Author Topic: Sci-Fi and Fantasy book recommendations  (Read 40629 times)

Offline micmellon

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy book recommendations
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »
The best books I every read are (as far as I remember, far too many books in my shelf  ;) ):

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn triologie by Tad Williams. A little bit slow in the beginning, but the story has unique depth and speeds up.
Foucault's Pendulum written by Umberto Eco. Nice story about people who takes all the mystic stuff too serious. Not really Fantasie but great!
All books about Midkemia written by Raymond E. Feist. Especially the Riftwar saga.
The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman is great, too. I think even better then the good Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends.
The Black Magician Trilogy was not the best books ever I read but very nice ones, too. Written by Trudi Canavan.

If want some funny stuff. Terry Prattchet has some good ones. I would say read as first: Mort

All other books are already mentioned before or I don't remember them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:10:13 PM by micmellon »
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 06:13:10 AM »
The last one sounds cool - who is the author?

God for the life of me I cant remember.
the book was lost a few years back (reason I'm not sure on the spelling)
its a thin paper back and to be honest most likely hard to find.
I suck with names but I remember the plot and events of book like I just read it.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
I found it - it's called The Last DeathShip Off Antares.

D

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
I found it - it's called The Last DeathShip Off Antares.

D

YOU ROCK!!!!!
now to get myself a new copy
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
It's a great book!  Great recommend!

D

Offline insan0

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Some of the series that others have mentioned I have had the pleasure of reading. R.A. Salvatore's Darkelf sagas and The Deathgate Cycle by Weis and Hickman are two that stand out. Its interesting to note that with both I was forced to switch between paper books and audio books due to my library selection. The audio books were generally well done with an engaging speaker and appropriate sound effects to aid in the action. Its been almost 10 years since I've gone through them but it wasn't hard to switch between the two mediums.

What are other people's thoughts on audio books?

I have a few recommendations and comments. If your after more info thats what google is for, watch out for those spoilers.

Sci-fi - Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clark - Apparently a classic? although I just got around to reading it. Fairly thought provoking for how fast a read it was.

Fantasy Series - Clan War / Legend of the Five Rings, 7 book anthology - Some of the books are better then others but on a whole its a very good series blending feudal Japanese samurai with the myths and lore of various eastern cultures.

I know its not sci-fi or fantasy but I just read this one and can't recommend it enough.

Humor? - Lamb; The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore - An often comedic interpretation of Christ's untold childhood. Quite entertaining even for a heathen such as myself, I often found my self laughing out loud although it does have some serious moments and discussions, we all know how its going to end for Jesus. Another thought provoker but with much laughing.

All this book talk has made me want to get a library card in my new city.
--David

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
Reading still holds up after all these years. :)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
Alfred Besterīs "The Demolished Man", which is an interesting "what-if" about telepathy and its consequences in society.

John Scalziīs "Old Menīs War", a nice twist on the Starship Troopers theme with a smile and a wink. I particularly enjoyed it for the writing style.

Hmmm... Robert E. Howardīs Conan stories! I would love to see someone on the silver screen really measure up to the literary Cimmerian.
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:59 PM »
Thnx for the recommend.  Been reading Game of Thrones and rereading Asimov's Foundation books - still good after all these years.

Offline Jase

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »
Reviving thread here.

I've finished reading Germline by T.C. McCarthy, the first part of a series called The Subterrene War. It's a hard SF story set in the underground mines of Kazakhstan about a strung out frontline correspondent and his experiences in a war for resources against Russia. The title comes about because the US also employs genetically modified female soldiers as part of a secret project. There's a second book but I haven't tracked it down yet.

Also have been reading the Horus Heresy books. Some of them have been hit and miss but there has been good writing in fleshing out one of the big episodes in 40K history. I personally recommend the first two books Horus Rising and Galaxy in Flames, as well as Fulgrim, Legion, The First Heretic, Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."