Author Topic: Devout: Dem bones, Dem bones...  (Read 14012 times)

Offline Jase

Devout: Dem bones, Dem bones...
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:09:42 AM »
Here's an idea for a Devout 1000 pnt army I'm thinking about, critiques and commentaries welcome:

Necromancer w/ Quicken Undead, Haunting Visages, Raise Undead
Abyss Crawler

Cursed x4
Cursed x4
Cursed x4
Risen Swordsmen - 4 Dwarf, 4 Orc

Risen Archers - 4 Elf, 4 Firstborn

--990 pnts exact

Essentially the Risen march forward towards the enemy with the Cursed forming a second wave to plug gaps, protect the flanks or guard Skullface the Necromancer who will do his magic mongering amongst the Risen and Cursed. The Abyss Crawler will tunnel and come up as a rear attack or rampage amongst the enemy lines, creating corpes for Skullface to use.

Jase

"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Devout: Dem bones, Dem bones...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 07:28:04 AM »
It's a well thought out list.  Almost entirely missile proof, and a nice solid mass of troops to move forward at some speed.  The Abyss Crawler is a great threat to go out there and make your opponent stop and go on wait.  I like 1000 point lists with only one or two individuals. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »
Not bad. Similar to an idea I've been toying around with. My only real recommendation to that in a Devout army with any decent size of Undead would be to add rearrange the Cursed into 2 medium sized Warbands, giving one of the the Unholy Champion with the Avatar of War. Then the Undead get truly nasty. My list also uses the Bone Golem, instead of a Crawler, and is all Undead.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
Yeah, the Avatar of War would really help this list!!  The Bone Golem is a nasty model on a good day.  It's funny that Thom wasn't initially going to release it.  It was originally a chess piece.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Also with casulaties suitable for Raising at a premium when using an all-undead army. I tend to take Summon Undead as opposed to Raise Undead. Makes a great instant bodyguard in case the Necromancer gets isolated.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Jase

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
I actually had thought of the Unholy champion, but I created the list on Army builder 2 which doesnt have the stats for it. I have found a suitable proxy that looks almost the same (Noble knight did have one but someone snaffled it before I could), the Barrow Warden lord or something like that from Reaper.

Reaper do have a couple of giant skeletons that could work as a bone golem or giant skeleton. I may consider those.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »
I have a list alot like this one, but if I can make a few suggestions...?  I usually choose Orc risen archers over all others as their damage is better, they are cheaper, and have greater range.  I have the unholy champion with standard, and use only cursed, except for archers.  I usually have Necromancer near the archers for its bonuses and because my Necro willhave either summon undead or Giant Skeleton, or both.  With the Giant skeleton and the Horn(if its allowd), you can really do some damage.  the unholy Champion allows your Cursed to really fly across the board.

My 2 cents
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
I use AB ver 2, as well, and I added the Unholy Champion into the data files. It's actually pretty easy to do.

If you have the Army Builder Creator, as well, send me a PM and I'll walk you through adding him into the files.

I actually had thought of the Unholy champion, but I created the list on Army builder 2 which doesnt have the stats for it. I have found a suitable proxy that looks almost the same (Noble knight did have one but someone snaffled it before I could), the Barrow Warden lord or something like that from Reaper.

Reaper do have a couple of giant skeletons that could work as a bone golem or giant skeleton. I may consider those.

Jase
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Jase

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
@ Southpaw, PM Sent.

@DogOWar, thanks for that. When I composed the list for the Risen, I overlooked their ST stat in favour of the CC/RC, so given that Orc Risen have a higher CC and Elf Risen have a higher RC etc.

I must admit I have in the past not had luck with the Summoning spells, I've either failed the casting roll or got them out too late but its all trial and error right now. With the Devout I've had trouble as there are so many units I want to field but only so many points...

One more thing. How would you rate the false leads card? Useful? Or points could be used better?

Jase

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 02:23:43 AM »
 Jase
 It might have been me that got the UNholy Champion from Nobleknight games  ;D.

Been after it for awhile now.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »

One more thing. How would you rate the false leads card? Useful? Or points could be used better?

Jase

The firstborn trick has always been useful for me... even when I get my keester handed to me in a sling.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 06:28:47 AM »
Use your false leads as possible hidden Jackal Clan Scouts, giving you more activations, even if your opponent knows they're fakes.

It's always good to use false leads to represent hidden units if you have them in your army.  Some armies don't have this ability.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:57:07 PM »
@ Southpaw, PM Sent.

@DogOWar, thanks for that. When I composed the list for the Risen, I overlooked their ST stat in favour of the CC/RC, so given that Orc Risen have a higher CC and Elf Risen have a higher RC etc.

I must admit I have in the past not had luck with the Summoning spells, I've either failed the casting roll or got them out too late but its all trial and error right now. With the Devout I've had trouble as there are so many units I want to field but only so many points...

Jase

While the Orc Archer Risen has 1 less RC and 4 less armour, they cost 8 less, which is important in a risen army.  You a right about the Devout spellcasters.  It is at best a 50/50 if a spell goes off.  I usualy only take 2 spells at most with the Devout, an d keep the spellcaster whre it doesn't have to move much to spend all its actions casting spells.  I usually have my my false leads on one flank then my archres and Necro.  This forces my opponent to place units on that flank that can be shot up by my archers, while enjoying the RC bonus of my Necro.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »
Any news on playing this army????

Offline Jase

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
I haven't picked up dice for a while now but it's on the "to do" list. I still think it would be a solid force given that my usual opponent is Hail of Arrows happy with her Elves.

Jase