Author Topic: Reserve Units  (Read 6764 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Reserve Units
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:35:52 AM »
Is there a rule for holding off reserve units and bringing on late deployed (reserve) units?    Did I miss it somewhere?

D

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Reserve Units
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 04:18:11 AM »
only in form of scenarios or paradeploy
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
Hmm - seems like something worth looking at...to me.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »
INteresting idea - perhaps a 10% reduction in cos for holding them off until turn 3, or so.  Tell me more of this "Reserve Unit" skill/ability.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 11:12:16 AM »
In another game I play you roll to see how many units are on the board initially for the defender and the attacker, then the rest are on route.

The each turn you roll for each squad you want to bring on and for each squad member roll a dice ie 12 members roll 12 D6 and for each 6 you roll you have that member in the 'ready' area.

You can then decide whether to bring on that unit at less than full strength or not the next turn you still roll the full unit strength (ie 12 as above) and add anymore members to the squad members already present (so after two turns yo might be up to 7).  Any members not brought on when the unit is deployed are class as MIA due to aircraft, mines & other ambushes before they arrived in this sector.  Then finally when your ready to bring them on put the leader of the squad where you would like them to come on and then roll the deviation dice to see if the arrive were planned or left or right along the deployment zone then place the rest of the squad within the command distance as normal.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
We had a scenario like that as well - It was based on 2 patrols accidentally bumping into each other and a firefight breaking out.  Each called for back up. 

Each round we'd roll a D20 on X or more another squad would show up (you could use LD tests I suppose).

It was exciting and interesting esp. w/ paradeploying troops.  We let troops with infiltrate gain a bonus move when entering the board.

@ Reserve rule - I don't see why you'd penalize for holding off units - it's a strategic choice.  Hold off too many and you might can overrun. 

So your have to commit troops as part of your battle plan, I might do something like this--

1) List your reserve units
2) Next to each one list what turn you want to commit them to enter the table.
3) On their turn -- Roll a LD test vs. leader LD to enter

Units with para-deploy would not be considered reserve (and exempt from the above0 since their ability lets them deploy late anyway.

Step 2 is crucial since it decides WHEN your next group shows up. 

If you want more flexibility you can skip step 2, but I think it add strategic depth.

D

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
@ Reserve rule - I don't see why you'd penalize for holding off units - it's a strategic choice.  Hold off too many and you might can overrun.

if you refer to this post:

- perhaps a 10% reduction in cost for holding them off until turn 3, or so. 

i think dmcgee1 want a bonus, not a penalty.

if you refer to another post, i agree, the later the troops arive the more danger.

i could only see a use in holding them back in they can enter from another side of the board, not onyl the deploymentZ!
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
Oops - yer right - misread it.  Sorry, D.

Either way - I don't think there should be a pen or bon.

D

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
Oops - yer right - misread it.  Sorry, D.

Either way - I don't think there should be a pen or boon.

D

I agree.

Especially if you think that you have a solid feel for the foe, you can manuver him into getting into a trap of your design when the reserve troops show up.  Ideally, thats' what Guerilla is supposed to do though it only works about 50% of the time for me.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y