Author Topic: Stygian army advice?  (Read 5820 times)

Offline WagesofSin

Stygian army advice?
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:42:37 AM »
The more I look at 'em, the more I want 'em. Great looking models. However! I hear that as an army, they are challenging to play with. I admit that the regular warriors seem a tad overpriced...thought that move of 4 does look good. The individuals seem very good, so no complaint there. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for when building a stygian force?

I was maybe thinking of trying to get as many individuals as I can. Great warriors have a move of 6! That's 18 inches if I use both actions to run! I need at least three of those!

How about starved? They seem relatively defenseless, though they are the cheapest stygian troops avialable for purchase.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Stygian army advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:50:39 PM »
Read the posts about Leap and Stand Fast.  You'll see a decided advantage there.  It means having no armor for your troops can be compensated for, as you'll leap and attack first against any model.  You need to move the whole swarm like, well, a swarm, and keep even your big nasties supported, like the hammerhead and the embalmed.  I'll let Stygian Warrior Bill and all the Stygian players break it down some more if they're out there.  He's beaten my Dwarves with his horde, and let me tell ya, it hurt. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 02:12:45 PM »
Well here's a quick list I fired off:

1 Priestess with mesmerize, sandstorm, quicksand, and torent of blood

2 great warriors

1 Embalmed

Stygian warrior group 1:
3 axemen
3 spearmen

Stygian warrior group 2:
3 axemen
2 spearmen
1 swordsman

First unit of 4 starved

Second unit of 4 starved

The plan: Everyone advances together as fast as they can exept for the two stygian great warriors. They use their blazing fast moves to take out vulnerable units such as archers or spell casters.

Priestess provides cover and disrupt the enemy with her various spells.

The starved are my first line, if they die no biggie, they might even go blood frenzy. It's the warriors and embalmed that will do the killing. I may also run the two great warriors along with the rest of the group if there are no good targets/safe approaches.

How about it?

Offline Stygian Warrior

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »
Good list though from my experience the swordsmen is not worth taking. The spells I use on my priestess are quicksand,sand storm, greater desert wyrm, and kiss of the goodess. With this I can carve up the battle field and attack the enemy as well. O- on the preistess drugged as shields are a must to keep her safe. The starved actually will do better than you think and help screen you;re units. Great warriors- mage killers  as well as harrasers they can tye up whole flanks by themselves. Remember move the whole army as if it was one unit keep it together and keep moving never stay still. Leap into the attack and attack in rolling waves we hit hard but we are fragile. The best unit to hunt archers is the reapers they rule archers. Well I am bone tired so I will post more when I can see straight.
The hosts are glorious in slaughter.

dagorauk

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 09:06:29 PM »
First...I'll second that you shouldn't bother to take swordsman. When my SoKs can soak up attacks from Stygian swordmen, it spells disaster for them...and SoK have the worst armor.

Anyway, tips.
First, have Starved in the front. They're crazy, and running them up ahead of the rest of the Stygies will force your opponent to either rush forward to try to get the chare, or come to a halt sooner to wait and hope you don't kill his models on the Leap.
Second, always have your Axemen run up ahead of the Spearmen. Axemen do nasty damage if you run out of base-to-base contact room, Spearmen have that 1" reach.
Third, make sure you get the right individuals for the right effect. Great Warriors are relatively cheap and are great for speedy flankers. A Tree Devil makes a great suicide assassin. Overall, I highly reccommend the Guardians. Those things are brutal, though slow.
Finally, make good use of spells. The Priestess has the widest variety of most viscious spells, use them.