Author Topic: The maplewood warzone saga  (Read 280162 times)

Iron Panda

Re: The maplewood warzone saga
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2006, 03:41:50 PM »
I might try the Dogs of War again, or put together those Mishima, to see how they work out

Everytime I see, "Dogs of War", it reminds me of frilly dressed pikemen and their garishly dressed quartermasters.. ;)

Anyway, here's the fluff for the next scenario:

A Little Detour to Nowhere

"So Sarge, what do you think?", Captain Jarek said to the grizzled Peacekeeper next to him.  "It's just a little side trip from the main waypoint and with all these rocks floating about, its easy to get "lost" and no one will be the wiser."  Sergeant Reilly glanced at the screen and the apprehensive look of the Cartel frigate captain.  This was an opportunity of a lifetime.  Four days ago, they were at some Cardinal forsaken asteriod fighting the forces of the Dark Legion and now they were destined to die in another rock.  But still...
They have picked up a transponder from a crash-landed ship in a ring of asteriods on this side of Jupiter and upon cross referencing shipping records, it came up as a the Bountiful Venture, an infamous  slaver ship which disappeared over a hundred years ago.  It was never established if the ship was still intact of its riches but a little investigation was in order.  O'Reilly, after a long pensive stare, said, "Captain, it's time to get a raise. "

Ugh, fluff's not so epic as I might have though this would be.  But its basically a "smash and grab" scenario.  Squads have to search several superstructures to look for some loot while fending off marauding Dark Legion .  If they found some stuff (roll under a 10) they'll then carry it off the table's edge.

Let me know if this scenario is doable.  It might look cool on paper, but just unwieldy in practice

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:48:49 PM by Iron Panda »

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2006, 04:34:14 PM »
If you want a random element to searching the buildings I would make it some sort of leadership check, since leadership is the statistic used for spotting and this also rewards the player who's willing to take a little risk and play more aggressively with his highier leadership individuals.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »

I think its great
how many points
pick the terrain (how much, how little, what kind)
theres chronopia scenario in the main book thats somewhat  like this.

and for as fluff not all if it has to be epic , just fun to read  ;)
this reminds me of a old world war 2 movie where GI's come up with a plan to steal nazi gold from a german bank. 
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Iron Panda

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2006, 05:48:30 AM »
this reminds me of a old world war 2 movie where GI's come up with a plan to steal nazi gold from a german bank.

Dude!!

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

Kelly's Heroes! A funny war movie with a great cast of characters.  Gotta check out Donald Sutherland, he's blasted out of his skull in that one. 

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »
Kelly's Heroes! A funny war movie with a great cast of characters.  Gotta check out Donald Sutherland, he's blasted out of his skull in that one. 

I love that movie, too!

Here is a "little" refresher for those that don't remember it.

http://www.classictrailers.co.uk/kelly.html

I don't think you could get a better cast for that film!

Also, I think that this scenario would be fun to try.  Even if it didn't work as well as one might hope, it would still be a fun time. 8)

Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2006, 08:51:42 AM »
Kelly's Hero is seriously kool idea.

how about this for idea:
       we could use gold coins ( I got lots from a pirate game) scattered across the board. when you get to base to base with one you flip it ( one coin is marked gold).
        An evil version of this idea; you give the coins to some of the dark legion models to carry. For me to get it I have kill the model, get to base to base with gold coin (the one the model was carrying) then flip it to see ifs the loot I'm looking for. You can almost see it as looking though the dead bodies for the keys into the vault.

so what are you useing for the tiger tank at the end of the movie. The one guarding the bank...... a Bio-Giant maybe  hmmmmmmmm....

This is your baby Iron Panda set it up anyway you like. I'm game.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 10:47:00 AM by masherking »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »
I look forward to watching this game and injecting much smacktalk. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Iron Panda

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »
I look forward to watching this game and injecting much smacktalk.

Yeah, baby!!! Jibba, bring in your Hello Kitty Sentai Team Super Go! figs and join in the fun!!

You know what, I'm not quite sure how to go about this.  Bringing another faction in say, Mishima (Hello Kitty Sentai Team Super Go!, Damn, I love that title!) Capitol or even Serge's Bauhaus (Bauhauser's might too proud to partake in looting, but hey, you never know) would make a great, epic storyline but it might get way too unwieldy. We'll play it by ear when the time comes, I guess.

As for refining the scenario:

500 points
Full table (or half, can't remember the dimensions)
Maze like terrain simulating the insides of a ship with ramparts, ladders, rooms, holds,corridors and what not.

I'd like to incorporate Gallagher's LD roll idea.  It's more logical and the coins are cool too.  Let's see...
Enter a room.  Make a LD test if  passed, use coin.  Get coin off table's edge.  As for the evil version, it's awesome! I'll have some coins on some of the DL figs and work it up in the fluff.

Alright, and now, the fluff:

Cartel Peacekeeper Gregor Hagopian did not not even give it a thought.  He's going inside the crashed ship and get the loot himself.  Forget protocol.  This was a slaver ship and its bound to have some shiny things.  Too bad, he caught the attention of several of his squad mates, which were now tagging along. This infuriated him to no end, but at least, they were of like mind and not wont to report to the Sarge about their covert venture. 

The ship was cavernous, its insulated wires snaking about like intestines.  Their footsteps reverberating across the corridor.  Hagopian wasn't enthused with his company but was now glad for their presence.  This place gave him the willies and then some!!  There wasn't much "shiny things" inside this part of the ship.  Just broken machines, dangling wires, all scrap really, and nothing worth scavenging.  Hagopian signalled his team to descend one more level and explore the ship further, afterwards, they'll just abandon this fruitless venture and be on their way back to the entrance. 

After several minutes exploring what appeared to be the ship's hold, an unexpected sight awaited them .  There were rows of cells across the corridor  and  inside were mummified remains which vaguely looked human.  What Hagopian found disturbing was some of them were misshapen in some way.  Calcinous growths studded their skeletal heads and their limbs twisted beyond normal human configurations.  But their faces....

One of his squadmates, Peacekeeper Jin, a veteran of many campaigns, yelled and started shooting at the darkening corridor ahead.  Shadows flew about engulfing what few illumination that the team could muster. Movements from different angles and low moaning sounds begin to flood them.  "Form up!", Hagopian yelled into his comm bead. "And let's get back topside!" As they ran, Hagopian could swore he saw the cells open up...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 07:46:22 PM by Iron Panda »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2006, 08:42:35 PM »
An abandoned spaceship, dark passageways, enemies in the dark (maybe the undead don't show up on infrared!)...very Aliens. 

You guys gotta take pictures!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 05:10:11 AM »
its kelly's heros meets aliens.

So Panda you still wanna play it at the con.
If so I can bring some terrian.
I'll be there thurs, most of friday (took the day off from work) and whole weekend.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:24:19 AM by masherking »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 06:51:52 AM »
I can make sure you guys have enough table space.

I've gone mad with my very limited amount of power!!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Iron Panda

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2006, 07:24:51 AM »
Hmmm,

Friday sounds cool.  There's a chance I can take a Friday off, but it's still iffy.    I can't make it on the weekend though, so, my sincerest apologies.
Also,  I haven't painted my figs yet, so are they usually frowned upon in the convention?

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2006, 07:59:03 AM »
I won't give you a hassle.

Offline Davesaint

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 08:25:14 AM »
You should have Imperial show up instead of Capitol.  It would be just like those Brits to find a way to muck things up for Kelly's Heros.   ;)

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 09:15:42 AM »
hmmmm... I do have 80 plastic Regulars...