Author Topic: D&D 3.5 Game Experience Upgrade  (Read 7204 times)

Wedge

D&D 3.5 Game Experience Upgrade
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
I wanted to share something with everyone that my gaming group and I did just this Wednesday.  For some reason I cannot post the pictures... strange that a moderator has no access.  I sent a couple of pictures taken by my friend's cell phone (first one is blurry) to Coil and asked him to post the pics for me.  I am so excited about the project I wanted to share it with you since I know a lot of you play D&D.

We recently got our hands on a digital projector for a very good price: $200 brand new.  We secured it to a milk crate (because the crate is vented already) and we mounted the crate to the ceiling.  The projector sends an image of whats on the screen down to the table top to a white plastic sheet with 1" square grid on it (the picture with me and the map is on a white plastic sheet of paper--just testing it out).  The grid is done but not pictured.  Using either the NWN Toolset or Dundjinni (mapping program) we project a map onto the grid for the characters to move around on.

It's very dramatic and vastly enhances game play.  The players can move their miniatures around a map with falling leaves and running water.  It's very cool!  Additionally, it cuts down on mapping time by hand.  If you want to get the jist of what we did, go to this website: http://www.penpaperpixel.org

We got the idea from them and are in the process of improving our game table with built in lights for the players etc.  I'll send more pics when we're done.

Enjoy!

Offline Glenn M

Re: D&D 3.5 Game Experience Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
I have heard of this being done before, if I ever get the space I intend to do something similar. 

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:36:13 AM »
It seems the files folder was full so I had to go and delete some old files. I'd recommend that people host files externally if possible. Places like Photobucket and Imageshack are good for hosting pics.

There's also a limit on the attachment size per post so I had to add the last photo to this post.

That is so cool. I've read about stuff like that before and it is nice to see it in action. I will definitely forward this to the guys in my gaming group.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 01:54:18 AM by Coil »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »
From your description, it sounds very psychedelic!!  I must open the links and see for myself.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Wedge

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
Thanks for posting those Coil.  For some reason I cannot post them.  It keeps saying access denied.  I suppose I could try photobucket from now and do an external link.

The players in my group that I am DM'ing for are in a FR Underdark campaign.  I have already created the maps to about 5 side quests that are important to the main plotline.  I'll post more pictures of the maps and the action as it plays out if you guys are interested.

Installation and hooking up the PC and software, etc. took all of two hours.  Simple and quite effective.  We're going to have our first session a week from this Wednesday (I'm going to be on vacation in Oregon for two weeks).  I can't wait!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »
I'd love to see more pics of it in action.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »
copasetic dude.  Like the idea.  Wish we had time for more than one game.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:26:59 AM »
That is too cool!  Although I suppose if you wanted to go uber geek, you could find a way to mount it under a clear substance (plexiglass with a thin white sheet under it) and project up, that way your figs, dice bags, books, etc. don't shadow the board.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Wedge

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:53:45 AM »
Believe it or not that thought acutally occurred to another person in our group but we quickly realized that the projection distance is what matters.  With it mounted on the ceiling we have about 5 feet of distance between the table top and the projector.  If you project from below the distance is a mere 2.5 - 3 feet depending on how you set it up.  The greater the distance from the board the larger we can make the image.  That's really important if you are trying to project a large map to play on.  Another option is mirrors.  Mirrors work but they cut down on clarity somewhat--never tried them but that is what I heard.  We are having our first session with the projected maps next week.  I'll borrow my wife's camera and take pics of the action and post them here.  Stay tuned!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 01:32:50 AM »
remember that old light projectors in shool/uni?

they have a huge lense & mirror, just what you need.

grab one of these oldies and combine old & new
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."