Author Topic: The maplewood warzone saga  (Read 281875 times)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: The maplewood warzone saga
« Reply #345 on: August 29, 2006, 05:12:02 AM »
Yep... I headed up to Maplewood. I figured that Id play a few games, have some fun and try out a new force comp all in one swoop.

Everything was going great, we decided on 1000points instead of 750 < more units is better right?>, we set up the table and then my heart sank.

Masher had come to the battle with VEHICLES!!!!! HOW DARE HE!!!!! HOW DARE HE RUIN MY FUN OF AN ALMOST ALL CC BATTLE!!!!!!  < Theres nothing worse than seeing vehicles when you brought almost no shooters  > Note to self, Karnophages dont like HMGs

The scenario was a great idea! Level 6 desert is no joke!  I had a blast. There is nothing like seeing a squad collapse from the heat upon deploying from a transport or a squad fall along with most of another squad into a desert sinkhole or even an Ezoghoul succumb to the desert while in CC with a vehicle and be -4 to CC.

Tho Im not the story teller Masher is I had a blast and highly recommend to anyone that is able to,  go up to Maplewood for a few games. The people are great and the gaming is incredible.

This I swear, I will exact vengence for my bullet riddled Karnos and my heat exhausted Slaughtermaster if its the last thing I do!!!!!!!

-phillysniper

Any time you want vengence you know where to find me
                                  and Lord Humungus will be waiting  ;)

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #346 on: August 29, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »
Here at work I was thinking some more on thios

My first thought is that forcing the attacker to assault the train while moving allows the defender to have too many advantages. Defenders will have hard cover from the train cars, and be at minuses to hit for fast moving targets. Once the attackers are onboard these advantages will be negated but it will be a bear to board.

I thinking some train cars would be flat beds (with crates of course) and roofed cars, meaning if your in the car you can only shot out the windows or step between cars , where angle of shots would be an issue. giving the defender a chance. plus attackers have options...read on ;)

The obvious answer is to find a way to level the playing field. Possibilities would include:     
- Having the troops board from a trestle or bridge as the train goes under it
- Having them jump aboard as the train comes out a tunnel.
- Having the troops in a ravine near a steep upgrade and rush the train while it slowed.
   o greasing the rails would help

I'm on the same page with you on this.
scenario makes the assumption that attackers greased the rails allowing to board d3 units on the last 2 rail cars.
to get rest of the army on board attacker can.

1. paradeploy ...good luck with that scatter with train cars being any where from 5" to 6" wide that would be one impressive stunt for record books.  But man if you can pull it off the post game smack talk.
the avantage of this is you can have your choice of cars you want to land in (except for the first 2).

2. infiltrate. one of the safest ways to get onboard. roll d6 start counting from the 3rd car from the rear. This is how far the unit sneak in before fighting starts.

3. teleport ...might give out negtive modifers to try this, dont know I'll think on this one. but it be the same as paradeploy in your choice of cars you teleport onto.

4. jumping form a overpass (cave,bridge, watertower) train.  safer then paradeploy but still risky , but all so kool.
each unit attempting to jump on to the train roll a d3 this is how many turns it takes before the train has come to an over pass. treat as infiltrate to determine what car they land in they also have to start on the roof if the train car is not a flat bed.
Might make this a LD check what  you miss by is how many inches you scattered.

5. Transports. Using a troop carrier to drive right to car and have a unit troopers climb aboard. The attacker can have his choice any train car (except the first 2). Climbing rolls are need if the model miss the roll it dies. Transport can not ride back bring another unit. The train would long gone by then, but it can have loot toss to it and drive off. 
Toss loot  cost an action no roll is needed but the transport needs to be right next to train car with the loot.
Other vehicals (other then bikes) can carry one loot marker, transports car 3 loot markes???

Defenders:
can set up his units anywhere on the train.
the only other units besides troopers allowed are flying units ( they fly "shotgun" ) along side the train as long as they got movement stat of 5".

what you think. Remember for me the train "model" isnt moving so everything else is acting upon it. 

2. If you fight on the roof and suffer a knock down affect (some weapons and abilities can do this) you might fall off and die.
Actually any weapon hit would cause a check for falling. Balance on a train would be tricky and the impact of high caliber rounds even if it bounces off would be a severe hazard. I’d recommend a LD check as it would measure if the fig reacted fast enough to grab onto something and save himself. Failure would be falling off the train which regardless of survival would put them out of the game.

I have to think about this. theres alot scenarios rules as is maybe if they pass there armor check by 4 or more their good any less they roll off the roof. maybe give them a LD save if you want to be nice. How does this sound?

