Author Topic: Fire missions and forward observers  (Read 9079 times)

Offline JonatanRaven

Fire missions and forward observers
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:59 AM »
Ok, so I was reading up on fire missions and the dark legion has some rather nice fire missions. There's only one problem, there are no models with the forward observer SA. So, what's the point of having all them fire missions and no FO's?

Is there a ruling on this in a FAQ anywhere that I just missed or it hasn't been a problem before?
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Fire missions and forward observers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:41:50 AM »
with DL and brotherhoods itīs the spellcasters (not sure with all DL-spellcasters or just nepharites)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:14:43 AM »
How so? All spellcasters are considered having the Forward Observer SA or are there specific spells to call in a Fire Mission?

And if there are specific spells to call in a Fire Mission, where are they, because I can't find any.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »
For both BH and DL any model that has Channel can act as a Forward Observer. I believe it was in the FAQ. ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 07:46:35 AM »
I found on page 62 under 10.5.6 Brotherhood Weapons-The Brotherhood combines a combination of air power and Channeling to deliver their fire missions. ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »
Ok, found it in the FAQ, thanks..

Page 57: Forward Observers
Q: The Brotherhood and Dark Legion don’t appear to have any forward observers. How do they call down fire missions?
A: The Brotherhood and the Dark Legion for that matter share a commonality when it comes to fire missions and forward observers. In review, it is not obvious and I apologize for that. The answer thankfully is rather simple and is merely a clarification to what you have.

* Let's start with the Brotherhood. Cleansing Flame isn't a "art power" in the sense that others are (ie-back of the section). Since wielding the art takes a great amount of mental acumen and personal power, the Brotherhood uses channelers to function as Forward Observers. Thus any channeler may function as a Forward Observer and every FO knows how to call forth the "Cleansing Flame" when using the Judgment of the Cardinal Power. It is this very perspicacity that allows them to function well as Forward Observers, by nature a skill requiring a great attention to detail.
* When making the LD test to place the marker, the Brotherhood refers to it as "Cleansing Flame" and it is an LD test like any other FO action. As mentalism is often used to describe art, it should not be confused with powers from the Mentalism List. It is not treated as a specific power is. Consider it a general function of Brotherhood Channelers. This same system applies to the Cardinal's Fist Smart Bomb.
* Much like the Brotherhood fire missions, the Dark Legion relies on innate power over specifically trained troops with equipment. A Nepharite is considered a Forward Observer in any DL army. For one action, he may target any spot within 16" and LOS. This painted spot will become the focus of the particular fire mission represented by the Apostle. Any Division Commander or Nepharite may then call down the mission subsequently.
* Obviously, the Cults and Horde do not have Fire Mission options.

Follow up question then, would a Centurion suffice as a FO for Algeroth? They are channellers, albeit not very strong in the use of symmetry powers.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »
They're indiviiduals with Channel so yes they surffice.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
*evil grin*

Next time we battle, the puny mortals will face the wrath of Algeroths minions. They will suffer.......    ;D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Phil,

Firstly, thanks for answering this.  I concur, and can only hope that one day someone thinks highly enough of you to get you on the FAQ Team.

Secondly, gimme a call, sometime.  I'll PM you my phone number.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »
Phil,

Firstly, thanks for answering this.  I concur, and can only hope that one day someone thinks highly enough of you to get you on the FAQ Team.

I have to disagree with the statement - ...and can only hope that one day someone thinks highly enough of you to get you on the FAQ Team. The composition of the FAQ Team is not based on whether someone is thought highly of or not. Phil is thought highly of - I challenge anyone out there to dispute that fact. The composition of the FAQ Team was decided by Thom and it will be Thom's decision to change that composition. If you think we need more people in the group, then discuss it with the FAQ Team and forward a list of candidates to Thom.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:15:57 PM »
My bad, Top.  It was meant as a compliment to Phil's endless knowledge and of his willingness to help.  I meant no disrespect to him, the FAQ Team, or to the the Forum and its inhabitants in any way, shape, or form.

If I have insinuated anything else, I wholeheartedly apologize.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 06:57:41 AM »
Phil,

I have to disagree with the statement - ...and can only hope that one day someone thinks highly enough of you to get you on the FAQ Team. The composition of the FAQ Team is not based on whether someone is thought highly of or not. Phil is thought highly of - I challenge anyone out there to dispute that fact. The composition of the FAQ Team was decided by Thom and it will be Thom's decision to change that composition. If you think we need more people in the group, then discuss it with the FAQ Team and forward a list of candidates to Thom.

Top,

I agree with you that the composition of the team needs to be decided by Thom and that particular group. Not sure how they decide who is on the team, none of my business anyways, but I am sure of the results they have and highly respect them for their time and effort.

The interpretation of the statement of being thought highly enough of to become a member of the FAQ team IMHO differs from your's.

I agree that one way of looking at what Dave wrote is to link being thought highly of qualifies you for the FAQ. It does't in that respect. You are correct there. I didn't interpret what Dave wrote as saying that. I also feel that highly respected/thought of does show/demonstrate that many agree with/get what you are saying in regards to the rules. I think in that respect, that person should be on the list of people who could be considered for a position on that team. We don't nominate people for the FAQ team on this board, you are right there. What Dave's was saying (my take on it) was Phil's posts on rules are genarally well respected. He uses examples and page numbers. He has a greater understanding of the rules than I do. If I have a rules question and I post it on this board, I would take what Phil says about it with a great amount of respect. I would hopefully get an official ruling from an actual FAQ member. IMHO Phil's answer would not differ alot from the official FAQ answer on many areas. I think that is where the highly repected comes into play.

I think that you have to be highly respected to be on the FAQ team. This "respect" comes from different angles. I think you have to be correct in your answers to rules questions to be on the FAQ team. I also think you have to have an opinion (sometimes dissagreeing with your peers) to be on the team. I don't decide who is on the team so my opinions are just that.

I am agreeing with your post. I just had a different interpretaion on what Dave was saying.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:06:34 AM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 07:24:32 AM »
Thanks guys. I do my best to help out when possilbe. I try my best to use the book and FAQ's when possible, but I do make mistakes. Since I've been around since the beginning I sometimes mix up the rules from different editions and in cases where the rules aren't clear I have offered an opinion. I think the FAQ's team does a great job and if offered a position would love to help out. Also it's nice to hear to term respect, but I think for the most part we all are friends and respect each others opinions here. I have always enjoyed this forum and the people on it. Thanks Phil ;) ;) ;)

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
I think of Dave and the vast majority of people here as family. I suspect that as much as I have tried to curb it, I still am a bit over-protective of everyone else here. As one of the oldest of the old timers, I invoke the right of Big Brotherhood.

Dave - no hard feelings and I urge you to ask Thom to include Phil if you think it would benefit the FAQ Team. Luckyone - thanks for the rational explaination and defense of Dave. Phil -  thanks for being a standout member of the forum...and finally thanks to me for providing a bad example.

* Note to the rest of you - DO NOT be like Hal......HAL BAD  :D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 06:39:33 PM »
'sall good, bud.  No hard feelings, here, man.  Go on wichyer badself.  [fill in inappropriately well-meant cliche her].

;D