Author Topic: This Week In Geekdom 9/29/08 (Or "The Stuff of Legends")  (Read 10204 times)

Offline shenlung

Re: This Week In Geekdom 9/29/08 (Or "The Stuff of Legends")
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
Re: WHFRP - I think it's actually in the rulebook that every adventure requires a trip through the sewers

D - your champions story reminds me of a game of WHFB I 'played' in once.  Our friend Jeff organized a 3 vs. 3  "good vs. evil" game of 10,000 pts/side.

Good was Empire (T1), Wood Elves (T2), and Dwarves (me).  Evil was Undead (R), Chaos Dwarves (J1), and Orcs/Goblins (J2).  Jeff was referee.

Rather than place the dwarves on one flank supported by artillery, which would have minimized the impact of their low move score, T1 and T2 decide to place it would be better to put them in the middle and try to squeeze the flanks with cavalry on the left side and wood elf something or other on the right flank.

Evil was going for a straight ahead "charge all of our crap across the table" strategy.

This was 3rd edition, the pinnacle of hero-hammer, with the longest magic phases ever which, as a dwarf player, I did not get to participate in. 

Evil gets turn one.  During shooting, chaos dwarves get a perfect shot right into the middle of my 4 units of troops with earthshaker cannon, stunning them.  As I am next to wood elves, I take a penalty to leadership rolls, which causes me to fail.  I can now not move, fight, or shoot until the next turn.  I am effectively out of turn 1 altogether. 

The empire general, T1, is hyper-concerned about mage placement for maximum effect, so magic phases take approximately an hour.  I decide to leave, go get some chow, and come back about an hour later, in time for our side to finish the first turn.

Turn 2 - CD earthshaker repeats it's earlier feat.  I am again rendered immobile.  And so on until the middle of turn 3 where J1 has the courtesy to swoop his hero on manticore in and destroy my immobile units so that I can at least give up the pretense of being part of the game.  I then spent the rest of the time mocking the other good generals for their tactical "not-good-ness".

Highlights: 

T1 has a full unit of 15 Reiksguard Knights heavy cavalry **get charged** by a block of skeletons because he got so wrapped up in mage placement he forgot to move them.  Needless to say, having your heavy cav die that way will earn you plenty of mocking.

T2 getting ****ed because the O&G's wouldn't charge his unit of 50 skirmishing archers.  J2's response was "I don't need to roll my own flank just so you can feel good about crappy deployment."

Needless to say I graciously bowed out of any more 10k point games.
What, these?  I've had these minis forever dear, they were just in a box in the garage.... :D

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
i only play since 5th edition... (long enough already..) and i liked the downsize in 6th edition.. (even though i am a weenie now... to weak for herohammer  ;))
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
IIRC 3rd ed was right BEFORE hero-hammer.  That was the orange book when you had pushback rules and the warhammer armies book which was basically ALL the army lists in ONE book for 20 bucks.  Tho to keep things balanced we did limit our mages to 2nd level spells (they had 3rd and 4th level).

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »
we had a 50 P magic item cap
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline shenlung

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
You are correct - 4th edition was the pinnacle of hero-hammer, although 3rd did allow for quite a bit of abuse as well with monstrous mounts and silly amounts of magic items on characters.

I've only come back since 6th edition and find 7th to be even a bit better, although they do allow some silly special characters which avoid like the plague.
What, these?  I've had these minis forever dear, they were just in a box in the garage.... :D

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »
Yes - as I recall one could potentially give a 4th lvl Wardancer hero 128 attacks - but it was easy to prevent this - not like Tyrian and Teclis madness.

Offline shenlung

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
It was pretty mad, in a lot of ways.  I seem to recall monstrous creature mounts that were just rediculous, magic item combinations that made a character virtually untouchable, and other nonsense.  I'm glad they've gone away from that.