Author Topic: Mutant Chronicles...NCMG?  (Read 11938 times)

Offline Glenn M

Re: Mutant Chronicles...NCMG?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »
Wow, that final box is only $10, that is pretty awesome.

Must not spend more money . . . . . .

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 05:33:14 AM »
FFG is blocked at work.   ???

I'll check out the news tonight.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »
I hate to see it failed....not that it inspired me or anything (I always hated the idea of using 54mm). The problem is with each subsequent failure, the chance of getting a new game and new figures diminishes. I'm sure the licensing for MC/WZ is a fairly hefty amount.....and it would take a lot to get a new company to risk that considering the rather dismal track record. Ah well....maybe if one of us wins the lottery.....
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 08:14:43 PM »
I agree with you there Alpha. 2008 was kind of the "big push" to get MC out to the masses again. It would have been cool for at least one MC title to do well. But now I don't think there will be any new attempts this big(:p) for a while... Though I would love nothing more than to see someone releasing a new MC game tomorrow.

It's a bit ironic that FFG now is distributing (producing?) the 28mm non-painted pewter miniatures game Anima Tactics and ditching the pre-painted MC...

Oh well.. *off to paint some warzone minis*

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
Ya know, I've seen this happen with many concepts.  They almost all have some things in common. 
1. They usually have a rich universe/back story
2. They have cool figs/concepts
3. They are remakes from older games
4. They have a small, but devout following (usually stemming from the older game)

Examples:
Crimson Skies (CS)
Then - Microsoft put out both a PC and X-Box game.  WizKids bought the license and released figs and planes based on the game.  For us more 'experienced' players, we were stoked that one of FASA's coolest games was seeing new light.  Well, Topps bought WizKids (that worked out well for them, didn't it?) and immediately axed the line before it could 'take flight'. 
Now - There's rumor that there will be a Crimson Skies 2 on the X-Box 360.  At the very least, there were planes to use as alternatives to the expensive metal ones from FASA's era.

Rocketmen
Then - Another WizKids product.  Fun little game using the Pirates-style cards you punch out to make a 3D ship.  Unlike MC and CS, there wasn't a pre-existing universe to draw from.  However, the concept was very cool and very pulp (think Flash Gordon).  They put their money on a Saturday morning cartoon series that never panned out and the game failed, much to my (and others) dismay. 
Now - You can get cases (36 packs) of both the Axis of Evil and Battle of Titan sets for uber cheap on eBay.  Great game...check it out for not much dough.

MC falls into the same rut.  Great concept, poor execution.  I wonder if FFG was trying to horn in on the excitement the movie may or may not have generated when it was released stateside.  We all know the movie's release was delayed in the USA and unfinished copies were sold everywhere else.  That problem, coupled with the fact that most gamers poo-pooed the whole thing because the figs were both 54mm and crappily painted, killed it.

Here's the irony.  Now that I know the game is kaput, I'm looking at getting some on the cheap to see how it plays.  I have one gaming buddy that prefers playing with 54mm toys, so I may ge thim to jump on the wagon.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »
I happen to have a near complete collection of Crimson Skies planes.  I just loved the style thanks to the Xbox game. 

I am definitely gonna grab some MC figures though.  At least the big pack, a starter and a couple of the expansions, waiting for them to hit 25% or so retail.  They'll fit good on Hero scape terrain and work well for that game and perhaps Inquisitor.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
Ah the rough and tumble world of miniatures.  From reading the news, it sounds like FFG have the rights still, to produce games, and may pass it off on some other source.

I'm content to stay here.  I played a 1000 point game today with Bill Meredith.  I'll play more games at Talamania.  I'm learning more and more that the real mutants are right here on these boards, and we chronicle our own exploits.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
 Not sure if you have all seen this post but if you look at the bottom picture you will see some models that were in the planning stage from the look of it.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=499

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »
I did see that - and they look pretty good. I was also intrigued/disappointed that they apparently were doing some Wolfbanes for Imperial....that will never see the light of day now. That's probably all it would have taken for me to buy quite a few of the sets and play.....
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
Mishima for me.  They would have been the coolest!
-Private Hudson

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »
 Have you seen the Character cards and promo ones on the site link above.It shows some very cool looking miniatures.Valerie Duval looks like a very nice sculpt.So does the Brass Golem.The Praetorian Behmoth looks good apart from the head.If they did these as unpainted models they might have taken off better(and 28mm scale too).They also have an Orca suit shown.

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »
I've read some good ideas by other peeps on "what to do now". Many mention Privateer Press, but others think it would be best to start very small with all the factions, but only about two or three units each with one small rulebook. I'm not too comfy on using plastics, but whatever works. If pewter is cheaper than plastic as someone said I'd rather start with that. This would of course be a 28mm MC: Warzone game. I would of course want someone like PP to take over, but I just can't see why they would. So the start small bit would def. be the best. At least that's what's realistic "right now".

I guess the best person to take over would be Thom (and crew), but I don't know if he's interested in walking down that road again. At least someone from this forum should be helping the "new company".

The game world is just too cool to be non-active imo.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »
I honestly think that if you are going to restart, you have to completely rename and repackage the whole thing; too much bad blood.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
Here's a thought...

We all didn't like the scale (not fixable) or the paint jobs (fixable), but know very little about the rules.  I did look them over when they came out and they were good.  Who's to say that someone doesn't just use their WZ figs on HeroScape tiles using the MC rules?  Easy solution to a problem, as most of us have a lot of what was put out, but in lead.
-Private Hudson

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
I will prolly proxy with warzone minis, but just for fun as I use the original 54mm ones. The Warzone minis are perfect for Warzone, while the CMG minis are awesome for the CMG.

The difference is black and white if you want to compare the games. UWZ takes more time as you have to be more "dedicated" (painting etc), but IMO that's what a good hobby is all about. While the CMG is just something you can pick out already painted (I would preferably repaint some of those as well though..) and use on a hex-board, and you only would need 10+ minis for your faction. It's really all about what you're in the mood for that day. I like the fact that the CMG is so easy and fast, but the awesomeness of Warzone is hard to top. Though if you have 20+ games of warzone and play with another experienced player it would probably be just as fast.

With changing the name, you mean changing the name of Mutant Chronicles? Or just Warzone? For my part the game would have to take place in the MC world with the same factions and so forth.