Author Topic: 750 point Dwarf forces  (Read 5533 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
750 point Dwarf forces
« on: January 03, 2006, 07:26:27 AM »
Well, in the throes of quitting smoking, I've discovered the joy of 750 point games, and have played about four or five in the last month.  It's my favorite size for the table/setup that I've got, where the table is about 4' by 4'.  You end up with about 20 models, (17 for dwarves), and a great mixture of different troop types.  Tactically it plays very close the bone, with little room for error, and rewards the bold. 

Anyway I've started with the Obsidian Serpents, from my other post of the same name, and beat up on the Blackbloods with a 3 and 0 record.  I found this to be great payback for all the defeats my erstwhile opponent has handed me, but then I got to thinking, "How can I destroy this same Elf force with my Dwarves?" 

Enter the Wolf Clan.  My favorite Dwarves (along with the Blood Bones of course) lately.  Here's my soccer hooligan force at 750 points:
Legion--Two swords, two gauntlets, one leader
Axemen--Four plus one leader--I proxied some Bloodbone Axemen that I converted w/Confrontation heads
Desert Wolf Warriors--five of'em
Scavenger--I proxied a Wolf Clan Scout
Keeper

No missiles to speak of--although Stygian Warrior Bill pointed out the the hand crossbow on the Scavenger was my missile troop! 

The battle:  The terrain was a ruined cathedral/keep.  Just stone/brick ruins approximating the outer and inner walls of a castle.  The objective was of course, to kill Bill (for me), or in Bill's case, to kill Josh. 

I put my fast moving Desert Wolves to the left, the legion in the middle and the axemen just to the right of the Legion.  The Scavenger went left, and his dummy card (both hiding) went right.  The keeper was all the way to the right unsupported and lonesome. 
The first turn I moved everything up behind cover of the ruined walls--those Desert Wolves are too expensive to get'em plugged with arrows!
Bill had his Obsidian serpent axemen in some ruins with his archers behind them.  His Dragon Skull warriors were with the Obsidian guard on their left.
When everything was in position the Keeper turned into the Blood Totem and then the wolf pack got down to business.  The totem used leap to bypass the Dragon Skulls and bring those jaws to bear on some Elven Axemen.  Killed one right there.  The Elf Archers turned to face the big monster and put a wound on it, and the Elf Axemen charged it.  That's when the Scavenger activated, striking from hidden and commanding the Desert Wolf Warriors (4" movement!) to move in.  They pulverized the archers and most of the Axemen in the opening onslaught.
Well the Elves were ready to throw a hissy fit, so the Dragon Skulls charged my Wolf Clan Axemen.  Lucky for yours truly, they made the fear save, and poor dice rolls to hit and lucky armor saves left three left to go berserk and go after them, taking one or two right there.  The Dragon Skull leader was into the Blood Totem on another side of a wall, so the Obsidian guard moved in with the grunts.  That's when the legion moved in, taking out the Obisidian Guard and some of the Dragon Skulls,  in a very solid butt kicking performance.  Of course the Keeper died when he turned back from the totem, but I had a lot of survivors. 

The point to all this:  Try the Wolf clan, they offer a lot of options for a Dwarf army.  Speed, audacity, massive damage, foaming at the mouth berserk; my favorite soccer hooligans.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: 750 point Dwarf forces
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »
sounds like a damn good game.
it brings back many a good battle with my dark tusk.
ahhhhh...the all berserk dark tusk army :D

there is a certain sweetness when you win with dwarves.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:16:26 AM »
I love when Dwarves go berserk; you're right, there's no sensation quite like it. 

Offline Wolfshade

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
  Josh, I hate to be a nit-pick, but aren't the Wolf Legion a minimum of 4 swords and 4 gaunts + Ldr?  Otherwise I like the combo. May have to try it with 1,000 pt Army. 
Elf, It's good with A-1 too!!!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:31:28 AM »
I've seen the range go from 4-6 in the book, then 3-6 to coincide with the macro pack from EE, and even 2-6 which I think is in the errata!  I'll have to double check; my guess is that all the Dwarf legions should have a minimum of 2 and maximum of 4, the Wolf Clan being the exception with 6 maximum.  Good lookin' out on the list.  Cheers.