Author Topic: on the subject of reissue the rules....  (Read 13201 times)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
on the subject of reissue the rules....
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »
As TwoGun said, a reissue of the rules with different flluff and all that-  It could work... and using the current figures (if PA has all the molds at least) can fly with minimal re-do of force lists.

Really!!

And if you wanna go generic for some forces, it too can work.

Ok….  The ideas in my brain

Go with a semi-post apoc Earth- say 150 years in the future.  Some space travel but mostly to
Mars, Luna and a highly terraformed Venus

Energy Weapons are all ship and Large Tank based, as man-portable still is not cost effective/technology has not progressed to the point where it can be done reliably.

The Factions- and please keep in mind, minis for comapies like Victory Force and that *other* company can be subbed in.

North American Confederation (most of the US, Canada, Mexico):  Capitol Figs obviously.  Troops are armed as they are armed, which means Free Marines could have their blades back as an option (call it a 1 point option.)  Three possible Lists - Army (all infantry, rangers, scorpions), Navy (Heavy Infantry, all Marines, Seals (Sea lions) and a SOCOM list (Marines, Rangers, Seals only!)

Empire of the Sun (Japan, east Asia):  A return to the old days of Bushido and honor…  and Expansionism.  Mishima figs obviously.  There is plenty of figs out there that can be added to this to rep the Monk orders and such, between Francisco's and whatever Shawn Althouse found. A new troop type to represent Chinese Hordes but I think there are minis out there for this.  Stats could be equivalent to Cap LI but with few support weapon types.

English Protectorate (UK, Australia, NZ)  Not terribly has to be said- the established figs are fairly easy to spin into other stuff.  Regulars as Territorial Guard, Trenchers as Regular Army, The various Beret types as SAS set up for specific actions.  The Wolfbanes are very Road Warrior and I can see them as Aussie/New Zealand… or even Russian Far East (Siberia) as the former Soviet Union descended into areas of Anarchy.

Franco-Prussian Union (FPU):  Bauhaus and the German VF models.  Easy as hell to rep for this…. And can be fluffy.  Militia as French and German Guard, the Hussars being the Regular Forces and Dragoons being Royal Guard or something…

Citystate of Rome:  The Church goes Militant!! (like it never was before :) )

Russia… is a bit harder but doable with GW steel Legion figs.

Africa and the Middle East.  Almost anything as various factions and deserters went there to carve their own kingdoms- the South Africans being techno-savy enough to have good gear and could be Cybertronic- relying on Technology to do what they need for ground troops.

Cresentians could be used for them Jyhadists out of there… or some of the Assault Group figs.

Of Course, the UN would be built to a degree like the UN is from the Dirtside universe.  Good Gear and guns- just always damn outnumbered.  Maybe use Cadian or Marine Scout figs for them.  Who knows?

South America- Catachan figs. Nuff Said.

I know I am missing a lot of possibilities… but with minimal reworking of stuff and good fluff, very doable.

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: on the subject of reissue the rules....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
Very similar to some ideas Topkick had passed my way.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
Veez would be refering to this synopsis -

In the future the world has turned to nuclear power to off-set oil dependence and OPEC has declined in power. The EU provided an example that led to the NAFTA Alliance, the Pan-African Union, and the Southeast Asian Defense League. A religious revival leads to the major religions combining into the Universal Church. NATO has become a political and economic force of negotiation for the various factions.

In England Celtic separatists strike out against England for not joining the EU. Russia has declined to a shadow of itself and is no longer a major player. South America has become a dumping ground for toxic waste. Greenpeace and South American leaders report mutations but no believes them until the illegal mutants begin crossing borders and infiltrating the various alliances.

Because of the toxic pollutants some areas are declared unfit for humans and criminals enhanced with cybernetics and robots are sentenced to reclaim them. These rogues manipulate the world stock market and buy Australia for a base. They are hated and not trusted but they are mercs hiring out to do the jobs the other factions cannot do because of the toxic areas.

