Author Topic: Assault Marines are Nasty!  (Read 14413 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Assault Marines are Nasty!
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »
I have to admit, in all my warzoning no one I had played never against an opponent with a squad of Assault Marines (perhaps because the figs were hard to find).

Last night a friend used a squad of AM's from my stash and, Yowza!, They were bad-ase. 

Those M74's with LR, even with a penalty of -3, an RC of 11, meant they hit on 8 or less.  Add the HMG and sit tight using last actions as WAITs (as my opponent did) - it was brutal (also my opponent was rolling like a son-of-a-blight commando).  I was getting picked off as I was dodging between scenery bits (like my squad of innocent young mirror men cut down in their prime...and all just because they wanted to show their lovely new Capitol friends ther shiny heatswords up close.)

The only thing that let me break through the fireline was a very well (aka lucky) rolled para-deploy of Shock Marines who got in close enough to toss a screen of smoked grenades.  Still, before all was said and done, the AM's had done more than their share of mayhem.

D

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Assault Marines are Nasty!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
oh i would love to have a game with that kind of stuff happening & working

the BB of my friend mostly manage to pull of maybe 8 shots and perhaps a good hmg  :o but rarely enough

i would expect the shocktroopers die fast, even though the -3 screen..

anyway, the AM (all RC11 Elites) are good. the deadshot makes them brutal CC monsters also.. (esp. the hmg..)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »
Indeed.  Assault Marines are mean!!

I've used Para Shocktroopers before.  They tend to do well as a distraction and sometimes kill their weight in points.  Normally, they tie up twice whaty they cost long enough for me to pick off a chunk or get Machinators to a position to cut a couple of units up.

All in the use...  all in the use.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:54:56 PM »
Yes - the use and timing is essential. 

It's great when your opponent's morale is thrown because you've suddenly knocked out a chunk of their firing line

I've read some of the critiques of the SM's (their relatively crappy guns) but between the Smokers, the x2ROF is if you can get in close and spray, and the Flamer or Chemsprayer they can do some damage - and even better they can cause your foe to panic and start making errors.

But I've always been one to try risque maneuvers or exoitc troops - it gives me an element of surprise over the guys who just go with the heavy guns.  I like a more flexible force that, if I am pinned down, can turn the tides, or at least shift the balance enough to let me regroup.

Still...I think next time I face those AM's I'm going to want something that infiltrates and fast.

Offline Enker

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
I love my AM's ,too.
But I think you overrate them.
As you have mentioned your opponent rolls the dice very lucky.
And that's the point.
I have seen a Squad Arch Primates erased from two Hvy Inf or a Nepharite killed by a Handgun (ok he already hab some wounds).

The AMs are a very solid and usefull unit,
but there are much units who are really nasty, I would even say cheesy close before broken.

Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:11:34 AM »
I would agree to Enker.

The AssMarines are a good squad to use. Hard hittinī and they can pull their share. Yes they can be badass....

But there are a lot of comparable units in the other Corps, that are similar.

The Venusian Rangers are basically the same with a loss of one point in the armour.

The Blood Berets are similar, with a AR slightly less damage and less Armour, but they are paras.

The Golden Lions again similar, but infiltrating.

So I think itīs not hte ONE unit, its the moment and the way itīs used in.
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:34:15 AM »
well, itīs the RC 11..

the rest is extras, like Dam11 am, or camo with the BB..
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
well, itīs the RC 11..

the rest is extras, like Dam11 am, or camo with the BB..

Yep.  Good bits... and alot of success in the use of various units is in their deployment and planned usage.  AM's are hard line breakers and Alabama Ticks on the Defense (in cover)

BB's are good for flanking Drops on large boards or normal deployment to be a difficult speedbump to deal with... and I have seen them used that was.  I use my Rangers for both missions, depending on the foe.

You would be surprised how many people leave flanks open.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
I hear ya Archer - and often I can count on it.  ;)

D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
I have to admit, in all my warzoning no one I had played never against an opponent with a squad of Assault Marines (perhaps because the figs were hard to find).

Last night a friend used a squad of AM's from my stash and, Yowza!, They were bad-ase. 

Those M74's with LR, even with a penalty of -3, an RC of 11, meant they hit on 8 or less.  Add the HMG and sit tight using last actions as WAITs (as my opponent did) - it was brutal (also my opponent was rolling like a son-of-a-blight commando).  I was getting picked off as I was dodging between scenery bits (like my squad of innocent young mirror men cut down in their prime...and all just because they wanted to show their lovely new Capitol friends ther shiny heatswords up close.)

The only thing that let me break through the fireline was a very well (aka lucky) rolled para-deploy of Shock Marines who got in close enough to toss a screen of smoked grenades.  Still, before all was said and done, the AM's had done more than their share of mayhem.

D

Sounds eerily like my first tournament game againt Dragon62 - he tore me a new one!  ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Was he the AM's or Cybertronic?

D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:59 AM »
The AM's
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »
Capital success in a fight is directly related to how many squads of Assault Marines are in the army.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »
There's a joke abut hind quarters in there, somewhere.  Something about Ass. Marines and proportianl strength - it's there, I can almost smell it.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
There's a joke abut hind quarters in there, somewhere.  Something about Ass. Marines and proportianl strength - it's there, I can almost smell it.

If you can almost smell it then you are a bit too close to the action, Dave  :o
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890