Author Topic: Ring O' Blood, part 1  (Read 9126 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Ring O' Blood, part 1
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »
      A week back the 4-State Militia played a whacky Chronopia game.  Since we have three players and are tired of the 2 on 1 action (no pun intended :D) we decided to try something different.  What we came up with is the Ring O' Blood, as I like to call it.  Canonball traced out a 4' diameter circle to put on our warboard and then we divided it in to 3 pieces o' pie.  Every player gets a piece to defend and attacks the player to the left of their piece(clockwise).  We all took turns putting down terrain into each piece of pie and then everyone placed a marker worth 1 V.P. into each slice.  the idea was to get your opponents and keep your own.   

Da Rulz

-Half warband rules apply.  Individuals to equal no more than #warbands - 1.

-1000 points divided into an attacking and defending force. 400 point minimum for each force.

-No member of attacking force may be on their side of pie at the end of turn 2 or they are removed from board.

-Spellcasters can go both ways (no pun intended ;D), in that they may cast spells for attacking and defending.

-Attacking forces from opposing armies may not attack each other and do not block LOS for defenders. 

- No template spells 1st turn.

- Attacking force may be deployed no closer than 3" from opposing players "pie". 

-No opponent will be allowed knowledge of any opponents force or composition there of.  You don't know who is playing   what.

-All 3 players will roll initiative and the winner may pick thieir "pie" or nominate 2nd player to pick 1st and then go second.

-A model must come into base to base contact with marker to claim.  This applies to defenders wanting to reclaim markers.

There are a few other that escape me at the moment.  I'm sure Troy or Canonball will fill us in.

Players:

DogOWar= Devout (Monsters inc. army)
     Troy-the-just= SOK
     Canonball= Firstborn

After initiative was decided it ended up being Devout vs FB, FB vs SOK, and Sok vs Devout.  Let the pain begin!

Setup pic

Deployment (picture form each piece)

Devout

Firstborn

SOK

TURN 1
     The 1st turn saw everybody coming out to the gate very aggressively.  NObody wanted to have any of their minis on the wrong side of the line at the end of turn 2.
      FB attacks SOK by sending in repulsar into rear of Hearthguard, killing 2 and scaring to crap out of the rest (failed fear save).  General advance by FB the rest of turn.   SOK respond with Spear O Llyr to minimal effect and retreat by Hearthguard.
     SOK move aggresively into Devout pie and wait for the oppurtunity to strike.  Devout reposition forces and shoot arrows from risen causing several casualties.
     Devout send in Jackal Clan Scout hoping to draw out repulsar, but to know avail.  Soulflayer deads for Repulsar Marksman and almost make it.  General advance thru gaps insues.

End O Turn 1 Pics

FB vs Devout

FB vs SOK

SOK vs Devout

TURN 2
     Turn 2 began with a bang.  It was the sound of a repulsar knight slamming into by bodacious Soulflayer, who was promptly annihilated.  Her valiant sacrifice allowed me to use my Jackal Clan Scout to stalk up to the Repulsar Knight and sticking various metal tipped appendages into his arse, leaving him with 1 wound.  My Damned then charged up and took out the knight and marksman in one turn.  The Firstborn's Iron Guard were now in alot of trouble.

FB "PIE" middle of Turn 2

Troy's SOK responded to the FB assault by bringing out the Viridians and taking out the repulsar and a huge chunk of the Swordsmen.  The Firstborn bring up the Sistahs and crossbows to make things nasty.

SOK "PIE" middle of turn 2

On the Devout pie the SOK move Viridians up and face the Tormented, Dusk Realm Demon, and some swordmen.  Although they take out the Tormented, The DRD and the swordsmen prove to mucfor them.  the Tribal Warriors move around rock and prepare for endgame.

Devout "PIE" middle of turn 2

Endgame

turns 3 and 4 saw much carnage and bloodshed.  Pretty much eveybody was commited and it became a general melee.  Forgotten were the V.P. markers whcih is what the game was originaly about, all we wanted to do was KILL'EM ALL.  The Devout ended up keeping control of their markers and gaining the FB.  THe SOK and FB declared a tie, I believe, when There was almost nobody left on either side to fight, as we wanted to play this scenario 1 more time.

END OF TURN 3 PICS

Devout PIE

Firstborn PIE

SOK PIE  Also a nice shot of Troy's "package".

COMMENTS
     I have to say that this was a really fun way to play.  Anyone who plays 2 vs 1 know that most of the time someone doesn't get to enjoy it as much as the other two.  I was very impressed in that everyone played well.  Alot of the time it came down to the "lesser of 2 evils" choices and die rolls.  I think all of us learned alot about army comp in this situation, and I look forward to seeeing how things change for the other guys.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:14:25 AM by DogOWar »
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Ring O' Blood
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:53 AM »
Why do I have the combat theme from the original Star Trek going through my head when I look at this? 

Great concept!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:53:45 AM »
This post deserves the karma button.  Three person games usually end up with one person having a lousy time.  I think you have a scenario that gives everyone a shot at good game.

Kings to you.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »
Great idea!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Re: Ring O' Blood, part 1
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »
Finished the Post.  Thanks for all the kind comments and the karma, but it is really a game designed by all three of us.  I can not take credit for it. 

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »
What you CAN do, however, is snap some closeups of the proxies on the board!!  I'm dying to see the Dusk Realm Warrior proxies if I didn't miss my guess, and out of curiousity, what were the primed black Elven archers standing in for?

Great report, and I still hit the applaud button.  I'm not going to smite you to even it out, either.  Good work!!

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »
What you CAN do, however, is snap some closeups of the proxies on the board!!  I'm dying to see the Dusk Realm Warrior proxies if I didn't miss my guess, and out of curiousity, what were the primed black Elven archers standing in for?

Great report, and I still hit the applaud button.  I'm not going to smite you to even it out, either.  Good work!!

You are correct, they are proxies for the DRW.  I freak'n LOVE'EM!!  They were part of wmeredith's Devout that I bought from him.  I'm not sure where they come from, but they are sweet.  I'll try to get some pics took for ya.  I'm quite proud of them.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »
The primered Elven Archers are my proxies for Orc and Elven Risen Archers.  I have some Blackblood Orc Archers that will eventually be primed to take over some of the duties, and hope to paint them up at some point.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »
Ah yes.  Bill had them over at my place.  They are converted Celtos Beastman champion models, and they are great. 

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:19:44 AM »
this was a great game, even though i didnt fair to well.  this game enhances greatly the importance of individuals, minimizes speed, minimizes spell casting, at least.

it is a great challenge to defend on one front while be forced to attack on another, against 2 separate foes.  the mental energy required is great, and it was exciting.  there is little time to recover from mistakes or poor rolls.  here are the pivotal actions in the above in my opinion...

devout soulflayer attacking repulsar knight marksmen.  although it failed, it pulled the repulsar back to face it, so both repulsar and marksman were out of position and were easy pickins for jackal scout and damned, leaving a small band of swordsmen and iron guard without any backup, game over.

firstborn commiting repulsar to attack large band of hearthguard.  he killed 2, but than the rest were afeared.  oh my god, that was the backbone of my defense force, they retreat.  this forced me to deploy Virdian Lord and Viridian Lord champion earlier than expected, that and the impotence of the Wyrrd.  I pulled it out in the end, but i concentrated too much on the defense and totally ignored my attack, and perhaps made some less than wise moves whcih the devout swatted with their little demon tails