Brotherhood = Universal Church
Bauhaus = European Union
Capitol = NAFTA Alliance
Imperial = England
Mishima = Southeast Asian Defense League.
Cybertronic = Mercenary Freehold
Cresentian = Middle Eastern Caliphate
Templar = Pan African Union
Sons of Rasputin = Russian Confederation
Sons of Job = Celtic Rebel Front
Cults, Semai and Ilian = Children of the Antipode
Horde and remaining DL = Mutants
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:11:18 PM »
Very nice actually.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:03:35 AM »
Great work topick, you could make it that most of what we call the corporations live in supercities hence the technology rigid control, the arts become an new human enhancement/evolutionary step?
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »
Corporate City-States or semi-autonomous areas.  It would allow for a market for the corporations.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »
That said, I hate to say it but I kind of agree with the bunch that says "That's not Warzone".  If we are going to come up with our own product we should start from scratch.  Otherwise, I'd argue No Limits offers what you seem to be interested in; Warzone figures with whatever history you want to give them.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »
while the fluff is nice, i don´t neccessarily need "the" wz fluff.

a good game with good rules (and some house rules ;)) is fun enough.

esp. with almost no new fluff turning up.. :(
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »
Makes me happy The fluff you create is just for IP reasons.  As long as we all know what we're really playing.

Offline semai99

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »
I always thought there were a few armies missing from warzone whether as corporations or dark eden tribes.
The Chinese
Africa
India
Korea/SE asia
All of these have vast populations and descent economies as well
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »
We've all run this by Thom, and who knows?  I suggested an online troop builder for both the Fantasy and Sci-fi version of the rules.

If someone can pay their taxes online, why couldn't you build troops for a tabletop game? 

Thom's had serious reservations about an open game, because people tend to get carried away, and balance goes out the window. 

I like your ideas for a futuristic setting.  There are so many models out there that people can use that it would be folly not to.

In today's economic climate, with staggeringly high costs for tin/pewter, and recession looming on the horizon, anyone would be a fool to try to start up a game that didn't have some opportunity to use models from other lines.  You'd never be able to produce the ranges we've had for Chronopia and Warzone now, without having INSANE money to back you up, and no guarantee it would profit.

All agree, at today's prices none of us would have the armies we have now. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
Veez would be refering to this synopsis -

In the future the world has turned to nuclear power to off-set oil dependence and OPEC has declined in power. The EU provided an example that led to the NAFTA Alliance, the Pan-African Union, and the Southeast Asian Defense League. A religious revival leads to the major religions combining into the Universal Church. NATO has become a political and economic force of negotiation for the various factions.

In England Celtic separatists strike out against England for not joining the EU. Russia has declined to a shadow of itself and is no longer a major player. South America has become a dumping ground for toxic waste. Greenpeace and South American leaders report mutations but no believes them until the illegal mutants begin crossing borders and infiltrating the various alliances.

Because of the toxic pollutants some areas are declared unfit for humans and criminals enhanced with cybernetics and robots are sentenced to reclaim them. These rogues manipulate the world stock market and buy Australia for a base. They are hated and not trusted but they are mercs hiring out to do the jobs the other factions cannot do because of the toxic areas.

Brotherhood = Universal Church
Bauhaus = European Union
Capitol = NAFTA Alliance
Imperial = England
Mishima = Southeast Asian Defense League.
Cybertronic = Mercenary Freehold
Cresentian = Middle Eastern Caliphate
Templar = Pan African Union
Sons of Rasputin = Russian Confederation
Sons of Job = Celtic Rebel Front
Cults, Semai and Ilian = Children of the Antipode
Horde and remaining DL = Mutants

You could go the parallel world’s route. Where the various factions are different versions of earth warring with each other.
Easy way to explain the various tech Levels, powers, and pure funkyness of dark legion without any logic bending :P
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 01:06:22 AM »
this review explains every region of earth..

whats missing missed the step into space and got nuked.. yes WZ is dark       ;)

(is this the real, non released story, as there is no detail in the official fluff.. whats not there just seem to be missing and left to rot on earth, until "recently"..(dark eden sourcebook))

-> i don´t like the african army-concept for example.. i don´t know, i just don´t have the WZ-feeling.. (e.g. the caged lion drop..)
on the other hand, e.g. cybertronic does not "fit", but for me it has "the" feeling..  hmm

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:11:55 AM by NoTrollNick »
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:23:02 AM »
You could go the parallel world’s route. Where the various factions are different versions of earth warring with each other.
Easy way to explain the various tech Levels, powers, and pure funkyness of dark legion without any logic bending :P

I kind of like the parallel worlds setting. You could very easily use different existing parallel world-settings and apply them to the corporations.
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »

I kind of like the parallel worlds setting. You could very easily use different existing parallel world-settings and apply them to the corporations.

it also has the advantage of being different enough from the old fluff (copyrights being what they are)  but still be able to get the all the same things you want from it.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful