Author Topic: The maplewood warzone saga  (Read 283862 times)

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
Re: The maplewood warzone saga
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2006, 09:11:01 AM »
Damn your headhunters!! damn their eyes!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »
There are several APC's that could work but if you want to come closest to the description of the Vermin check out the Scotia-Grendel ATAC. An US company (MegaMinis?) picked up the rights and will be producing them in the next few months. I plan on picking up one and if I do anything to it I will replace the chaingun it comes with with a plastic charger from the Regulars. Any of the generic or Warhammer ones would work but as a favor to your fellow players eliminate the GW imperial eagle as it seems to cause some players to go into fits.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2006, 02:56:18 PM »
Glad to see someone else playing the wolfbanes, they're a hard army to learn.  Here's a few lessons I've learned.

Be careful with stealth, it can leave your non stealth units open to fire they otherwise wouldn't have recieved, since stealth units don't count when determining target priority.  With stealth grunts this can leave your elites to take all your opponents fire.  Also remember they cannot try to spot you until you are within their leadership in inches, which pretty much guarentees you close range, especially against a low leadership army like Capitol or DL.

Always buy smoke when you can.

Forget the Wolfpack support, at least in my games its never proved effective enough that I would be willing to give up either a Hurricane or a Vermin.  Both of which are outstanding support units for a wolfpack force: The Hurrican can shoot and move with a single action and has that handy smoke launcher that isn't limited to once per turn like your squad leaders UBGL so you can put out a high volume of level 3 smoke to cover multiple angles your opponent might attack from, plus its high armor can let it lead the charge and divert fire from the more squishy wolfbanes its supporting.  The Vermin can get your units up close in a hurry, also I can't remember if loading and unloading from a Vermin gets rid of stealth or not, if not dropping off a still stealthed unit in close range and then activating them can get you a quick means to break an opponents unit, especially effective with headhunters.

As with all CC forces get as much terrain on the board as you conceivably can, and then use it to your advantage.  Staying out of LOS until your within one activation of your opponents is always the best plan when possible.

In my opinion there is no better CC unit in the game than the Mourning Wolves, though the Machinators come close.  They prevent your opponent from breaking away which usually forces them to use a less effective weapon like a pistol, or better yet leaves them without a weapon capable of attacking altogether.

As far as force compositon, my elite choices are usually Headhunters and Mourning Wolves, for grunts I prefer Wolfbains to Wolfbairn for the extra stealth plus the shotgun, though the extra cost is sometimes a factor in this decision.  Remeber that you can choose freely off the IDMF list which gives you a few more creative options, like paradeploying Blood Berets at the back of your opponents lines on the same turn your Wolfpack hits the front, or using regulars for some more fire support.  For individuals you can't go wrong with my namesake, the sole survivor of clan Gallagher, Sean.

Keep at it and post some more reports of your Wolfbanes.  Its just about the closest I get  to playing these days.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:22:09 PM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2006, 03:08:01 PM »
Dont have an APC.  Got a Grizzily tho...

I can take care of that if you are interested...
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #334 on: August 22, 2006, 06:22:15 AM »
I'm thinking of bringing the Penal Legion with me this sunday (Freedom Brigades and Free Marines... maybe A Great Grey to keep 'em in line)

Prepare for Operation: PAWN SACRIFICE.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #335 on: August 22, 2006, 06:28:11 AM »
I'm thinking of bringing the Penal Legion with me this sunday (Freedom Brigades and Free Marines... maybe A Great Grey to keep 'em in line)

Prepare for Operation: PAWN SACRIFICE.

Damn your penal legions
 damn their eyes...

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »
Phillysniper is coming down this sunday with his Dark Legion and wanted to play in a scenerio....no really it was his idea.

so briefly here its. (I might not have the time to write this later before sunday ::))

Scenerio: Falling Star

Cartel Securtiy Cruiser carrying something of importance is ambush by Dark Legion spacecrafts .  It crashes on Dark Eden, few Miles outside of BarterTown. The various Factions of Bartertown see the ship go down and race to claim the valuable salvage.
Dark legion ship lands nearby to finish what it started.
Corprate Outposts on Eden see the Dark Legion ship land and race off to confort them and claim what their after.   

