Author Topic: Leap vs. Ram  (Read 4504 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Leap vs. Ram
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »
     O.K., per the explanation of special abilities on p89, I take it that if a stygian swordsman leaped into a horned one legionaire, who is on wait, that the hornedOne would be unable to countercharge.  I this is so , and the Horned One survived the attack, then the Horned One would be unable to use its RAM attack as he would already be in CC and therefore unable to charge, right?

the Horned One would only be able to come off wait and attack if the stygian had another action to go and interrupted by coming off of wait, right?

What about "Stand Fast"(p. 82)?  Leap says that if used and you land in CC then it counts as a charge, but the opponent does not get to counter charge.  If  you use Stand Fast then you are aware of the charge but don't(or in this case can't) counter-charge, but still force the initiative role to see who goes first.  Does Leap bypass Stand Fast?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:25:33 AM by DogOWar »
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Leap vs. Ram
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, Leap always goes first, and the waiting model standing fast may then swing.  If however, the model is braced, it goes before the leaping model.  I know some of this is in the FAQ that's pinned, but I can't remember if everything was spelled out.  Let's both consult that, and see how this works. 

To answer one part of your question, yes, Leap will take away the Ramming models, or Tusk Attack models, ability to do its' thing on the charge, because it can't charge in this situation.  Great special ability. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »
    I did consult the FAQ and all it really says is that leap beats brace (which I do not personally agree that it should, but hey, I didn't design the game so what does it really matter).   

The only other use that I can see off hand for Stand Fast is for models with shield wall that don;t want to break it to attack. But then, shield wall is a pretty useful ability and I can't see it being there to support another special ability without another use.

I can see this being argued both ways, I would just like to know if this has been considered and/or used.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Wedge

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:35:14 AM »
Josh, are you sure?  I thought braced models attacked leaping models first.

Standfast is also useful if you don't want to spread your troops out or get too close to the enemy models who are further back in the same squad.  If you countercharge forward you may be subjecting yourself to more charges by models that wouldn't have been able to reach you if you had stood fast.

Leaping models v. models standing fast:  the leaping model will attack first, if the model standing fast survives then he can attack.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
You got it Wedge.  Brace goes before Leap.  I thought I was clear, and split the thread to show Thom's ruling on it. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA