Author Topic: Agonizing Defeat.  (Read 10959 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Agonizing Defeat.
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »
 :-[  Man, a disastrous Sunday game for my new army to hit the board: The Horned Ones Dwarves.  As a Dwarf player, I was pretty sure I could run these guys, and maybe crush Dalton's Blackbloods in a game where he hadn't faced this clan before.

I was never more wrong!

I had recently assembled and primed two Horned Ones Totems, so I thought, "throw'em on the board!"  I had my Warshields, my Axe-Horns, Keeper, Totem, and Mounted Raider, and my other squad was the Order of Vengeance.  Sadly, vengeance was not to be had.

First turn, I moved my Totem forward thinking to utilize some cover from the inevitable two squads of Orc Assault Warriors with the standard of vitality that I always face.  Sadly, the cover I had from one squad was no cover from the second squad.  Needless to say, five 1's were thrown in the first volley taking the Totem out in one turn.  No armor saves, no trample, no making those goblins take fear checks, nothin'.

After that, we started counting how many 1's Dalton threw that game, and it was near twenty of'em.  Needless to say, the battle was over pretty quickly. 

The one thing this battle truly inspired in me was to get the models painted!!  Archer won't field a model unless it's painted, and I see why.  The longstanding superstition that models fight better when they're painted is actually grounded in reality.  When you're as old as I am, and your eyes ain't what they used to be, a black primed model looks like a blob to you, and a very easy target for your opponent!! 

Needless to say, my Totem is on the workbench, and photos will be forthcoming. 

I hope you guys are faring better than I am.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Agonizing Defeat.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
Tragic to see naked metal (or resin) go down so hard!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
Josh

You and daulton seem to have lots of super 1 and 20s when you play. Maybe you better change dice!
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »
I wanted to take a sledgehammer to that blue die of his!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »

The one thing this battle truly inspired in me was to get the models painted!!  Archer won't field a model unless it's painted, and I see why.  The longstanding superstition that models fight better when they're painted is actually grounded in reality.  When you're as old as I am, and your eyes ain't what they used to be, a black primed model looks like a blob to you, and a very easy target for your opponent!! 

Needless to say, my Totem is on the workbench, and photos will be forthcoming. 

I see... So I'm a superstitious git.  So what?  I can't argue with results... :)  By the way, Gun Moll feels you pain on the 1's.

Get that army painted then fight him again.  You'll do better.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
Long after I got out of High School and would need to do one, I came up with the idea to do a science project to see if some people are luckier than others.  The people would roll dice (and be rewarded for certain scores so that the roll actually mattered).  The laws of probablity say that any one roll will not affect the next and yet you see people consitantly roll certain results.  Makes you wonder.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:27:03 AM »
I will never doubt Archer again.  Painting has commenced.  I hope to have some pics from the workbench, and my Warzone model (first, ever!) in time for March.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
I will never doubt Archer again.  Painting has commenced.  I hope to have some pics from the workbench, and my Warzone model (first, ever!) in time for March.

Good man.  Bbecause you cared enough to paint them and show them attention, you will find that they will do better for you, even in losing battles...  The minis, they know these things and will respond accordingly.  I swear!
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »
Well the Firstborn I had painted by Brand X had a victory their first time out last night, in a nail biting finish.  They are a very different army to play than my Dwarves. 

Wedge

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
I would check Dalton's dice.  I bet they were D10s.  ;D  :P

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »
Canonball will be glad to hear about a Ristborn victory, as they so seldom happen for him. ::) ;D
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »
Actually Wedge, it was your twin, Bryon, I was playing.