Author Topic: Siege of the Citadel, UWZ edition  (Read 21808 times)

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: Siege of the Citadel, UWZ edition
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 03:56:06 PM »
is that just styrofoam?...

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Wedge

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »
That's weird... I am a frickin' moderator and I can't view the pictures?  Okay... who jacked with my account?

COIL!!!?!  ;)

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 07:47:55 PM »
Wedge: I got a PM from Coil saying that he was having the same problem, if you want I can e-mail them to you, as I did for coil.

Slyvas: No those are plaster blocks made from molds available at www.Hirstarts.com these have used the basic block mold and cracked floor mold, I plan to deck them out with some accessories from the dragons teeth mold and some of the dungeon accessory molds.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 10:28:34 PM »
Not to sound crass but about how much did that run you?  I was thinking about getting into the Hirst mold kick when I get back and it seemed like the best way to do dungeons/citadels and the like.  What did you mount them on?

You could also decorate them with the Armocast bits and the old ones they redid in metal that are available here on the website to make objectives to destroy.

Back before Warzone came out I played a SoTC-based Mutant Chronicles game at a con.  It was a great time. 

Truly SoTC is the game that binds us together.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:31:30 PM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 07:25:47 AM »
HA molds are about $30-35. To do just what GSB has done there you'd need only the basic block mold and floor tiles. Once you start using the molds you'll want to buy more of them though since they are a lot of fun.

For creating citadel I'd recommend getting one or more of the dungeon or gothic series molds as well. This will get you lots of other nice bits like windows, arches, pillars and decorative elements.

I have no idea what plaster costs in the US but I recommend that you use a better (meaning harder) plaster than normal Plaster of Paris. The people at the Hirst Arts forums will help you find the best and cheapest plaster.

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 09:41:02 AM »
I have 8 molds, 5 of which I got second hand and for an incredible deal, all in all I have about $200 invested but I've made all kinds of terrain elements: bridges, ruins, buildings, low walls, shrines, tombs, so I think it was worth the investment.  New molds orederd from Hirst Arts range from $21 to $34 US with smaller simple molds like floor tiles or roof peices at 21$ ranging up to the more intricate dungeon pieces at the $34 price.  As Coil said if you get into this you're going to want to use a more resilient plaster like dental plaster, hydrostone, or hydrocal, since regular plaster of paris doesn't have a lot of strength and is prone to chipping.  And yes if you want to do something like this I would recommend picking up the dungeon accessories molds, future installments in my SotC boards will involve more senic elements like columns, scones, niches, skulls, teeth, but when I got the idea all the blocks I had cast and ready were basic blocks so I had to cast the fancy ones, so they weren't ready for this part of the project.  The boards are mounted on 1/8th inch MDF, a lot of people mount thier Hirst Arts dungeons on 1/2" extruded polystyrene but I feel that makes the pieces too bulky and doesn't really have any advantages over the MDF.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 09:46:17 AM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 04:21:39 PM »
Is the talk of re-doing the plastics?  For one-piece molds they were actually pretty good for their time.  For the longest time a large portion of my DL force came from a set.  Now they honored as terran pieces. 
That said, plastics have come a long way since then.

HEY! WE USE THE CRAP OUT OF THOSE PLASTICS!! AFFORDABILITY AND ACCESSABILITY HAVE BEEN QUITE THE ISSUE! WE ACTUALLY LIKE THE PLASTIC EZOGHOUL BETTER THAN THE METAL VERSIONS! HOW BETTER TO SUPPLEMENT TROOP TYPES THAN LEGIONAIRRES AND OUR BELOVED NECROMUTANTS! IT TOOK US YEARS TO BEAT THE RAZIDES USING 2ND ED RULES(WHICH WE STILL USE). DUCAL MILITIA AND IMPERIAL REGULARS KNOCKED A FEW OF THE WOUNDS OFF , BUT IN THE END MORALE AND HIGH CASUALTY RATES WOULD ROUT ANY TAKERS!IT WASNT UNTIL WE GOT THE CAPITOL FREE MARINES WITH AIRSTRIKE BEFORE WE BEAT A RAZIDE OUTSIDE OF THE SEIGE GAME(WE LOST OUR SCENARIO BOOKLET.) WE HAVE BEEN THINKING OF USING THOSE SAME SCENARIOS ALSO AND INCORPORATING(NO PUN) THEM INTO 2ND ED PLAY!
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME AND REALLY DONT PLAY ANY OTHERS ANYMORE!
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
After much delay this project is back on, working in tandem with my summer painting project on the painting forums my goal is to get the citadel up and running around the same time I finish the 350 point demo armies I've worked up.  Then using the incredibly cool terrain and painted minis try to entice my friends into getting a regular game going.  I've built all the walls and floors except for the stair section which I'm still not sure how to handle. 

I have one section completely painted and the others have just the floors painted and I'm gettign to work on the walls.  So far the paint jobs are fairly simple, I'm using the shoe polish method to get varying tones with a single step since I don't want to invest the time required to paint then shade then drybrush all these terrain pieces.  I haven't done much to dress them up, they're still just bare walls and floors but I have plenty of accent pieces I could add, the problem with that is that I'm concerned that the space is already pretty tight in there and adding decorative elements would make things even more cramped.

Would folks still be interested in some pictures?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »
yes
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 11:29:06 AM »
Will do.  I have to get the camera out anyways when I get home to post some pictures of the trenchers I painted up yesterday, I'll take some of the finished section too while I'm at it.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 01:03:11 PM »
As promised here are some pictures of section 5.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 02:38:35 PM »
'Snif'

It is even more beautiful than I dreamed it would be!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 02:55:31 PM »
'Snif'

It is even more beautiful than I dreamed it would be!

What veez said.
....so sad you dont live in NJ....oh the games we would play....on that sweet sweet terrain of yours
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 04:13:10 PM »
I can just see that board swarming with Karnophages or Sunset Strikers or... Oh the Pastabilities!!!!!!!!!!
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 04:40:56 PM »
I can just see that board swarming with Karnophages or Sunset Strikers or... Oh the Pastabilities!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you should mention that.  The first scenario I'm planning to run through the citadel has Karnophage, Sunset Strikers, and Wolfbanes in it... Its going to be great.