Special rules: Desert envirmental rules. Level 6

Players: phillysniper-Dark Legion
              Masherking- Wolfpack aka Mad MAX army

pts. 1000pts

I'll Flesh this out a little more when I have more time (and rulebook handy  :P)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:19:53 PM by masherking »

Offline mchiao

« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2006, 07:21:24 PM »
I can play Dark Eden (Lutheran, Temlars or Crescentians)  or Dark Legion.  Cartel is on its own, I guess?  Wait, Masher, you the only one that has cartel...

Maybe 750?  I may not be able to finish 1000pt game espeically with 4 or 5 people game...

Use force card?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #338 on: August 26, 2006, 06:06:51 AM »
I can play Dark Eden (Lutheran, Temlars or Crescentians)  or Dark Legion.  Cartel is on its own, I guess?  Wait, Masher, you the only one that has cartel...

Maybe 750?  I may not be able to finish 1000pt game espeically with 4 or 5 people game...

Use force card?

points not written in stone it depends how many show up to play.
also I know philly wants to get a few games in.
he said he'll be at the store around 11:30.

maybe you and philly can play a 1 on1 game that way ( I know you got time issues).
If not and want to try this scenerio out ALL force are welcome...its dark eden anything goes  8)

Offline mchiao

« Reply #339 on: August 26, 2006, 12:05:45 PM »
I thought it is going to be a scenario?  If no preference, I'll play Dark Legion then...

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #340 on: August 26, 2006, 03:35:59 PM »
Well we have at least 3 prob 4 showing up. So lets run the scenario with 750 points. Then if we have time we can do 1 on1s or whatever.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #341 on: August 28, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
I was tossing around an idea for a scenario and wanted to see what others would do with this concept.

The Idea: Snake Way
   Corba has few camps on dark eden (who doesnt) and have been using an old rail road system to move supplies, people, weapons between them. the Locals call it "snake way". Some Locals/corpations get in there head to rob the train between camps.

my thoughts:
1. the terrain would be set up like a train with inside map of the cars and outside map of on top of the cars. the train is motion the whole time.

2. if you fight on the roof and suffer a knock down affect ( some weapons and abilites can do this) you might fall off and die.

3.loot counters you can escape safe off the train with the counters (jump packs come to mind) or kill everyone onboard their stopping the train and unload at your leisure,  drive up a transport and throw the loot over to it.

4. maybe a turn limit,  The train route is only so long before it makes it to the corbra base

I dont know but I think this would fun.
what do guys think.

On a side note.
I'll try to post tonight the battlereport between Phillysniper and I.   THE ROADWARRIORS OF BARTERTOWN  vrs. DARK LEGION
in the Falling Star scenario.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:45:13 AM by masherking »

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #342 on: August 28, 2006, 01:01:33 PM »
The Idea: Snake Way

Cobra has few camps on Dark Eden (who doesn’t) and have been using an old railroad system to move supplies, people, and weapons between them. The Locals call it "Snake Way". Some Locals/Corporations get in there head to rob the train between camps.

My thoughts:

1. The terrain would be set up like a train with inside map of the cars and outside map of on top of the cars. The train is motion the whole time.
My first thought is that forcing the attacker to assault the train while moving allows the defender to have too many advantages. Defenders will have hard cover from the train cars, and be at minuses to hit for fast moving targets. Once the attackers are onboard these advantages will be negated but it will be a bear to board.

