Author Topic: Space Mats - My own creations  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Glenn M

Space Mats - My own creations
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »
After the local con got done, I was once again itching to play Silent Death, happens every year.  Last year I bought the rules and ordered some of the plastics.  Now I am painting them, and working on getting a Mat, but I haven't seen any that really get me wanting them.  So following a few online tutorials, I managed to work out these, note, these are just test pieces to play with.

Anyways, if I manage to make some that are high enough res and look great, you'll be able to order them on Cafe Press, it'll be around $20 for a 23"x35" mat, with or without a grid.  You can see the basic background on these are all the same, but that is because I have been too lazy to generate a new one so far, I am experimenting with other pieces on it.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Space Mats - My own creations
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
Both jjdodger and I are fans of Silent Death.  I like Colos and Hibernia, while Dodge is partial to ASP.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »
I know very little of the world detail, the guys I'll be playing with are pretty lenient, so I'll be playing with the standard ships, and maybe a few others, I want to pick up some of the Geonosian fighters from Starship Battles and some other things as well.  My brother wants Battle Star fighters.  So yeah.

EDIT:  I should also note, I am not very familiar with the ships yet, I know I like the look of the Talon and Lance Electra, but otherwise, I am floating blind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:38:34 PM by Glenn M »

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:07:28 PM »
Those look pretty good !!!!

Keep us posted please?!?!
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
Walmart can print a 20x30 for something like $15.  SO I am totally going that route.  Anyways, I am going to generate a few more, and try mixing and matching mats to see what works out.  I want all my mats to be made in such a way to allow you to get more than 1 together and still make a coherent map.

Oh, I had a few other ideas, Planets, Wormholes and Blackholes should be printed on Transparencies, then they can be added or removed from gaming mats on an as needed basis. 

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »
3D planets are the best, all other items listed above should be 2D (meteorites should be 3D also IMHO)
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:06:03 PM »
McGee and his cronies are Silent Death addicts.  Don't let him fool you.

By the way, Glen, excellent work!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
There are also the Star Wars Starship minis maps you can use.  Fantasy Flight Games also made Twilight Imperium: Armada: Stellar Matter, which featured discs of various sizes, featuring wormholes, nebulae, planets, space stations, space mines (as in the kind that go boom...not to be mined) and asteroids.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »
I am not having good luck making wormholes, I am still working on it though, hopefully, I'll be able to pull something compelling together though.  Nebula aren't too hard though.

I plan to make my mines, asteroids, etc. in 3d. 

And Josh, it is Glenn, not Glen, G L E N N.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »
If you can find any pics of the wormhole from the opening credits of Deep Space 9 you might wnat to use it. I think it is a beautiful shot.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
D'oh, I should be paying better attention Glenn with two n's!!  It's four to the floor at the office today and my forum-fu ain't too savvy.  I'll remember it.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 01:22:22 PM »
Alright, here is my attempt to make a wormhole, note the normal file has a transparent background.  This allows you to print it out on a transparency or attach it to an image.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »
Some work on Planets, using a fractal generator to make a cool texture, then by lensing it, creating an atmosphere and such, you can create a very nice planet quite easily.  Anyways, here is the same planet, took me around 10 minutes to design this one.  One has a shadow, the other doesn't, I can easily add the shadow after I add it to the mat though.

This is actually really fun, I may make a Wallpaper with this stuff.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
I know very little of the world detail, the guys I'll be playing with are pretty lenient, so I'll be playing with the standard ships, and maybe a few others, I want to pick up some of the Geonosian fighters from Starship Battles and some other things as well.  My brother wants Battle Star fighters.  So yeah.

EDIT:  I should also note, I am not very familiar with the ships yet, I know I like the look of the Talon and Lance Electra, but otherwise, I am floating blind.

Anytime you wanna talk Silent Death, start a thread.  Dodger and I will, gladly, lend you any advice that we can.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!