Author Topic: stripping models (not like that...)  (Read 9357 times)

Offline Moe

stripping models (not like that...)
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
whats the "brake fluid method" of stripping them? straight brake fluid? let em soak? whats the deal?
ebay name- meislee

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: stripping models (not like that...)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
pure break fluid.

takes some time, let it soak.

the color will partly dissove, and partly fall away from the figs in frazzles

a toothbrush will do the final cleanup.

+ you can strip plastics  (no damage whatsoever)
+ lesser smell than volatileling-fluids

- the fig needs a break-fluid cleaning step
- slower than Aceton (nail polish remover*)

=> best for plastic-figs

* if you do use the nail polish remover, be aware, some contain oil -> oil removing step....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:42:54 AM by NoTrollNick »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 04:35:58 AM »
Non-acetone nail polish remover works better-easier on plastics and takes the paint off better.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:33:37 AM »
Arwe talking about brake fluid (the fluid that actuates the brake system) or brake cleaner (the aerosol that is used to clean dirt and grime off of car parts)?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »
Brake fluid.  I've used it to good success but it is an envronmetal hazard and should not be thrown in the trash or poured down the drain.  To dispose of it, pour it in a pan of cat litter and leave it out to evaporate (per Popular Mechanics).  Non-acetone nail polish remover will evaporate on its own.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:42:07 AM »
I have had success with just soaking them in pinesol overnight.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Moe

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
the brake fluid was taking to long so i used acetone, i get it free from a paint store, and a toothbrush. all my models are metal and it works very well. i let em soak for a little while till the acetone gets cloudy, 30-60 mins , then scrub em all down. some i had to do twice cause they were really messy. and there is no clean up, and it leaves them clean and ready.
ebay name- meislee

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »
Just out of curiosity, which store gives it away free?

Offline Moe

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:53 AM »
haha i used to work at a paint store, it was my first job. the manager and i became good friends, so when i need little things i get em free and when i need bigger orders i get a major discount.
ebay name- meislee

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:03:48 AM »
I've used Simple Green cleaning solution.  'Works pretty well. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »
I've had great success with some a nice bottle of red, a little candlelight, and a homemade dinner,

but hey, if you can make it happen using floor cleaner, I am in AWE!

;)

D

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:37:11 AM »
I've had great success with some a nice bottle of red, a little candlelight, and a homemade dinner,

but hey, if you can make it happen using floor cleaner, I am in AWE!

;)

D

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  :D
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Wedge

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »
Pine sol or simple green is the best "nature friendly" option.  Brake-fluid, while effective is dangerous if you use it too much or aren't careful with it:

Here is the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on regular every-day brake fluid:

Acute Health Effects: From MSDS
Eye Contact: May cause severe irritation, temporary changes in the corneal epithelium, and diminished sensation.
Skin Contact: May cause irritation. Brake fluid may be slowly absorbed through the skin. Excessive exposure for extended periods of time involving large areas of skin would be necessary for absorption of harmful amounts.
Ingestion: Kidney damage and hepatotoxicity may occur if substantial amounts are ingested.
Inhalation: Inhalation is not expected due to the relatively low volatility of this product. Inhalation of fumes or mists caused by heating or agitating may cause respiratory irritation and have a systemic effect.

Chronic Health Effects: MSDS:
Repeated inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption of small amounts over time may result in toxicity symptoms and may adversely effect the kidneys. Chronic glycol ether inhalation has resulted in tremor, lethargy, headache, blurred vision, personality changes and coma.

YIKES!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 12:14:31 PM »
Yeah Wedge thats right, but I think thatīs nearly the same that is applicable for normal paint-thinner, Acetone and most other organic solvents.....

I donīt wnat to say itīs harmless or you should use the solutions wide and open, but if you work with paint you have to know thereīs a risk to it.

and even for the pine oil with surfactants which should be the main ingredients of PineSol(R) go the same commedations for safety
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »
Pine sol or simple green is the best "nature friendly" option.  Brake-fluid, while effective is dangerous if you use it too much or aren't careful with it:

Here is the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on regular every-day brake fluid:

Acute Health Effects: From MSDS
Eye Contact: May cause severe irritation, temporary changes in the corneal epithelium, and diminished sensation.
Skin Contact: May cause irritation. Brake fluid may be slowly absorbed through the skin. Excessive exposure for extended periods of time involving large areas of skin would be necessary for absorption of harmful amounts.
Ingestion: Kidney damage and hepatotoxicity may occur if substantial amounts are ingested.
Inhalation: Inhalation is not expected due to the relatively low volatility of this product. Inhalation of fumes or mists caused by heating or agitating may cause respiratory irritation and have a systemic effect.

Chronic Health Effects: MSDS:
Repeated inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption of small amounts over time may result in toxicity symptoms and may adversely effect the kidneys. Chronic glycol ether inhalation has resulted in tremor, lethargy, headache, blurred vision, personality changes and coma.

YIKES!

I get the same warnings from my breakfast cerial.