Author Topic: Rise of the Serpentmen!  (Read 9149 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Rise of the Serpentmen!
« on: January 03, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
     Greetings fello Chronophiles!  Dec. 29th saw the 4-State Militia's last battle for 2007.  This was to be a whopper of a battle.  First off, Canonball designed a sweet looking Stygian pyramid to go along with the army I sold him.  Also, this game was special in that all of us were playing brand new armies!  Although there ended up being a few hitches, it was great fun.  So here goes!

Rise of the Serpentmen

This is to be a 2 part battle.  The first takes place in fornt of the Stygian pyramid, and then was to move inside for the final show down. 

Motives:  A new Stygian pyramid has just risen on the edge of lands belonging to Tribe of the Dawn and the Blackblood Empire.  Not wanting to wait for the Stygians to get into full swing a joint venture for the destruction of this mutual threat ensues.

# of Players:  3 Players.  Canonball (Stygian Horde), Troy-the-just (Tibe of Dawn), and your truly, DogOWar (Blackbloods).

Points:  Both Sok and Blackbloods start with 1000 points to last the game.  Stygian gets 1200 points to deploy outside pyramid, and a further 600 to use inside.

Victory Conditions:  The Sok and BB forces must destroy the Stygian outside the pyramid then move to the inside to finsh them off.  Stygians foght to the death!!

Set-up:  The pyramid is placed on one end of warboard, the Sok & BB on the other.  Stygian player has control of placement of terrain.  The Stygian on the outside of the pyramid may not enter pyramid and must fight to the end!  Stygian on inside of pyramid may not leave pyramid and must fight to the end!

Deployment:  Stygian start with models seen.  Sok & BB alliance start with cards, but as soon as unit is activated modesl are placed on warboard.

Forces O War-
Stygian- 3 warbands of mixed Stygian Warriors, 1 Guardian, I Tenebrous Crawler, 1 Priestess (Quicksand, greater Desert wyrm, sandstorm).

Tribe O Dawn-  3 3-man Tribal Warbands, 2 3-man Hearthguard warbands, 1 flight Warhawks, 1 Wyrd (spear O llyr), 2 Repulsar Marksman, 1 Repulsar Knight, 1 Hunter.

Blackbloods-  1 Alchemist ( Ali Khazam), 1Troll Deathseeker, 1 Net fling'n Troll, 3 Ogre Elite, 5 Orc Assault, 6 Orc Swardsmen, 8 Goblin Swordmasters.

.................and so it begins!!!

Pre-battle pic

Turn 1-  Sok & BB win Initative.  TW and HG move toward trees and arch.  Warhawks(WH) take flight and head for wall in a mad dash toward Priestess.  A Repulsar Marksman(RM) lines up a shot and wounds the Guardian by the arch. Wyrd moves up to get good LOS thru arch, chomp'n at the bit to bust out a spear O llyr.   On the BB side of the warboard, I send the bait.....er, I mean the Goblin Swordmasters(GS) toward the arch to draw Priestess out.  GS get Quicksanded and 2 get stuck, but get saved.  Orc Assaault move to cover arch and go on wait.  Orc Swordsmen(OS) move forward and go on wait.  Ogre Elite Guard(OEG), Troll(T), and Deathseeker Troll(DST), and Alchemist(A) move toward woods and out of line of sight of Priestess. the Stygians begin by having the Tenebrous Crawler(TC), which is proxied by a organd caterpillar thingy, tunnels thru arch waitng on prey to tample.  Stygian Warbands(SW) shuffle around and wait. 

End Turn 1 Pic

Turn 2-  SoK and BB win initiative.  Warhawks swoop in and tear Priestess apart, but snakes kill 1 or 2 WH.  SW move in and finish off WH.  GS move toward the arch waiting on death.  TC tunnels up and tramples TW, then tunnels back down.  Most of the rest of turn 2 was jockeying for position, with SoK making it to edge of woods and wall.  BB's continue to skirt area where TC is prowling and head toward woods.  OA are jsut praying for a target.

End of Turn 2 Pic

Turn 3-  Stygians win Initiative.  The TC attempts to come up and trample GS, but deviates and crushes another TW instead.  The Guardian(G) moves to other side of arch and goes on wait.  On the SoK side the TW and HG engage SW and kill 5. RM shoots 2 stygian.  More TW move thru woods and arch, followed by Repulsar Knight.  The Forces of the Bloodthrone begin the great push to the arch.  GS move over TC to force it to move out of way of arch.  OA move forward and wait, everybody else keeps heading for trees, except for DST which moves into cover of the arch.

End of Turn 3 Pic

Turn 4-  The action really starts to heat up!!  The G moves to attack DST which comes off wait and splits it from tead to tail with a mighty blow!  TW and Wyrd hurl spears to no effect.  Dst moves to secure pyramid entrance.  The TC comes up by GS and tramples 2, the rest of the GS hack into TC, actually inflicting 2 wounds! SW attacks TW and kill 2.  OA shoot thru arch at SW which incredably make all saves.....drat.  OS move toward arch and the rest of the BB make it thru woods.   

