Author Topic: The Charnel Golem Stats!!  (Read 78761 times)

Offline troy-the-just

Re: The Charnel Golem Stats!!
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
right i would assume that mortal, blessed and beasts can be absorbed, but that would be the limit.  regarding an earlier post, the repeating crossbow in the war torkha does less damage than a heavy crossbow so i would assume it is classified as a handheld weapon?  the only reason it is bigger is due to the greater rate of fire, not power or distance

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 06:38:13 AM »
ok, how would the following situations be affected by the golem

a leap

a ram attack

a trample

i would assume they all would go off as they are resolved first, but i want to be sure.  not trying to be a pain here guys

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
Keep the feedback coming!!  You're not being a pain. 

1. Leap: this would still be the same as any other model, but your CC is reduced as you leap through all the guts!!  That's easy enough without turning this model into something complicated like an LD test or whatnot.  The mod to the CC and DEF of the attackers kinda covers the flavor without trumping special abilities.

2.  Ram Attack: Same as Leap.  The negative to the CC reflects trying to bullrush through animated intestines and bone shards.

3.  Trample.  As long as the Trampling model goes over the base of Ole Charney, it can be trampled.

4.  As for the absorption.  Risen, no.  Undead of any kind, no.  Golems, enchanted models like Dream Warriors, I'd say no.  It has to be mortal, or a beast, or a Blessed creature like a Totem, something with flesh and blood.  The Charnel Golem may atack mortal Devout models if you're desparate!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
is the devout player still have to contend with the limits on individuals i.e.

my charny kills and devours a nice delicious large warband of militia, now it can start popin out,

so then there are 2,  etc.  how many can he create, is he only bound by the rule for individs when purchasing and not thereafter?  i assume this is the rule

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
When building your Devout army with a Charnel Golem, you currently may start with only one as long as you have a Warped Lord in your force.  When we see the Visceramancer, you may take more than one, but the build still conforms to the one individual to one squad ratio that we know and love.

Now for absorption, Ole Charny must kill six of those militia, and take an action each turn to absorb the two it kills each turn, to get that six sided die up to the number six of wounds absorbed.  After that, it will split into two Golems, both starting at 3 wounds.

It is possible for the Charnel Golem to split into two on a really good day, but remember, it only absorbs models it kills itself.  It can't deliver the death blow to a Totem that's been wounded by a squad first, and then absorb five wounds. 

Also, the numbers absorbed may differ from what I just wrote, as the Golem may spend an action at the beginning of the turn to absorb, as laid out in the original post/pdf.

For those wanting the playtesting pdf, let me know here, and I'll shoot you a copy, or just go on over to Coki's Chronopia World and print yo'self a copy.   

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
Played a game with the Charnel Golem with myself, Topkick, and Coldthunder. My Devout vs their Obsidian Elves, 800 pts per side.

As they were reviewing his stats for their army list, they immediately noticed a blaring weak point in the Golem, a weakness I noticed which I was hoping they would overlook: it's below-average LD of 8.

That being the case the Golem is extremely vulernerable to LD-based saves and spells....Chasm...in this case....poor Golem never knew what hit him.

So, that being the case, while the CC and related aspects and abilities are nice, it does have a weakness, and it's a big one.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
Well, damn, I was hoping Troy and I were the only ones who noticed that.  Yes, it is a glaring weakness.  The balancing issue seems to be less and less of a problem.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
 :D  Told ya it wasn't invincible.  That LD also translates into a balancing factor for when the Deathseeker charges Old Charney on wait.  The opposed roll is %40 in the favor of the Deathseeker, and even with the loss of the charge bonus, ferocity, and four to the CC, it still can take out the Golem.

Keep kickin' the tires, er, guts!!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »
Played a game with the Charnel Golem with myself, Topkick, and Coldthunder. My Devout vs their Obsidian Elves, 800 pts per side.
...That being the case the Golem is extremely vulernerable to LD-based saves and spells....Chasm...in this case....poor Golem never knew what hit him...
SP
Golem fall in a hole - poor lil golem  ;)  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 07:48:24 AM »
Must get a hold of Jeff Dodge.  He's been mackin' lately, and I applaud him for it, but if I can get a game in with him, even with the text messaging blowin' up, it's still better than no playtesting.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 06:47:40 AM »
Dang!!  Ole Charney had a good night last night, and almost split!!!!!   Lost the game to the Firstborn but I have to say it was a hell of a good time.  The LD of 8 is the balancing factor in this model.  It was the only thing left on the board and had no chance beating the FB's LD of 16 for initiative.  Sigh. 

I'm diggin' it more and more.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
Dang!!  Ole Charney had a good night last night, and almost split!!!!!   Lost the game to the Firstborn but I have to say it was a hell of a good time.  The LD of 8 is the balancing factor in this model.  It was the only thing left on the board and had no chance beating the FB's LD of 16 for initiative.  Sigh. 

I'm diggin' it more and more.

Ah ha....  I suppose this means I need to come down again and face it once more.  Or you jack someone's car and come up here.  Need to put down some Devout once more...
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
     I need to get the Devout back out as well.  Been having fun with dwarves and elves.  Its the curse of TONS O' PEWTER.  Way too many armies and not enough time.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 12:12:41 PM »
Ach!!  It was just Ole Charney left on the board last week, and if he split, that would've been the game.  I have to make sure I played everything correctly, but it was still a blast.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 06:11:44 AM »
Where does this model stand in the great big Chronopia scheme of things?  Did it make the cut and is "official"?  If so, where do I go to find a copy of the model that is used in the original post?

Any update would be greatly appreciated.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)