Author Topic: Gary Gygax  (Read 11789 times)

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
Gary Gygax
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »
One of the "big men" has passed.. here is the obit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_en_ot/obit_gygax

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Gary Gygax
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »
Gary was a great guy. One of the guys who introduced me to RPG's in college lived in Lake Geneva for awhile and gamed often with Gary and his son Luke. Sitting at the gaming table the 1 time I got to play with him was great. It was just a friendly setting at my friend's house. At that time he was developing Dangerous Journeys. I loved Boothill and we bull****ted about that game for several hours. God bless you Gary. Put me down for a seat at your table in the big game convention in the sky.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »
A sad day.  I'm thankful for his work and the great times and experiences I've had gaming. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »
RIP oh Great One. You will be missed.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »
Sad to see him go, he's one of the main reasons I play this hobby with a mate asking me to make a group up to strength after someone dropped out years ago, I can still remember some of those great D&D sessions now. Thanks for the memories.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Lopis

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:53:45 PM »
Oh man.

That isnīt good.

I hope he has a safe journey and maybe an adventure on the good side.

Seems we all have some good memories and have to be grateful for them. And this good man made them happen.

Solus honor cladem avertat !

Wedge

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »
Where's a high level cleric when you REALLY need one?

God speed GG!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
Rolling dice in the great Lawful Neutral Level in the sky.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
We'll save him a page in Deities and Demigods for "Gygax: Creator of Worlds."

RIP GG.

D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
There was a time in my life if it wasn't "by Gary Gygax" i did not even bother with it.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
If it were not for GG, many of us would not even be interested in gaming....certainly it was D&D that really started me. Yeah, I played Panzer Blitz, etc....but D&D was what changed everything.

RIP
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »
Hopefully they will lay him to rest in a proper place, where the monsters get tougher each level you go deeper!  (Stole that off BGG, but it was funny as heck!) 

D&D was and is still hugely important in my life.  Many great friends, fantastic adventures and the miniatures...

Godspeed Mr. Gygax, you have spread a lot of joy and happiness througout a gaming world that would not exist but for your imagination and hard work. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
Amen to everyone's comments.

If not for D&D , I might have become a skate punk, believe it or not (It was the books or a new board.  Books won)

Many friends met over that game and in many places (I played it in the desert, ferchristsake!),  many great memories.... and many stories shared ("Dude, there was this adventure where...") because of the (at the time simple) game he co-created.

A game of all things.  Can't beat that with a +5 Greatsword, much less a measley club.  Gary was a brilliant man and a gamer to his core of being.  The community will miss him... and I imagine many folks who had put down the game years ago will be rolling a die or two this night. just because of his passing.

Godspeed and may the tavern you arrive at up there be filled with grand mirth, good beer and great looking Tavern Wenches. ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:19:24 PM by Archer »
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
my comments would be much the same.  he gave many young boys, like myself, and outlet for our creativity and imagination, it filled many afternoons, evenings and weekends with good friends and has spawned a lifetime of memories.  his work introduced me to a broader level of fantasy books and gaming.  i have a wealth of memories that are in a large part owed to him.  was the game perfect, no, but what game is, but it allowed us to create, experiment, and gave a spring board for others to try numerous other systems. 

it also gave a safe haven for us geeks to be ourselves, not worry about others for the time being, allowed us to escape our too ordinary lives, where i could be a power wizard, warrior, sneaky thief, bold cavalier, seek a counter ego to what i really was, and never worry about criticism.  that escapism allowed me and continues to allow me to live a "normal" life.

lets honor his memory, and remember the only way this legacy lives on is by continuing to introduce new generations to rpgs, war gamming, etc.  i know i already look forward to the day i can teach my two young sons to play a variety of games, hopefully not just with dad, but with my gaming friends an their children as well.

rest well Gary, and may you be recieved in Valhalla well

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 05:15:40 AM »
I just found out today, been busy with work and missed the news.  D&D had a profound impact on my life, including my first career change.  Rest In Peace Gary!

BTW, over on Forum of Doom, Kev White mentioned the possiblity of doing a commemorative sculpt of Gary. 
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)