Author Topic: VeezCon(TM) Painting Contest  (Read 17264 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
VeezCon(TM) Painting Contest
« on: January 10, 2008, 01:09:57 AM »
VeezCon(TM) internal Memo

Gentlemen, as you know the long lull would appear to have ended and things are livelier than ever.  To celebrate I have decided to initiate a painting contest in order to celebrate.  The following mission order spells out the details. 

Maj Anderson

Situation:
Recent increases in activity have signaled a potential turnaround in the Solar System’s economy.  A miniature contest will help further promote this turnaround and potentially lead to an expansion.

Mission
On order, initiate a painting contest for all interested parties in order to display their work and inspire others to do the same. 

Commander’s Intent
I want the contestants to PM our agent, Veez, with their interest then post their entries showing regular progress.
Final Result Desired
A hell of a show for everyone involved.

Execution
1) Starting immediately interested parties are to contact VeezCon(TM) via Private Message to “Veez” to announce your contestantship. 
2) There are three categories:
Individual/Support (any individual, character, or support model-conversions may be used but no proxies)
Squad (may include conversions and proxies for no more than one model, may also include a squad appropriate individual-i.e. Heavy Infantry Captain to go with a HI squad).
Proxy or Conversion (can be a squad, individual or support figure that there is currently not a Heartbreaker/Targert/Excelsior(!) Entertainment produced model supporting)
3) Entries will be posted under the title “VeezCon(TM) Painting Contest-[your name]/[Individual/Support or Squad or Proxy]/[Name or working title]
Ex “VeezCon(TM) Painting Contest-Veez-Proxy-Surveiler”
4) Entries must have been commenced since the beginning of the new year.  I will have to leave it up to the honor system, but your first post will be the raw figure or parts.
5) Hopefully frequently, but at a minimum every week submit a progress post, even if only to show no progress due to real life getting in the way.
6) Judging will Commence 2 March.  Final post needs to be in by 1 March. 
The final post should include the figure (in action if possible) and a small vignette.
7) Grading Criteria shall be the following:
Progress Reports (points deducted for not reporting) 5pts
Painting Quality 10pts (how pleasing is it to the eye)
Originality/Creativity/Execution 10pts (does not mean you have to invent a whole new paint scheme-just do it well)
Warzoniness 5pts (If you are using a GW Dark Angel to proxy a Dark Legion Techron you will be penalized.  Severly.)
Vignette 5pts (You may plagiarize an outside source [such as the rulebook] if you are not a writer-points are for relevance-just cite your sources)
8 ) In case of any ties, the two models will battle it out on a poll where the people will decide.  The poll will go for five days and the winner will be announce on the 6th day.  (on the 7th day God rested and will not be available for consultation).
9) Prizes.  Grand prize winner by points tally will get to decide the theme of the next contest.  Winner in each category prize to be determined-most likely my undying admiration or a leftover expended shell casing from a .50 cal round I have laying around somewhere.  Runners-up will get the satisfaction of putting their metal and mettle to the test with their peers.  Those who don’t participate will be allowed to question their man (or woman)-hood for those who paint (or judge Topkick) with me are my brothers (or sisters-as the case may be).  If you do not have a digital camera or a means to post your work, your manhood (or womanhood) will not be called into question.
10) There is no 10th rule.
11) The judgment is final, pending the results of a poll.  Involving threats, litigators, the Art (or Dark Symmetry) or bribes will gain you nothing ( but feel free to send bribes anyway).
12) Let the games…begin!

Administration and Logistics
We recommend a server such as photobucket, but will not be able to observe your progress for the first month or so due to VeezCon(TM)’s current location.  Current Judges are Veez and Topkick.  A third judge is requested but not required due to the Poll-off for any ties.  See legal work at the end of the post for further details involving litigation and disclaimer.

Command and Signal
The Warzone Painting & Terrain board will be the location of all subsequent posts.

VeezCon(TM) is not responsible for any injuries gained while painting or modeling or eye injury due to looking at the pretty figures.  VeezCon(TM) is an equal-opportunity contest starter and does not show prejudice due to race, creed, ethinic origins, corporate affiliation, species, or dimension of origin.  Any prizes will be mailed when VeezCon(TM) gets around to doing it so quit your whining.  VeezCon(TM) says drink responsibly.  VeezCon(TM) is not responsible for the Bauhaus judge being harsher than everyone else.  Chronopia players; you contest will come soon enough- VeezCon(TM) merely wishes to start small and proceed from there.

VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: VeezCon(TM) Painting Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »
Very good idea. This topic has been stickified.

Offline fflamingmoe

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:19:14 AM »
Good to hear the full rules are up and running and good luck to all.
You earthlings will be mine hahahahaha

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:56:54 AM »
Thank you both kindly!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline fflamingmoe

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »
(Veez )I sent you a email because i couldn't PM you .I don't know why the PMs keep bouncing back to me.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
So when is the Chronopia version?

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
 Yep when will the Chronopia one start?I have loads of Warzone too but like Chronopia more  :o.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: VeezCon(TM) Painting Contest (updated 1/11)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
1) fflamingmoe-I've got your PM and you are entered.
    Coil, Joshuaslater, and Dmcgee1, and Seamus are also entered
2) There is now no #2
3) Entries end next Thursday, the 17th of Feb
4) Chronopia will get it's chance when we find out how this one works-I believe this was addressed in the fine print.  You'll be hearing from my Litigators. 
In all seriousness, I want to try this one then work out the kinks since I suspect the Chronopia one will be even bigger.  If it makes you all feel better-the start date for Chronopia entries can begin now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:17:31 AM by Veez »

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
 Cheers Veez.
 Just need to decide what to paint now and get some pictures taken.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »
Kings to Veez for this swift kick in the proverbial ass to get painting!!  Huzzah!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline fflamingmoe

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
HAHAHAHA Sweeeeetness Yahooooooo .Good luck guys on your painting hope they look sweet.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »
No... he means there is no rule #2

It's a joke, moe.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
Any issues with me submitting one model from a unit?  He'll be made into a hero.

I have a bunch of the plastics, and may be willing to paint one, but otherwise, I really don't have a ton of freetime.

Also, does it matter too much if it is modded to look like something that is not Warzone?
I bought the cheapies as they reminded me of something totally different.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »
Go for it.  Put it in the Individual/Support category.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
 Well just been opening some blister pack 78 in total.So I just need to decide what to pick for the competition.