The obvious answer is to find a way to level the playing field. Possibilities would include:     
- Having the troops board from a trestle or bridge as the train goes under it
- Having them jump aboard as the train comes out a tunnel.
- Having the troops in a ravine near a steep upgrade and rush the train while it slowed.
   o greasing the rails would help – (rent Emperor of the North for a visual) as would a diversionary attack.
Maps are okay but it would be cool to have an actual train. Someone on The Miniatures Page dot com made a simple but fine looking monorail bullet train. You might want to look over it to see if you could adapt his plans to have lift off tops and make this a 3D scenario
http://theminiaturespage.com/workbench/122571/

2. If you fight on the roof and suffer a knock down affect (some weapons and abilities can do this) you might fall off and die.
Actually any weapon hit would cause a check for falling. Balance on a train would be tricky and the impact of high caliber rounds even if it bounces off would be a severe hazard. I’d recommend a LD check as it would measure if the fig reacted fast enough to grab onto something and save himself. Failure would be falling off the train which regardless of survival would put them out of the game.

3. Loot counters you can escape safe off the train with or kill everyone onboard, stopping the train and unload at your leisure. Or you could drive up a transport and throw the loot over to it while the train is moving.
Good idea – it gives a reason to assault the train.

4. Maybe a turn limit. The train route is only so long before it makes it to the Cobra base.
A turn limit could work but I would probably run this as a variation of the Convoy Scenario provided in the UWZ book. Put 2 or 3 tables together lengthwise and assign the train a movement value. These tables represent the area where the train can safely be assaulted. While in this area the train is too far from a Cobra checkpoint to receive support.  At the end of every turn move the train marker that many inches to the far table edge. When the train reaches the far edge of the board the assault must be broken off.

I don’t know but I think this would fun. What do guys think?
Excellent scenario. Please be sure to include it in the Maplewood Saga Reports. May I run it around here – giving you the writing credit of course?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:08:26 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #343 on: August 28, 2006, 04:30:05 PM »
thanks topkick
great input as always.

thinking the train is something like 10???cars long plus engine

my first thought the train stays stationary on the table, everything else moves  ;)

I was thinking that maybe the attackers can start the game at the rear car.
deep strikers (para deploy, teleporters, etc etc.) would start  ,If they succeed, something like
d6 cars in.

vehicals need at least a move stat of 5 or be out paced. they can use an action to move up  one car. if at any point they are not faceing forward or spending an action to hold their place they drop back one car.
   ...or something like this. 
transport can move troops in this way but climb checks are need for the troops leaving the transport and jumping on to the train (man that sounds kool)

if you can get to the engine car and lay a demo charge (small charge  :P) stop the train cold.
might drop this idea for it does sound a little silly.

I would like to make the train up as terrain not a mere map. I have idea to do this simiply.

might make enviroment table for the train....if on the roof fail check means low hanging water tower, cave, lights cut out...you get the idea.

I'm gone work on this. Starting to really dig this idea.
make a great con game  ;)

Of course when we play this I'll post it here first.
with details on how we did this.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 04:34:30 PM by masherking »

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #344 on: August 28, 2006, 06:31:23 PM »
Lord Humungus stood at top of the battered armored truck. Though a old mike began to preach to the faithful; the road warriors, drifters, and murders of Barter Town. They listened in awe.

He preach that though him
every man will have food.
 every man would have fuel.
 every man will have Whores!
and when he had their undivided attention.  Lord Humungus, Great Prophet of the Waste, the un- conquerable one, THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA preached of a sign from the heavens would be sent to lite their road to greatness.
          ...as if on cue.
A loud boom followed by long scar of black bellowing smoke and fire cut across the sky dropping out of view.

Lord Humungus not missing a beat.
                          "There my DOGS .... lets Fetch our Destiny!!"
with the sounds of battle cry's, random guns fired into the air and the load roar of engines. The men of Barter Town rode out to fellow the black scar across the sky and meet their fate head on.

on board the doomed Cartel security cruiser.
               "MAY DAY..MAY DAY WE ARE UNDER DARK LEGION ATTACK."
                         "THIS THE CSC RONWELL WE ARE DARK...LEGION...ATTACK..
                                      GONNA...CRASH ON EARTH....HELP US....."

on board the AZOGHAR.
               The Necromutant captain was pleased. On the large sony view screen he watched the ships tubro blasters score a direct hit on the Cartel cruiser sending it crashing into the earth. He turned to his necrobiotic communications officer.
              " Send a message to the Bleeding Prophet. Tell him the cartel ship was where he said it would be and that I'm sending down a force to retrieve what's left of it."

