Author Topic: stygian priestess  (Read 4094 times)

Offline troy-the-just

stygian priestess
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »
question about the stygian priestess' "free attack" with her snakes.  does she get the first free attack on each and every model that attacks her i.e.   my warband of 6 models attack the priestess for each one that attacks her the snakes get the first shot?  or is it per cc, she gets a free shot on the first model of the warband that attacks her.

the way it is written could be clearer, we played it that she got a free attack per model, but that is pretty extreme.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Re: stygian priestess
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »
Yes, there was some debate about this.  Canonball thought yes because of her point cost, but with IMHO about the best overall magic in the game, decent CC, 4 actions, and all her other stuff, it jsut seems a bit much.  I can read this either way, although the way the phrase "Whenever the Stygian Priestess enters CC, whether charging or being charged, she gets a free attack with the snakes writhing about on her shoulders.", seems to me to being the 1st CC action, not every model in a warband that attacks. 

I acan see this going either way, just think that getting a fre first attack against any model that enters combat with her is a bit much.  We ended up rolling d20 for this and canonball won, so we played it that she got 1 free attack whenever any model attacked her teh 1st action in CC.  Priestess killed 2 Warhawks before they got her. 
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: stygian priestess
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
We play it's a free attack just like it reads.  I know this seems powerful, and is, but the CC and Damage (even residual) aren't so over the top to make her invincible.  I've seen the priestess killed enough times to know that. 

I'm not the Stygian player (yet), as I've only started assembling my horde, so I'll run it by Thom next time I talk to him and see if that was intentional (the ruling), or needs clarification.  He wrote the book, and also plays Stygian.  3000 points he's got layin' around.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA