Author Topic: some nice Fortress  (Read 14982 times)

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
some nice Fortress
« on: December 27, 2005, 01:35:28 PM »
here are some Pics I downloaded from an eBay-auction in 2004....the highest and winning bid has been at over 660 EURO...I think (if I remeber right) it's base has been a suqare meter and some 90cm in height...

At some time I thought about doing something similar by using castlemolds...but I never made the first step...it's just to many stones to cast... ;)
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Anomander_Rake

Re: some nice Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
here are some more pics...

It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »
 :o
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 04:41:58 PM »
It looks like Minas Tirith, from Lord of the Rings, if memory serves....

Wow...
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 07:32:01 PM »
Banging!!!!!!!!!! Think how cool it would be to have the acutaul one from the movie.
You would have to dedicate a portion of your house to use that baby. But I would settle for this one!! :o
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 02:15:09 AM »
Actually it is Minas Tirith...though it has been changed for game and housing purposes...first of all the 'real' Minas Tirith has had seven defensive circles, seven gates to the next higher level. The auctioned Minas Tirith has only three. As I planned to do something similar I made some thinking of doing seven circles...I would need to have at least one room to build and house it. It's a little bit to big to carry it around, too... ;D

Perhaps with CM and Engines of War I will have to rethink the idea...but after Alien vs. Predator I would like to have some pyramid or something alike, too.  ;)

I will sumbit later some pics I made at the Spiel Fair in 2003 at the other companies booth...I think it should have been Helms Deep...

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 03:19:47 AM »
That is a really nice piece. It might be possible to recreate it using Hirst Art blocks but it would require a lot of custom blocks since there are no circle blocks of that radius in the HA range.

Building something that big in plaster would require a fork lift to move though.

I will sumbit later some pics I made at the Spiel Fair in 2003 at the other companies booth...I think it should have been Helms Deep...
Wasn't it a Minas Tirith style cityscape?

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 03:24:14 AM »
Wasn't it a Minas Tirith style cityscape?

No it's Helms Deep I believe...I already uploaded the pics to my site but I have to redo them. The Size and quality don't work...do you have any more pics from that time?

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 08:42:26 AM »
*cleans up the drool*
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 10:31:28 AM »
That is a really nice piece. It might be possible to recreate it using Hirst Art blocks but it would require a lot of custom blocks since there are no circle blocks of that radius in the HA range.

Building something that big in plaster would require a fork lift to move though.

I think there is an alternative to using plaster...I don't know the english term for it, so I will describe it, perhaps one of you guys knows it.

It's some kind of foam used in construction and building, you should get it in nearly every store... with thin wood or some other flexible stuff perhaps paperboard you can shabe to half circles between you put the foam and wait until its gotten hard. After it is hardened you can work it, or use some plaster on it and later take a screwdriver to scribe some stone-wall-outlines into it...

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 11:17:26 AM »
I know what your talking about... I just can't think of the name.  However, your idea of using it for modeling interests me....
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
Actually you were right the 1st time it's Minas Tirith.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 12:28:34 PM »
I would love to play a battle on that!  That's good stuff.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 12:42:19 PM »
I know what your talking about... I just can't think of the name.  However, your idea of using it for modeling interests me....

I really like Ebay...after I couldn't find the phrase in my onlibne-dictionaries I looked it up on ebay... ;)

I think it's Insulation Foam...at least it looks like the thing I have thought of...

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 02:41:18 PM »
You are describing Insulation Foam.  It's kinda like Instant Readi-Whip for houses.  and yes, the stuff (once varnished or treated with some sort of protective sealant) is a godsend for terrain purposes.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum