Author Topic: MC Novel.  (Read 17615 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
MC Novel.
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »
I'm only into it about 15 pages starting last night before I fell asleep.  The author, Matt Forbeck, gives us a nod in the novel.  I don't know if it's in the movie, but any one of you Mutant Chronicles fans can tell who the two medics are on page five. 

Read and enjoy. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: MC Novel.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:12:19 AM »
Linky please?
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:22:31 AM »
Is this one based off of the movie?

[EDIT] Nevermind-I found it on Amazon.com
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:35:29 AM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
Yup, this is the novel of the movie.  If there's a link somewhere to the first five pages of this just released novel, I'm not aware of it.  Sometimes you can find excerpts like a first chapter of a novel, but I don't have a link for this.  You'll just have to pick up a copy or borrow a friend's to find the homage.

If I ever meet Matt Forbeck, I will buy him a drink.  Whatever our thoughts on Paradox, Mutant Chronicles, Warzone, Target, Excelsior, etc., it's obvious that he goes back a long way with this setting and some of our friends in it.

If you just pick up a copy in the bookstore, turn to page five and read from the top.  It will make your day.   ;D

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:50:42 AM »
Nice to know we have someone on the inside.  Well sort of.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »
I don't know if it's in the movie, but any one of you Mutant Chronicles fans can tell who the two medics are on page five.  

Tell me, please.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:04:01 AM »
I'll bring my copy with me to your place Dave.  I'm sorry to be such a tease, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. 

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:05:30 AM »
Well I will ask one thing.  What does the military mean by someone's "top kick?"  This actually might make a third reference.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:13:37 AM »
A Top Kick is, usually, the Master Sergenat in command; the highest non-commissioned officer; one's own highest ranking leader.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 07:15:27 AM »
I'll bring my copy with me to your place Dave.  I'm sorry to be such a tease, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. 

Then, please, PM me.  Curiosity's got the better of me, and you don't want to see my tantrum.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 07:22:12 AM »
Can't... hold back... any... longer!!  The chief medic on page five is named Winter.   Thom tells me he worked on the Mutant Chronicles CCG back in the day.  Medic number 2 is named--Talamini--and in this first chapter, is in an impromptu Capitol aid station desperately trying to plug the leaks and wounds in a dying Capitol soldier.  The irony is not lost on us.  I called Thom after midnight and said "you're never gonna believe this.  Open the book and turn to page five."  He sees his name, with the dashes on either side of it, jumpin' off the page.  He says incredulously, "What is this sh*t?" 

Turns out he and Matt Forbeck go way back, and I'm guessin' Matt was just paying some respect to the man who's given us our games, despite overwhelming odds.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
That.  Is.  So. Cool.

Subtle but in your face-PE probably will never get it either.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Right on Veez.  I was thinkin' they won't even read the novel.  It's also a little late now to pull it off the shelves.   ;D

I hope Talamini doesn't get his 'nads blown off in an explosion in the next chapter, but so far, it looks like Matt Forbeck has given Thom and our collective community our due props, and I'm grateful to see that.

It made my day.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 12:06:48 PM »
Right on Veez.  I was thinkin' they won't even read the novel.  It's also a little late now to pull it off the shelves.   ;D

I hope Talamini doesn't get his 'nads blown off in an explosion in the next chapter, but so far, it looks like Matt Forbeck has given Thom and our collective community our due props, and I'm grateful to see that.

It made my day.

Nice to hear about the cameos. Not sure about due props IMHO. Of course I am not 100% in the know about the behind the scenes what happened leading up to this. If the movie/novel brings attention to our "world" of gaming then it can't be that bad. Just my opinion.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »
Cool. I saw that my favourite drug dealer errr book shop had the book so I guess I'll pick it up next time I stop by there.