End of Turn 4 Pic

Turn 5-  SoK and BB win initiative.  The Wyrd opens the turn with Spear O Llyr, killing 2 SW.  TC tramples 2 OS.  OS(later in turn) move to arch.  RM shoots a couple of SW, OEG and T move out of woods toward rear of SW.  OA aim and put 2 wounds on TC .  GSM attack SW to no avail and  SW kill 2 gobos.  RM puts another arrow into TC and it dies.  The Fat lady begins to sing for the Stygian Horde. 

End of Turn 5 Pic

Turn 6-  Stygian win initiative.  Sw moves to the attcack, killing 2 GS and a OS.  GS break, fleeing thru arch.  OS attack kill 1 SW.  The Wyrd unleashs the spear o llyr killing 3 SW and RM shoots 2 more.  OA shoot 3 more SW and at this point Canonball concedes.

Afterthoughts  We never played the next battle as the Sok and BB alliance still had 1600 points on board and Canonball didn't think he stood a chance, thereby conceding the rest of the match, even though we tried to give him more points to continue.  We set around awhile discussing various things about our armies when I saw that Canonball had actually used the poiont costs in the book as opposed to the ones I sent over to him that I got off the FAQ.  He effectively cheated himself out of a couple hundred points!  I believe this would have changed things quite alot, and was very frustrated by this turn of events. 
     All in all Troy's and my strategy worked well.  Its hard to husband units back and still fight well.  I took the Alchemist with mending our more expensive models for the show down in the pyramid, and consequently he did nothing at all, what a waste.  I wish we could have turned back the clock and had a muligan.

We ended up playing a deathmatch game afterwards that was the best we have ever had.  A very even fight, and nail bitingright up to the end.  When the dust setled all that was left standing was my OEG with 1 wound left!  All in all a very good game day for myself.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:06:07 PM by DogOWar »
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Rise of the Serpentmen!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
A little cross tinkering and weapons adjustment brings about the Rise of the Serpentmen in Warzone.  :o

It must be all the cold weather affecting my brain but I just locked onto using the Koralons from Urban Mammoth and having the Stygian show up on Dark Eden. Somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »
let me take a moment to explain my troop choice. 

1)  I was terrified of the ophidian, thus the marksmen and the warhawks (I thought they could at least give him some trouble until the marksmen could take a shot)

2)  Cannonball is master of terrain, everything in that pic is his, i was expecting a deathtrap outside and in, and hoped to use missle weapons to eliminate as much of the snakes as possible

3)  i viewed this of more of a special forces type mission, thus the firstborn and thus the small warbands that could run and hide

4)  spear of llyr, well hell, it kills things with weak armour

so the purpose, kill stygian before they got to me, I was terrified of the priestess and her spells, kill her ASAP, her and the ophidian were the first priority, we were counting points.  dog and I fiugred if we went into pyramid with 1000 it was a close call, any less and we were in trouble, any more and we had the advantage. 

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
Kings to all of you for a BRILLIANT battle report with pics.  We're going to have to post some back at ya.  Great looking terrain, good description of the game, and a great time had by all.  Thanks for putting this up for us.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
i am not sure the picture does the pyramid justice, it was professional quality all the way, cannonball does  some great terrain, I cant say enough good things about it, i really appreciate all of his extra work

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
 Nice pictures and a great battle report.I wish I had some people around here to play some games with.Might have to find a club and see if anyone would be interested in it.
 The Pyramid is huge.I have a smaller one planned to do some time (along with all the other stuff). ;D

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
Is there any project you DON'T have on your plate, Andy???/   ;D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »
 Well  ::).I have loads of ideas for new pieces on a regular basis.Just not the time to do them all.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
i am not sure the picture does the pyramid justice, it was professional quality all the way, cannonball does  some great terrain, I cant say enough good things about it, i really appreciate all of his extra work

I gotta agree with Troy on this one.  The pyramid was just awsome!  I htought Canonball did a great job on it. It really added some "feeling" to the game.  I was looking forward to seeing how we would do when we got to penetrating it.  As Canonball learns how to use his Stygians better, Troy and I are going to have a tough time handling them. 

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »
 Had you seen the Pyramid in the Chronicles magazine the one with the Skull Pillars?The pillars were done by Fantasy Forge.Scotia Grendel has the range now but they did not have the skull pillar mold.So I asked if I sent one of mine to them if they could use it.The good news is they now have it and hopefully will have some for sale soon.They will also be releasing some Leviathan miniatures too.I have some of them from years ago that were samples and the Elf one is very nice and would make a nice addition to my Chronopia force once I decide how to paint them.
 Any more battle reports with more of your terrain coming soon?

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »
Yes I have seen the pyramid you mentioned and it is cool.  We are looking at Feb. being the next time we play.  We have not got around to dates yet, and I am waiting to see what Canonbal cooks up for the terrain.