Author Topic: This Week in gaming 10/25/08  (Read 9988 times)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
This Week in gaming 10/25/08
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:59:24 AM »
Time to start this up again...

A favorite Miniature line or faction in a line... we all have them and some of us more than one.  What's yours and do you have a fave among them?

For me, I actually have a few lines of fav models...  so I'll list them here.

GW's Sisters of Battle- all of the models in this faction tend to be top notch though static in spots.
The Orginal Battlemechs from Battletech (Warhammer, Battlemaster, etc)- Bach when Men were Men, Heat was something to Fear and the Clans werent even on the radar...
Excelsior/Heartbreaker's Free Marine (Cap Special Forces) and Imperial SF models- I think they are some of the better models out there for this game followed by the new sculpt Ca Infantry.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: This Week in gaming 10/25/08
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »
alright...here are some of my choices...

1.) AE-WW2's American OSS Agent...it's a very dynamic pose; The model is falling backwards with 2 pistols drawn and pointed outward to blaze away...

2.) Matt Beauchamp's mini of a robot Stripper...complete with a pole...go to www.armorcast.com, in the store, and I think it is in the Beaufort minis link...

3.) the new Nightmare warjack from PP...love the fact that it has a child clutching a teddy bear hiding from the Nightmare...

4.) Cawdor gang from Necromunda...

5.) Mishima Bushido Samurai...very dynamic poses, even though I hardly ever use them...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
Hmmm

1) Marauder's old line of fighters, Their Black Orcs (I think some of the best) Chaos Cav and their Giant fig.
2) Jes Goodwin's Elric Figs and High Elves
3) Rezolution's Shootists
4) GW's Throne of Sauron
5) RAFM old 40mm LOTR series (I think it was Rafm)
6) I like the versatility of the poses in the plastic Mordheim sets.
7) Vor's Deathmaw Growler
8) Bauhaus Mounted Hussars

Offline Jase

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
For me -

Urban Mammoth's Viridian basic marines for Urban War/Metropolis - They have a nice hard-SF/near future look and are generic enough to be used for any other games. Much better than the T-shirt/tanktop marines from the past.

GW's Men of Rohan - Capture the look from the films, also a nice quasi-historical look and easy to paint.

Rackham's Ophidian alliance - They're snake-men. What's not to like?

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
Hmmm-a real tough one.
Some of the newer Space Marine sculps look really good-there, I said it!
I agree about the original Capitol special forces figs-really nice sulpts.
Just about anything Julie Guthrie has ever touched-to include her original battlemechs.
Dream Pod Nine's original sculpts for Jovian Chronicles from RAFM.
Much of what comes out of Hasslefree, although I would not be interested in buying all of it.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:05:19 PM »
I've been impressed with:
Brigade Models' Celtos line was incredibly detailed and fun to paint.  Below's one of their dwaves I painted.  Yes, he has a keg on his back.
The Lizardman Sergeant is perhaps a Grenadier model.  I can't remember, but I like him!
Confrontation's figs are beautiful.

"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »
FYI the Lizardman is a Reaper
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:27:53 AM »
 Way too hard to narrow down to a few good lines.

I love the Chronopia setting and miniatures.This is how Fantasy should be.The Dwarves are amazing as are the Firstborn and Son's of Kronos.

Also ove the Slaine line of miniatures that Foundry has out and some of the older sculpts from Fantasy Forge were very cool too.

Warzone Bauhaus Commando's are some awesome sculpt's.Love the twin rotary cannon's.

Capitol Light and Heavy infantry are nice miniatures love the way Roy has sculpted them.

Cell Entertainment's 1999 line of miniatures is another favorite of mine.It has taken me ages to get most of the miniatures for this line.It is an alternative WWI-WWII setting with Genetic manipulation going on.

Celtos has a very impressive line of miniatures and like Chronopia is another favorite setting as is Leviathan.All from the same minds.

The Wolfen from Confrontation are very nice sculpts and lots of variety too.

Hasslefree and Heresy are producing some great miniatures.The Grymn are some of my favorites.Going to use them as alternative Imperial Guard.

The Wargods lines from Crocodile games.Another well thought out setting and great line of miniatures.

Found some very nice skeleton Orc's with what I would imagine was an Orc necromancer being carried by two skeleton orc's on a large shield with a banner pole.I think these were done by Chaz Elliott.

I am sure i have more cool miniatures lines that I could list.

Offline Silently

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »
A great topic!

The Legions of Steel UNE line of minis is probably my top pick.  The UNE heavy assault troopers are my personal favorite, not fancy at all but they give me a real feeling of solid, heavy powered armor soldiers.  Honorable mention goes to the big UNE walker; the B52 bomber body shape was kind of a dorky idea, but the end result actually looked impressive.

The GW tyranid line is my guilty pleasure pick.  Yeah, they are big gaudy over-blown figures from GW, but that's OK because they are monsters.  ;)  The creatures are sinister looking, and (as Sylvas mentioned below about the Mordhiem figures) the plastic sets allow a huge varaty of poses among the grunts, even before "bashing".

Closer to home, Mishima is my favorite Warzone army, but then I have always had an interest in samurai.  I definitely like the Mishima Bushido Samurai.  The Hatamoto are merely OK, hampered by those overly gaudy scupts, but for some reason I really love the Hatamoto Leader.  I also like the look of the Ashigaru troops, probably because they are a step back to a less-gaudy, better-proportioned style of figure, which I am very partial to.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
Oh Yeah!!!!!!
Another Legions of Steel fan. Pentacon moves another notch higher on my Con List.

Warning - Shameless plug for Topkick's Trading Post will occur in 3, 2, 1....

BTW I have most of the stuff needed for LoS and Planetstorm if you need to fill any gaps in your collection.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled forum topic already in progress  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:46:13 AM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »
ok lemme think...

I like the Wolfen from confrontation... metals not plastics...

Viridian and vasa from metropolis

Brotherhood from Warzone (der)

alot of the newer capitol sculpts from warzone

khorne zerkers from wh40k

probably alot more i can't remember right now

Mel

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
I really like the Capital Inf and Rangers. Paint jobs work well together.

I also like the metal Lizardmen figs from GW.

Trenchers have to be my all time favorite.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Caronte

• Journeyman
    • Rompememes
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 04:47:07 AM »
- The Colony of Ephorath from Rackham. It caught me for Confrontation.
- The Callistonian Intruder. It caught me for Warzone 1st edition. After that, I found also the Praetorian Stalkers and the Metropolitan Prophet.
- The Ophidian Alliance, also from Rackham.
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"
WOPR
My band: PRENDDAS (aka ROGUES)

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 06:31:32 AM »

It all started with Warhammer Fantasy: Chaos Dwarfs. Remembering working on the Taurus and Lammasu the most.

But after being introduced to Warzone 1rst ed in late 2000 or something the Hatamoto units made a huge impression, and I still think they are the coolest unit for Mishima.

Nowadays, having started in 2006 to really collect Warzone minis, my fav (small) mini is the Praetorian Enforcer. And fav (big) is my adjusted Ezoghouls (charging forward instead of looking to the sides).

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 08:02:39 AM »
favorite mini lines...oh so many to choice from
there cant be just one.

for pulp awesomeness:  Pulp miniatures.  (check out the rocket ranger corps.....drool)
                                  Hydra miniature for space pulp (check out the robots) and retro-pulp-space ships

hasselfree minatures....anything that Kev sculpts is gold. beautiful models that are a joy to paint.

legion of steel and Vor. two great lines, lots of minis you'll not find anywhere else.

privateer press: say what you want about the games...they do make sexy models

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful