Author Topic: Stratagic advantages for a campaign system  (Read 4407 times)

Offline brynolf

Stratagic advantages for a campaign system
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »
I'm building a simple campaign system, using a hexagon map. Basically, each sector have two fixed scenarios, and you have to win both to conquer the sector fully. I'm playing with the thought of introducing "Strategic advantages" to make the campaign more interesting. Before each battle, the players roll a dice and add some modifiers such as the number of adjacent sectors they own, stretegy points spent etc. The winner get to choose a number (probably between one and five, depending on the score) of "Advantages" for the battle. I have come up with some advantages, but I would like you guys to voice your opinions on whether they are balanced or not. That is, is some way too good or way too bad? Will some of them never be chosen? Stuff like that.

•   Your deployment zone extends 1”, while the enemy’s deployment zone shrinks by 1”.
•   You get 5% extra points that can be spent on troops.
•   You get 5% extra points that can be spent on fortifications.
•   You automatically win the initiative roll for the first turn of the battle.
•   One of your units may use the rules for hidden deployment (you know, the unit card stuff. Normally this rule is not used).
•   The enemy must choose one of his units to deploy before the ordinary deployment commences. In other words, you get a better view of how his army is deploying before you start your own deployment.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Stratagic advantages for a campaign system
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »
Choice of battlefield conditions is always good:

example:
1.Day or Night time fighting
2. level of enviroment (warzone has great enviroment rules shame not to use them)
3. pick on type of scenario
4. pick on points...if most battles are 1000pts this can be advantage if it makes everyone fights 750 for the battle, this could throw some armies for a loop.
5. choose which table side to fight on.
6. disallow certain game traits example: for this battle no para-deploy

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline brynolf

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:13:14 AM »
Those are great suggestions! I might add some of those later on.

But I'm still concerned about the balance issue... which alternatives would you choose above others?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
Those are great suggestions! I might add some of those later on.

But I'm still concerned about the balance issue... which alternatives would you choose above others?

1 to 5 equally as nothing there can break a game. out of that #2 is the best as there are a ton of neat rules for that in the rule book.
#6 is good too but be a little careful in taking away any armies skills...after your group gets a feel for scenarios battles and making scenarios then #6 should be fine too....I work this with some unspoken guide lines EX: in a underground cave battle I took away para-deploy for the fight...it was stated early the next scenario had limitations so everyone knew what kinda list they should make....if they made a list with a lot of paradeploy it was on them to adapt.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful