Author Topic: Prone and Minimize Presence  (Read 6636 times)

Offline JonatanRaven

Prone and Minimize Presence
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
Ok, we're starting to get on with our battling. The weekend had us fighting two battles where one Bauhaus patrol and one Capitol patrol kept the dark legion in the fold. A few game questions arose while playing though. I think I've managed to answer most of them myself except this one.

Quote from: Rules p.46: Prone vs MP
It takes an action for a standing model to assume MP status. While being knocked prone usually occurs in reaction to some other event, a model may willingly spend one action to assume a Prone position if desired.
Why would one ever want to assume a prone position? Are there any special cases where you might want to because the modifiers are all negative for a model who's prone. Or am I wrong?

A model that was Knocked Prone may spend an action to MP instead of stand.
I interpret this as no matter if you're prone or MP, it costs only one action to change position to either standing or prone/MP? You don'e have to go from prone to MP and then stand?

/Jon
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Re: Prone and Minimize Presence
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »
As I understand it, MP is sort of a voluntary prone.  Prone is used for when you are spawled out on your back or knocked on your buttsky involunarily from a bad jump or a shockwave blast.  Where as MP is the choice to get one one's belly and crawl around.  I don't think a model would ever CHOOSE to go prone.   So, no you don't have to go from prone to MP to stand.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
Prone is usually the result of something else, like WarzoneD said, but I have seen people go into it voluntarily, mainly for defensive purposes before the rules change came out that gave models minimized behind cover total coverage...

and yes, if you are prone, then it costs 1 AC to stand up, just like if you were in MP...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »
MP gives the enemy -2 to hit..

also, stacking with cover, i think?
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »
MP stacks with cover. There's no reason why you would voluntarily go prone.

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »
Thank you, that's good enough for me.
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »

it does?...I thought that it was decided in the past that if one was in MP behind a piece of hard cover, then the model could not be affected at all unless the firing was coming from a clear area (i.e. not on the other side of the cover), and if the model was in MP behind some kind of soft cover, the it did not stack because the (-2) modifier was greater than the (-1) from the obstructed view...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »
Ok, we're starting to get on with our battling. The weekend had us fighting two battles where one Bauhaus patrol and one Capitol patrol kept the dark legion in the fold. A few game questions arose while playing though. I think I've managed to answer most of them myself except this one.

It takes an action for a standing model to assume MP status. While being knocked prone usually occurs in reaction to some other event, a model may willingly spend one action to assume a Prone position if desired.
Why would one ever want to assume a prone position? Are there any special cases where you might want to because the modifiers are all negative for a model who's prone. Or am I wrong?

I cannot think of a good reason to be Prone. Well, okay - one - but it has nothing to do with UWZ ;D

A model that was Knocked Prone may spend an action to MP instead of stand.
I interpret this as no matter if you're prone or MP, it costs only one action to change position to either standing or prone/MP? You don'e have to go from prone to MP and then stand?

/Jon

Correct
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

I humbly beg to differ, Coil.  MP does not stack with cover, bud.  Cover assumes you are using the cover in the best possible manner.

Smoke is the only game effect that stacks with Cover and/or MP, to my knowledge.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:05:10 AM »
Dave is correct, only smoke stacks with cover. If you MP behind Hard cover you only get the +3.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Wedge

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »
The ability to MP behind cover and be OUT of LOS was eliminated in UWZ.  IIRC, the only way to be completely out of LOS is to be behind and object tall enough to block your miniature from view.  A waist high wall for a SZ 2 model that goes into MP does not mean it is out of LOS.  It is simply using the wall to block most of its body and still have a vantage point to attack from.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:22:14 AM »
I stand corrected Dave. I blame sleep deprivation (and far too long since my last game).