Author Topic: Dwarf Pics (All Clans)  (Read 98055 times)

Offline Daargrim

Re: Dwarf Pics (All Clans)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »
There is an entire thread in the main "Painting and Terrain" forum documenting how I built this beast, but I thought I would add pics here as well.

Dwarf War Totem (Torkha)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50:41 PM »
Vulture Impaler, using a common proxy...an old Grenadier model "Dwarven Giant Crossbow & Crew" (#937)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »
Great job! I think the thread for this conversion is one of the best I ever read. Thanks for posting here also.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »
Axe-Horn Warriors.  These were the first Horned Ones I painted so I figured out my color scheme with these before I built the War Totem.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:50:24 PM by Daargrim »

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
A warband of Dark-Star Warriors...I love this sculpt!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:50:39 PM by Daargrim »

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
Wow and wow. Just awesome. Great work on the bases also!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:47:46 PM by luckyone »
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »
Nice work on the "little people"  I like how they look, the bases are well done too.
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 07:36:06 AM »
Great color scheme....Check (I'm a bigger fan of using metallic colors rather than not, but you have gone a long way in "softening" my view of it--- impressive)

Great detail on the painting work....Check (love the detail you have put into the Axe-horn Warriors' faces)

Great basing of the figures....Check (can't say I have seen this style before---definately a good thing in a world of full of common modeling/hobby styles...I will say that I'm the biggest violater...can not help it :-\ )

Just two words....Quality Work.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 11:15:22 AM »
Great color scheme....Check (I'm a bigger fan of using metallic colors rather than not, but you have gone a long way in "softening" my view of it--- impressive)

Great detail on the painting work....Check (love the detail you have put into the Axe-horn Warriors' faces)

Great basing of the figures....Check (can't say I have seen this style before---definately a good thing in a world of full of common modeling/hobby styles...I will say that I'm the biggest violater...can not help it :-\ )

Just two words....Quality Work.

Thanks!

I really struggle to make metal look "realistic" with metallic paint so I've been experimenting with non-metallics.  As far as the bases, I am going with a unique"theme" for each of the Chronopia armies.  I decided to try and give my dwarves a "dry rocky desolate wasteland" sort of look with the ash-white rocks and the brown/dying grass struggling to grow.  I kinda like how its turning out.

Soooooooo....when is the next update in the Von Koss project log?  Your fans are eagerly waiting!

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
Well it took me a few months to complete these guys but they are finally done.  moving the whole family across the state tends to eat into your painting time...

Dwarf Vulture Crossbowmen

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 06:40:59 AM »
As usuall - just frickin awesome job. What kind of flock/static grass did you use on the bases?

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 07:59:02 AM »
As usuall - just frickin awesome job. What kind of flock/static grass did you use on the bases?

Thanks for the kind words!!

The static grass I use on the dwarves are from Gale Force 9.  I use two different ones: "Static Grass: Arid" and "Static Grass: Winter/Dead".  If you look closely you can see the two different colors (although they are pretty close). The crossbowmen came out a little "bushier" than I intended.  I think I would rather the rock-to-grass ratio be a little higer.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:04:38 AM by Daargrim »

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »
Daargrim -

I'm sure everyone who can't paint very well (line forms behind me) would like to know if you do comissions and if so how much per fig
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
1)  Thank you for taking the time to make your pics so clear.  I love to look at the color palette you have used on your models and your ability to take good clear photos helps me see the detail so much better.  Good job!  Only thing is, I wish I could take better pics so my models would be as clear.  I think after the holidays I'll experiment in getting more quality pics up in the old project log.

2)  I really like what you have done to the "gold" areas of the minis.  Can you tell us how you went about doing that and what colors you used to get that "gold" look.  Also, what colors did you use for the Vulture Clan Crossbowmen's gloves and capes?  That looks like something I could use on some Wood Elves.

3)  The Crossbowmen are superb and you have not lost any painting skill while you have been away.  Your attention to detail in painting/modeling/photographing is down right inspiring.

4)  I still have to go back every now and then to look at the Dark Star Warriors and the War Totem just to get a hobby fix when I'm a little slow to get painting.

Please keep going, you are on a roll with some very impressive work.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »

Thanks for the kind words!!

The static grass I use on the dwarves are from Gale Force 9.  I use two different ones: "Static Grass: Arid" and "Static Grass: Winter/Dead".  If you look closely you can see the two different colors (although they are pretty close). The crossbowmen came out a little "bushier" than I intended.  I think I would rather the rock-to-grass ratio be a little higer.

OK thanks, lukily I can get both locally.

The entire Capitol Army.