3. Loot counters you can escape safe off the train with or kill everyone onboard, stopping the train and unload at your leisure. Or you could drive up a transport and throw the loot over to it while the train is moving.
Good idea – it gives a reason to assault the train.

thats why you dont blow up the train. You need the goods undamaged. ;)

4. Maybe a turn limit. The train route is only so long before it makes it to the Cobra base.
A turn limit could work but I would probably run this as a variation of the Convoy Scenario provided in the UWZ book. Put 2 or 3 tables together lengthwise and assign the train a movement value. These tables represent the area where the train can safely be assaulted. While in this area the train is too far from a Cobra checkpoint to receive support.  At the end of every turn move the train marker that many inches to the far table edge. When the train reaches the far edge of the board the assault must be broken off.

I might play this with no turn limit at all now that think about....Hmmmm need to play this out and see how it flows.
usually put a turn limit to force the players to act. Loot counters might be enough to do the trick

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 11:38:32 AM by masherking »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #347 on: August 30, 2006, 05:16:10 AM »
Perhaps we could get a game in this sunday, during 40 hours of 40k. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #348 on: August 30, 2006, 05:44:47 AM »
right after Blood bowl

might still do little BFG
feel bad leaving the steve and his crew alone with serge for too long. :P

I think  we should be able to snag some table space.
I mean really how many 40k players can there be :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:19:20 AM by masherking »

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2006, 05:54:41 AM »
Perhaps we could get a game in this sunday, during 40 hours of 40k. :)

I was planning to make a trip to home depot in a 2 weeks to get what I need  for  the train scenario.
also plan in finaling doing that nick micheals game ::) its the one scenario we just never get too.  :'(
Alas sooooo many games soooooo little time. having that necromunda itch lately isnt helping :P

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #350 on: August 30, 2006, 07:46:44 AM »
I'll bring the doom tiles sunday.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Iron Panda

« Reply #351 on: August 31, 2006, 04:24:39 PM »
The train idea is sweet! 

When will the scenario be set up? 

Alas sooooo many games soooooo little time. having that necromunda itch lately isnt helping

Yup!  I know the feeling.  I'm having that gaming itch lately after some time off.  As for Necromunda,  my Goliaths are busy hitting the gym and practicing their Schwarzenneger accents.

Come to think of it,  Saturday and Sunday gaming extravaganza once a month at Maplewood would rock!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #352 on: August 31, 2006, 08:00:57 PM »
The train idea is sweet!

When will the scenario be set up?

Alas sooooo many games soooooo little time. having that necromunda itch lately isnt helping

Yup! I know the feeling. I'm having that gaming itch lately after some time off. As for Necromunda, my Goliaths are busy hitting the gym and practicing their Schwarzenneger accents.

Come to think of it, Saturday and Sunday gaming extravaganza once a month at Maplewood would rock!

LOL
I got Goliaths (the NRA)
I think steve wants Goliaths too (I told him he can hurl people off roofs he was sold).
now all of us can hurl serges gang off the roof ;D

oh we are doing the train just give me a few weeks to buy some stuff to make the train cars.
Hope home depot still cuts wood.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:18:40 AM by masherking »

Iron Panda

« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2006, 04:09:52 AM »
Home Depot.... always a good experience going in there, especially returning stuff.

As for Necromunda,  we should do all Goliaths and throw people off the gantries.... and each other.

Wheee!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #354 on: September 07, 2006, 07:20:58 AM »
So, Shall we be rescuing Nick Michaels this weekend?
It's been a long time coming. :)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #355 on: September 07, 2006, 08:56:36 AM »
YES
let this weekend belong to nick. 8)

the only other game this weekend so far is Blood bowl against Whit with my Von Hellsing Hellblazers.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #356 on: September 07, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
Hmm.... there needs to be a Warzone version of Blood Bowl.... :)

Offline mchiao

« Reply #357 on: September 07, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »
Sorry guys, I wont be able to join you guys.  At least not for a while.  In the mean time, I'll be checking the forum for updates.

SOB...

:'(

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: September 07, 2006, 12:33:58 PM »
That's ok, we'll keep the tables warm for ya. :)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #359 on: September 07, 2006, 03:12:34 PM »
Hmm.... there needs to be a Warzone version of Blood Bowl.... :)

Got a copy of the Rollerball rules that were showcased in another thread. Am reviewing them now to see if they are good as is or need adapted to work for Warzone. I remain confident that God never lets anyone die with unfinished business. Looking at my to do list I should live til 4257 AD  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890