Phillysniper and I played the Falling Star scenario. As always it was blast playing him. What I like he comes to a game with plan at sticks to it ,  its Ususally a damn good plan. ;)

the goal of the game was to get within 3'' of the crashed ship placed in the center. The one with the most points within 6 + a die roll turns  wins.
the game was played on 2 tables. Faceing each other the long way.

strangely enough we both decide (without talk about before hand) to try armies neither one us ever played before and it turn out to be a weird mix.

he had a strong Close combat Dark Legion Force and I had My Mad max army loads of grunts
and vehiclals (fenris bikes, Necromowers...you get the idea). Though philly did have stalking units (very scary even for my trucks)  at the end of the day the necromowers,  bikes and cheap grunts ( never underestimate a cheap grunt with smg)  proved to be to much for the all CC army.

Thoughts on the game.
Lots of fun. Desert enviroment rules are brutal (level 6)
I had guys collapse (right when they disembark from my vermin to boot) other units fall into sinkholes.
funnest is seeing the slaughter master drop from the desert heat ;D

I got really lucky if I was playing anything else philly list would be evil.
as it was I had units that can fire and move. With the ultra change I was able to really wear out his troops and my loads of grunts were able to claim the prize.

Also it was neat seeing how other people play the game. at maplewood we are use to playing one way while others have slightly different take.

Philly thanks for coming down to jersey
hope you had fun, and that I see you and the rest of gang down the road one day.

hopefully he'll post and share his thoughts on the game ;)
and ways I can make running games of warzone at maplewood better.

On one side Dark Legion.
An army of monsters, fanatic cultist and things better left unsaid.
With an Unholy cry to their dark masters they march foward.

The other side. The harden road warriors of Barter Town.
Tempered by the harsh realities of Dark Eden.
 Led by Lord Humungus.
On bikes and battered trucks they ride.

in the center what's left of the CSC RONWELL. The ship split in half from the crash.
everyone dead or dying....except one.

The battle raged. Bikers surged forward cutting down everything in their way, man and monster alike.
        Agents of evil appeared out of nowhere. Dripping red with blood from the carnage they caused.
     For hours they fought but in the end it was the guns and will of the men from Barter Town that won. What they didn't kill fled to what ever dark hole they came from.

They began to loot the wreak ship when one of the men called out to Lord Humungus that found something of interest. This part of wreck was an intact section of several a joining rooms.
he  pointed to one with its door ajar.
                 "that one Lord Humungus."

Lord Humungus step up and open the door. Inside, in the center of tossed remains of the room was little dark skinned Girl unhurt and un-phased  by the day's events. Humungus first thought was she make fine trade...after the men were done with her ( he almost giggled to himself ). Reaching in to claim her as his he made eye contact...he stop moving... "why am I stopping"..those eyes..."who is this whore!!" he yelled , everyone around him stopping in their tracks.
    "Help me out here." the little girl said in a little girl voice.
Lord Humungus did as he was  told, pick her up as gentle as he could...it was those eyes...he had no choice. in those eyes lay the fate of everything. He felt it in his bones, though her laid his destiny and more.
                       "You ask me who I 'am"
                           "I'll tell you. I'm the one who would change the face of EDEN!"
                                  " Take me to my new home."
      no one  questioned her, why should they. This was heavens gift to the earth alone. With out it being said They all knew it. There was no dout. just being close to her some thing was different that no one could put their finger on. Maybe it's something in the air around her..maybe it was them. being near her makes them a little different somehow.

The men of Barter Town plus one girl rode back home
                                      and nothing will ever be the same again. 

.....it would be a few years but road warriors would come to  call her
                                                        Auntie.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:06:25 PM by masherking »