Author Topic: Warzone- Hollywood Doom Troopers!  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Warzone- Hollywood Doom Troopers!
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:40:56 AM »
Ok.... while at work last night, I started thinking about the old Doom Trooper games Ratboy used to run at his store and at shows... and I got to thinking how well 1st Edition worked for that.  I began to wonder if 3rd could be modified to allow for some of the silliness of first... and I cam up with this.

Warzone: Hollywood DoomTrooper

This is a modified version of Warzone, and meant for one off games were you want to try a heroic battle against just plkain STOO-pid odds.  The battlefield must be crowded for this to work with lots of occluded sight lines.  Dense forest, a Blasted city ruins, an underground complex… All work best for this.

The changes to the rules are as follows:

1: All Bad Guys are the basic Trooper type for the foe following normal unit creation rules.  %00 points for the first pair of heroes +250 point per additional Hero..  Up to one Big Bad Guy (Razide or other) per two heroes.

2: All book heroes or individuals get 1 extra wound and 1 Extra Action.  This is to represent their bad-assery and overall toughness.  Normal models taken as a Hero gain an extra wound. (ie: FM or Sealion lmg gunner)

3: Models may shoot their weapons while on the move for a 2 point penalty.  LMG and Shotguns can be used in this fashion but HMG and Flamer/Sprayer weapons may NOT!  LMG's suffer an additional -1.

4: Models armed with two SIDEARMS may fire both weapons as 1 action for a -1 to hit.   This is cumulative with shooting on the move.

5: No Bad Guy models are allowed to aim. (They never seem to in the Movies).

6: Models with a MG of any kind may perform a "Mad Minute"; this ability allows the model to have his weapon get off an extra shot per range band.  IE: An x3 weapon becomes x4, x2 becomes x3, ecetera….  When this happens, the model may not do anything for their first action in their NEXT activation.  ("Dude… got to reload!")

7: Custom Models may be used… but they are considered WYSIWYG and stats are equivalent to their nearest counterpart model…. Or the appropriate Doom Trooper.   IE: I have a Cartel Agent with a Brotherhood LMG; he would have the stats of a Special Agent but with the LMG.

8: Models from other companies may be used for this- they can be statted out by request or you can use your own judgment- the key is to have fun…

9: GW Space Marines stats are available upon request (because they are supposed to be Hollywood  Bad Asses)

Custom Gear list to come…. Watch this space.

This experiment in sillyness will be updated as I think of things or as feedback is given.  Please try it out and post feed back here or in a PM to me.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:18:10 AM by Archer »
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Warzone- Hollywood Doom Troopers!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:08:19 AM »
I like it!

But to be truly Hollywood you have to change the background so that now there are only 4 of the 5 megacorporations and no cartel (for budget reasons) the Brotherhood is also the bad guys (for "creative" reasons) and for "star power" you can invite a hero special character from another game (i.e. Marnaleus Calgar from 40K).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:12 AM »
I like it!

But to be truly Hollywood you have to change the background so that now there are only 4 of the 5 megacorporations and no cartel (for budget reasons) the Brotherhood is also the bad guys (for "creative" reasons) and for "star power" you can invite a hero special character from another game (i.e. Marnaleus Calgar from 40K).

LOL!!!

All kidding and joking aside,  find someone to give this thing a spin.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:09:57 AM »
Which of the five was excluded?  If it was Cybertronic, then that would technically be correct, as they only came into existance after the first war with the Legion.  IMHO, the Brotherhood is like the Inquisition with a hall pass.  Yes, they saved humanity in the first conflict, but they are also bullies to the people and not wholly 'good'.  But I digress....

These rules sound fun and easily arranged.  I can't wait to try them!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
you can invite a hero special character from another game (i.e. Marnaleus Calgar from 40K).

Just for you Veez...

Marnaleus Calgar
Hero of the Imperium, Marine Individual, one per army

CC 12,  RC 14,  PW 5, LD 16, AC 4, Wd 4, ST 6, Mv 3, AR 22 Sz 2

Two powergloves, two storm carbine SMG's, Rebreather

Powergloves dmg ST +3 x2
Storm Carbine  dmg 11   / cc -2/ pb 0 x2/ sr +1 x2/ md 0 x2

Inspiration 4, Gunslinger, Secondary Attack, Force Commander

Use "As Is."

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
Sweet!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »
Sweet!

Yep.

Overthetop, like a good Hollywood marine should be. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
All Loadouts allow your opponent to add 10 points of troops per loadout taken.  May not seem like much but it adds up.
Gear.
Rifle Loadout

Under-barrel Shotgun: 5 points.  Dmg 9, Cluster 3.  Usable once a turn.
Under-barrel flashlight:1 point.  Eliminates Darkness Penalty in both directions.

Machine Pistol and SMG Loadouts

Laser-sight: 3 points. as per rifle loadout.
Flashlight attachment: as above

LMG loadout

Bi-Pod: 3 points.  When prone, gives +1 to hit at SR and MD ranges  Med Range gains an extra shot
Assault grip:  5 points.  Allows normal shooting on the move penaltiy with LMG's only

Please check original post.  Has had modifications to it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:18:39 AM by Archer »
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »
Umm, interesting, but speaking from experience, if this really took place in Hollywood, chances are--

1) Your hero would quit three days into the first battle sequence because he doesn't like the fact that the bad guy is getting all the good lines
2) Your bad guy would become a bad girl in a bikini to open up the appeal to foreign markets
3) Your Space Marines would be forbidden from working over SAG hiring requirements that say you must cast X amount of American extras in a U.S. based film.
4) You'd have to play the battle several times over as the producers will run a test screening for audiences and decide they don't like the ending...again, and again.

5) In the final version all your trooper's weapons will be digitally morphed into walkie-talkies so the studio can get a PG rating and have a bigger openning first weekend thanks to
the now kid friendly movie they've made which they've now renamed...AdorableZone or Warzaney.

D

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:15:29 PM »
This is a really fun idea!  I need to try this out sometime.

Mel

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 01:55:52 AM »

Mel

Thanks Mel.  You've restored my hope that a few of the folks around here are taking this idea serious....
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »

Mel

Thanks Mel.  You've restored my hope that a few of the folks around here are taking this idea serious....

of course... i haven't played in ages and any little fun twist could spark my desire to play/paint

Mel

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »

of course... i haven't played in ages and any little fun twist could spark my desire to play/paint

Mel

Well... anything that get the desire going to put paint to mini.  I think I'll have to convince the Philly Crew to give this a go; couldn't hurt for a fun one-off game. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
definately..too bad i'm on the other side of the country :(   anyway, i need to find some Brotherhood minis so i can rebuild my warzone army.. i can't believe i didnt take batter care when i moved.

Mel

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »
definately..too bad i'm on the other side of the country :(   anyway, i need to find some Brotherhood minis so i can rebuild my warzone army.. i can't believe i didnt take batter care when i moved.

Mel

Don't get me started about moving and damage!

Hint:  This didn't come from a crash landing