Author Topic: This week in Geekdom 9/25/08  (Read 8810 times)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
This week in Geekdom 9/25/08
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:51:29 AM »
Well it is my turn this week.

Due to the sucess and number of posts from last week discussion, I wanted to expand on the topic a little.

What are your favorite games/game moments???

Doesn't have to be limited to Warzone/Chronopia but here are some of mine:

Taking down a Vulkan with a spade
Behemoth falls from brass knuckles
Anytime I roll a 1.
Talamania I,II and III - III hasn't even happened yet

Death Fries (I know it's not a game/game moment but what the hell)

Pocket aces when the two guys in front of you go all in before the flop.

WHFB grand tourneys with Jeremy (Pugs) Osteen and the "Mex" Tony Ordona

All night painting
All night gaming - D&D to WHFB to Warzone

Finishing your first adventure in D&D  - B2 module

Rolling the dice against Dragon - "Black and blue" Dragon knows what I am talking about.

Anytime you roll 3 dice per shot is really nice.
Having your heavy flamer templete cover the entire squad.

Pretty much any game of Settlers of Catan.

Finishing my indestructable terrain of doom.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
Re: This week in Geekdom 9/25/08
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
Watching dawn break after an all-night game fest.

The comraderie of gaming.

Putting my D&D party through Hell (sometimes literally) and finally seeing them successfully through the adventure.

Learning new rules and having gamed long enough to reference similarities/differences from other systems.

trying a new genre of game or new ruleset and finding out that you have another avenue for your OCD.

To crush your enemy and see him driven before you.

To hear the lamentations of the women.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:11:26 AM »
Finishing off painting an entire army.

Knocking out a conversion you've been wanting to do for a long time.

Actually playing a game (of any kind at this rate).

Showing any and all of the above off on the website.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Hmmm...

Running a successful adventure for players, either fantasy or sci-fi and having them go  "Awesome game!"
 -Favorite memory was having a player of a dwarf fighter get given his ancestral rights to lead the Clans in a Time of War; the player loved the scene and enjoyed RPing the repercussions... He vowed revenge on me for it...

Pulling off a win with an army that has no business doing as well as it did against what it beat (my 40K scout army beat up space wolves)
  Getting Gun-moll to try both Chrono and 40k... and having her enjoy the games.
  Battletech Gunslinger Matches...  they are *always* fun.
  Getting a chance to play a normal, non-support PC in an RPG; sometimes its nice to play a knuckle-dragger...
  -A favorite memory-  Having my Cleric PC go to a heretic "Convert!!" and rolling a crit.... with a great mace. ;D

Getting a chance to play one of the converted armies for Warzone.  Very rare occurrence...
  Getting a chance to play game of any kind. (Nobody seems to want to come up  this way... grr)

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
Most memorable moment from a game in seventh grade, run by a teacher from our middle school once a week after school:

We're back in the early eighties, so it's "first" edition AD&D.  Our party was exploring a dungeon when we were attacked by an Acheraii (spelling?), a four legged bird demon straight outta the abyss.  We were getting our butts kicked.  I was playing a gnome acrobat (Dragon issue #69!) whose patron deity was the Gnomish god of tricks.  My character reached out for divine intervention, as we were nearly all dead.  We had seven in the party.  I had seven gems on my character sheet.  I decided to smash them with the hilt of my dagger as an offering.

The DM says to roll a d1000.  Yup.  3d10, and I got to pick the number.  I went with 777, and sure enough, it came out!!

Our DM was shocked, as were we all at the table.  He decided that my patron deity would heal us all of our wounds, and the monster too!!  We ran like hell out of there, but that was a die roll I'll never forget.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »
best moments...

meeting new people that have the same interests as me...

met my wife through gaming (not minis...LARPs)...

hanging out at cons with the guys...

finally finishing painting that army that I've been working on...

trying out new games, armies and tactics...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »
I gotta say that even though my Vulkan was the recipient of luckyone's Trencher's spade, I can say, with glee, that that is indeed a favorite memory.

Some of my others (in no particular order):

- Rolling 3D6 for a total of 18, then rolling a D10 resulting in 0, rolling it again, and getting another 0.  Yeah, it was for the STR of my character.  Needless to say, that was AD&D.
 - Playing my first game of [insert whichever game you want here - too many to name]
 - Winning my first UWZ Tourney
 - My first game of UWZ against Thom Talamini, fought to the last mini on either side, and won by Thom.
 - Meeting all of you, whether virtually and/or in person.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Dave - can't get this out of my head:

"Ding fries are done, ding fries are done"
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
@ Veez - Getting to play a game!  YES
@ Josh - Gnome Acrobats - KARMA for the enormous welling up of fond nostalgia (I had an elf acrobat)!

Making characters for a new rpg!  Ahh Champions, how your character creation has drained the hours of my youth away.
Opening the Monster Manual for the first time (and Deities & Demigods).
My first Warhammer Battle.  ANd the time I beat 2 armies with one (Orcs slaughtered Dwarves and Wood Elves).

PIZZA and DICE!

In 6th grade jumping up and down with my two friends after finishing a massive dungeoncrawl-a-thon because our characters (naturaly as DM I somehow also had a character (think NPC with benefits) in the party, because that's what you did in those days) had just gone up 5 levels in 1 adventure (we were young and still figuring out how the game worked...and in those days 1 GP = 1 EXP -- A silly rule really - The Barbarian picks up a GP from his mound of loot -- "This is a whole new experience"  PING!  He flicks it awya and picks up another...."This is a whole new experience"  PING!  "This is a whole new experience"  PING! "This is a whole new experience"  PING!....etc.)

Best rpg moment - I was GMing.  It was the climax of a chapter in a campaign where my players were on a quest for 3 weapons.  They had found one.  The Sword Requiter - Once the sword of an ancient forgotten god, legend said whoever killed the bearer was cursed to die aswell.

Well...My players had just busted into the ritual chamber, charged into the magic circle and rescued a young prince (age 8) who was to be a virgin sacrifice to summon a chaos godling to the prime material plane.  One of my guys has the kid held in his arms, while the others are fighting off the master baddies.  But the kid is squirming to get free (still under the spell of the villain).  So the bear of a player holding the kid, decides the best way to subdue a prone 8 year old is a headbut.  THis is WFRP - He rolls a 6 for damage which means he gets to roll again and add it...another 6, and another, and another.   So, while standing in the middle of the summoning circle, the PC cracks open the hapless prince's skull and inadvertantly makes the virign sacrifice...DOH!  Well...here comes the Chaos god, manifesting into our world.  And as the GM, in my head I'm saying Shhhh---oot there goes the rest of my campaign!  I've never been one to fudge or fix dice rolls to help players, it sets a bad precedent...kinda like bailing out Wall Street.  ;)

Suddenly the player carrying Reqiter screams for his fellows to run from the tower.  They bolt out the door and he rushes forward to take on the manifesting lord of entropy.    The overconfident god (well if you were a Chaos god wouldn't you be overconfident?) sees the Dwarf defying him and promtply consumes his soul...

...which kicks in the legendary magic curse of the sword...which kills the god and saves the world.  The player lost his character, but it was one of the most heoric moments I've seen in gaming.  I gave him mucho bonuses for his next pc.