Author Topic: Card-based Game Engine  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Glenn M

Card-based Game Engine
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »
I know there have been card based game engines in the past, and while this isn't much different, I like the ease of use and how well it can be added to any game engine.

Take a standard deck of cards, pull all the face cards save the Kings.  Ace-10 represent 1-10, and the Kings are a Wild card that can be any value you choose.  Each player draws 5 cards, you may play one any time you would normally make a dice roll.  Once you have played all 5 of your cards, then you may draw a new hand.

The concept is that instead of a purely random game, you get a bit more flexibility and can strategically use your cards to affect the game outcome.

This would be a good system for a game where you have fewer dice rolls, maybe a small skirmish game, say 5 models per side.  Perhaps a ship of the line style game.

Just some thoughts, I have no specific plans for the concept, just thought it may be fun.

Later,
Glenn

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Card-based Game Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:01 AM »
the age old try to somehow tone the random-factor down..

in WZ this happens through a lot of dice rolls for something to happen (3 / guy shooting + 1-3 for the hits -> A 6 man squad ~30 rolls)

the "values pool" is a nice idea, never the less. challanging to ballance, but why not..

there is also the possibility to set up a chances deck with a changed amount of lower / higher values, reflecting army style/training..
(some CCG do this, with strong cards having low random values)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
Been pondering this a bit more and realized this is a great route to go for a miniature game.  Stay tuned for my own custom rules that are to be used with a standard deck o' cards.  Note, this will encourage small armies of Chronopia figures.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:49:12 PM »
Global Games released a tabletop game set in the Legions of Steel universe called Planetstorm that used a deck of cards to sete activiations. Works pretty well as I recall.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »
Actually this will be for all attacks and such as well.  I have been considering using suites for purposes as well.

Offline Jase

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »
Kenzer & co produced a table top game called 'Fairy Meat' where players were psychotic cannibal fairies hunting each other - it used a card based mechanic. Only glanced through it though before putting on the bookshelf. Must dig it out again once I've unpacked from the move.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
We're playing Savage Worlds these days which uses cards for initiative, and loving it.  Applying the same idea to the combat dice rolls would rock as well.  Try this Glenn: a pit-fighter/gladitorial combat between two models.  You've got the full deck and two jokers.  You'd have to basically construct a hand, or use an alternating card system to determine the outcome.  I'd try it one on one first, and see if it takes.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:27:55 AM »
We're playing Savage Worlds these days which uses cards for initiative, and loving it.  Applying the same idea to the combat dice rolls would rock as well.  Try this Glenn: a pit-fighter/gladitorial combat between two models.  You've got the full deck and two jokers.  You'd have to basically construct a hand, or use an alternating card system to determine the outcome.  I'd try it one on one first, and see if it takes.

Ye know... almost sounds like a spades game with a twist.  Might be something to think on...

Each player gets five cards.

p1: 2,5,10 of Hearts;  K of Clubs, Ace of Spades

p2: 3, 4 of Diamonds;  Queen, 10 Clubs, 6 Diamonds

Now, if all cards are equal and the only trump card is a Joker, this can make for some ties- which in a fantasy setting means it was a blocked attack. ( Nice when you think about it)

Look up above  p1 starts with 10 of Hearts, looking to make a mark rather fast.  P2 Counters 10 Diamonds for the block
p1 throws 5 of hearts, trying to feint and p2 counters with his 6 winning (p1 model takes a hit)
p2 turn to go first and he tosses his Queen... countered by the King (Back to p1 lead
P1 tosses his Ace... to p2 three.
p1 then sends his two out there to be pummelled, which p2's 4 does.

p1: Suffered 2 hits
p2 Suffered 2 hits

With five cards, I would make it 3 hits to drop.

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y