Author Topic: Memorial Day - With Greatest Respect and Honor  (Read 4529 times)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Memorial Day - With Greatest Respect and Honor
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »
Happy Memorial Day.

As has been pointed out, this past Monday was Memorial Day, not Vetran's Day. 

To all who have lost friends and loved ones in service to our country, no matter which war, I send my sympathy and sincerest thanks for that supreme sacrafice.

MadBrad

-------------------------------

Edited because Memorial Day is not Vetran's Day.   
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:57:19 PM by MadBrad »
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Memorial Day - With Greatest Respect and Honor to our Vets
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:06:16 AM »
As Memorial Day is a remembrance of those who have fallen in service, I too wish to express my gratitude to those who've given sons and daughters so that we may enjoy the freedoms that were ensured by them.

Thank you.

If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:40 AM »
As a veteran, my view of this day is different from others. I don't do picnics and parties. I spend my time remembering several groups. First, members of my family who served and made their sacrifices for the future generations. Second the friends I served with who gave their time and in some cases their lives. Lastly, I think of those who I have not known who made/make their sacrifices for strangers like me and who I can never thank face to face. All of them were/are normal men and women who served/are serving for no reason other than it was right to do so. I am humbled by them all.

To the others here who have served or are currently serving. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:53:49 AM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
I was in the Air Force (Air National Guard) from 1996 to 2000... I still live in a military town.  One of my best friends (he and his wife are still in my gaming group) was seriously injured by a suicide bomber in Iraq two years ago.  I've had several other friends and aquaintances injured or killed in the current conflict.  This is a serious day, for remembrance of service freeluy given by our current all-volunteer military, and of past service given by people both volunteers and involuntary draftees.

I agree with Topkick... I find the parades and drunken barbeques, sports games and social events to be generally uncomfortable... not quite offensive, usually, but somehow inappropriate.  This is a day for respect.  My hat's off to all those currently serving, and all those who have served in the past.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:43:35 AM »
It is a diiferent weekend for me also. I can't stand when people get Memorial Day mixed up with Veteren's Day. At church they were trying to recognize the veterans in attendance in honor of Memorial Day. I chose not to raise my hand and my wife was wondering why. I had to explain it to her later on the way home and I think she understands now.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.