6 not 10+6 for a yari-shogun.

i assume same is true for eg. destroyers: 6+5 not 11+5
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 10:57:49 AM »
yes, the S is 4+6 not 10+6 for a yari-shogun.

i assume same is true for eg. destroyers: 6+5 not 11+5

Yes.

I have had this discussion with others several times and have backed my assertions with page numbers and Prime..  I'm still waiting for page numbers for rebuttal. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »

With all due respect to John's (Archer) interpretation of the rules, as written, he is has a compelling view.  However, this has been ruled differently.  Please, unless otherwise ruled upon, play it as it is FAQ'd.  Obviously, you are free to play it as you see fit, but amongst players from other groups, the FAQ is the final arbiter.

As for rebuttal, I will not delve into that, here.  The FAQ is the Official Ruling.  If, in the future, it is changed, then I, too, will play it that way.  Until then, I rely upon the FAQ.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Caronte

• Journeyman
    • Rompememes
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 02:32:36 AM »
With all due respect to John's (Archer) interpretation of the rules, as written, he is has a compelling view.  However, this has been ruled differently.  Please, unless otherwise ruled upon, play it as it is FAQ'd.  Obviously, you are free to play it as you see fit, but amongst players from other groups, the FAQ is the final arbiter.

As for rebuttal, I will not delve into that, here.  The FAQ is the Official Ruling.  If, in the future, it is changed, then I, too, will play it that way.  Until then, I rely upon the FAQ.
OK, so we have two options. And the following question, in case we use the FAQ rule, if I attach a Sectioner Bayonet to the Kratach rifle of my Undead Legionnaires, the DAM of the weapon in CC would be 16 (10+6), right? That is good for my Dark Legion rosters, but doesn't it looks a little bit exessive? :o
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"
WOPR
My band: PRENDDAS (aka ROGUES)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 04:46:48 AM »
I, too, think that it is a bit excessive.  However, the rules and FAQ are the game.  Without them, this is a bunch of painted pewter being pushed around a table while arguments and other objects of varying masses are hurled at players over the rules...or something like that.

Suffice to say that until a rule is changed in the FAQ or through future publication, it is what it is.  I cannot force anyone to play by the rule, but I can tell you what the rule is.  Ultimately, you may agree with Archer, and play according to those rules, which, in my opinion, weaken weapons that have actual CC stats to mere fists.

The discussion, here, is not whether the rule is in need of change; rather, it is of what the actual rule is.