Author Topic: Unreleased rules--  (Read 19191 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Unreleased rules--
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 02:05:04 PM »
I hope there are not trying to overpower the new units.

I know this from many games and from the 1st edition.

New units are often more powerful as the old ones,
and therefore the old units vanishes in the forces.

For Capitol I would like to see some units for close quarter fight,
esp. Grunt Troopers.

I would like to address this concern, Enker.

I feel the same as you do, on this.  I know that one of the main things about the rubric is that all models are balanced against it, then playtested.  There is no plan of which I am aware to make old models obsolete.  In fact, this would go against the very purpose of any new rules, as new models are a long way off.

I do appreciate the concern, as I have witnessed many games do this, in the past.  I know from discussions with Thom that he is dead set against the power spiral that comes from throwing the rubric out the window in favor of selling new models.

I hope this helps.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:27 PM »
It's also the main reason Thom is not inclined to release a build your own troops game, because balance is usually lost with people trying to min/max what they can rather than build a balanced game.

If you like what Thom has done with his engine for Warzone and for Chronopia, then you should expect more of the same balance from his new endeavor.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »
Wow, haven't been back here in a while.  I'm ecstatic that the new rules may be released soon.  My buddy and I are having a game of UWZ next week now that I finally completed my Romanov force with the Viktors I had been wanting since Excelsior was still in business.

Here's hoping we see the return of Bauhaus Orders so I can use all those spare Wolfheads I have as the Order of the Wolf. :D

I personally don't mind not getting a unit creator for the reasons stated above, even the best system can be abused by min-maxing by those so inclined so it takes a fairly unbiased creator not to let that work its way in.  I love the way all the units in the main book are handled and I expect nothing less from those that are coming in the future.

By the way which supplements are getting done?  There were three or so planned if I remember correctly before they lost the liscence are we getting all three or just the one that was closest to completion at the time.  Either way I'm psyched by the possibility of new material for Warzone.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
Well I can tell you he's busy writing code, and working on this stuff.  I nag him constantly, but sometimes I'd like to beat him over the head with a club!!

I'm glad he is doing something as he could have walked away from the games and told the world to fug off.   A lot of people have made the effort to keep the games alive, run events, and give him moral support, so if you're here, you're one of'em.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
Just thought I'd quietly check in on any news on this stuff (vehicle rules and world pdfs) - maybe avail for Xmas???  :)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »
Work is progressing, nicely.  Assignments and deadlines have been issued, and writing has commenced.  There is not much more to report, yet.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 12:30:09 AM »
Hurray!  Keep up the good work all.  ;D

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
Ho-ho-ho? Will Santa be visiting my online stocking?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
Santa's elf-like sweatshop flunkies seemed to have overlooked us, this year.   However, I am anticipating some news before winter is out.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
Santa's elf-like sweatshop flunkies seemed to have overlooked us, this year.   However, I am anticipating some news before winter is out.

Indeed.  Santa's elves seemed to have misplaced his bag of Warzone goodies.  If he has not found them by this weekend, I will be going by to help him out finding them.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »
Dang NPFTA! (North Pole Free Trade Agreement)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »

Actuslly the problem has to do with another border dispute between Heat Miser and his brother Snow Miser/ The DMZ is flooded due to all the snow meeting all the heat  ;)  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »

Actuslly the problem has to do with another border dispute between Heat Miser and his brother Snow Miser/ The DMZ is flooded due to all the snow meeting all the heat  ;)  ;D

makes for a nice natural pool :P

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

That is why as an Aqua-Scout in good standing I never leave the Sanctum without my water-wings and flippers
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »

That is why as an Aqua-Scout in good standing I never leave the Sanctum without my water-wings and flippers

LMAO I can almost picture that :P