Author Topic: Halo and Gears of War Strategy games  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
Halo and Gears of War Strategy games
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:33:34 AM »
Hey all,

Evidently there's a new game that flew into Wal-Mart under the gamer's radar.  It's Halo: The Board Game.  While the game may not be the greatest (I don't know, but you can see a demo of it at http://kotaku.com/5040308/how-to-play-halo-the-board-game), the modular terrain caught my eye.  You be the judge.

Gears of War is being made by Fantasy Flight Games, the company that is currently producing the new Mutant Chronicles game.  Here's all I know (from their website):

"Gears of War is a tactical game featuring squad-based combat based on the hit Xbox game by Epic Games.
Expected at FFG: Spring 2009."

Could be interesting and obviously sounds in the same vein as Doom, Descent, Space Crusade, HeroQuest, etc.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: Halo and Gears of War Strategy games
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »
Looked it up on Boardgamegeek, and there are some mixed reviews.  the comment I keyed on was Hale meets Heroscape. 

I read through one of the previews, and the general gameplay seemed similar to many miniatures games like Descent, Herosacpe and the ilk. 

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37305

Might be a nice light wargame.
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »
On the one hand, FFG makes Dark Heresy and they seem to be doing a decent job of it. 

On the other hand, do they do any of their own work?  90% of their games seem to be someone else's concept that they have converted into a game.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »
On the one hand, FFG makes Dark Heresy and they seem to be doing a decent job of it. 

On the other hand, do they do any of their own work?  90% of their games seem to be someone else's concept that they have converted into a game.

The titles that they are re-publishing and re-working are usually successful games from other publishers that have gone out of business.  They also have been able to pick up the licenses to several popular video games and books as basis for new games. 

They also have a tone of original games.   Tannhauser, Twilight Imperium, Blue Moom and Blue Moon City,  Minotaur/Scarab Lords, Wreckage, and many many more.

Their range of games is truly staggering.  I'm pretty sure they have over a hundred original titles, in addition to a good 30 or so re-print/licensed titles. 

I think FF is one of the truly bright stars of the boardgame world.

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
Hot properties should be tied into as much as possible...it just makes good business sense.  Granted, it bombed for GW with their Lord of the Rings line.  Once the movies finished, the interest dried up and it almost ruined them.  

Haloclix never really took off, but at least there are a substantial number of approx.-sized extra figs floating around to expand the new board game into something potentially worthwhile.  Of course, the modular terrain is what I'm truly interested in.  Instant urban terrain!  Can you say military base?!  

The Gears of War (GoW) game, if my hopes are fulfilled, will be like Space Crusade (SC).  SC was a GW/Milton Bradley joint WH40K venture that was seen overseas.  Think Space Hulk lite mixed with HeroQuest-like rules.  Doom kind of has that feel, but is not squad-based.  MC:SotC was two-man squads, which was fun in its own right.  If GoW is like that, I'd be very happy.

Man, I can throw acronyms around like gangbusters!!!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson