Author Topic: Characters  (Read 9242 times)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Characters
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »
This thread for people who like to talk about their favoriate characters or the ones they fear the most.

For me my Fav is Valpurgis.....Holy moley never in any game I played have I had a charatcer kick as much butt as old Val.
Many now fear him (like Jibba, Iron Panda, doger, Archer....dave? :P).
He's old, hardly moves, has no range weapons and is only good enough with sword that he doesnt stab him himself by mistake but man O' man can he sling spells ;D

In Number of games do to sheer luck of placement. Old' Val was a right place and the right time to turn a losing battle to a win (of course a few "1's" for spells  helped  ;) )

So what are your favoriates ?
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: Characters
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »
Id have to say that my fav Char is Cybers Operations Overseer.
 As many of us know all too well initiative has won < or lost >  many battles and with an effective LD of 17 he helps me win alot of rolls. Hes pretty much useless after that but he can help turn the tide of  a fight with that Auto mortar loaded with VX, white phospor or smoke. I mean an ATS 10 attack from range on a squad with no protection can ruin your day so can smoke covering the advance of a squad of machinators ;D Hes also a decent rear guard to help protect againt para deploying units a little later in the game by taking up space and being able to pop smoke so they cant shoot him or he can bring them down with his ATS attacks. He may not be the best or the most dangerous but he sure can be usefull  ;)
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Karak is a real monster. It feels like he always kills off half of my army just by himself.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Call me crazy, call me nutsy, but I've fallen hard for righteous Nicodemus - something about me and him just meet on the gaming table and when I roll for his hits it's like he can't miss.   

Last battle he singlehandedly took out a Maculator, Sinstress Salandria and then went on to mob up a templar unit. 

The one before that he stood firm against a unit of Carnal Harvesters (making five (count em, 5!) impossible armor saves in a row, and then rallied a unit of Sentinels to drive back a horde of Sacrtistans. 

Maybe it's sheer luck, maybe it's just that magical brotherhood mojo--

Whatever it is, for now he's the terror of my table and at the top of the UWZ pops for me.

D

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I had a buddy who always kicked some serious butt with Big Bob Watts, but that was first edition and he has been toned down somewhat since then.  Don't currently have a fav, but don't get to play often enough for one.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »
For my money, gimme the deadly combo of Vahl'Dredd, his lackey and a Nepharite of Ilian.  Talk about slinging spells and lead!  The last game that I plyed, it was Vahl and the Nepharite making their stand against the Machinators.  Anytime those toasters wanna come try their luck again, John, bring 'em!  Perhaps, next time, the rolls for my spells will be under 17.  ;)  Put Karak in the mix, and watch the bad guys go, "Pop!"

When i coms to my favorite house - Bauhaus - Max and von Juntz are the shiznit!  Guns and armor to spare, these two can kick a fair amount of butt, and talk about it afterwards!

As for Valpurgius, I don't sweat him, Masher - bring him by anytime you wanna see him die!  ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »
As for Valpurgius, I don't sweat him, Masher - bring him by anytime you wanna see him die!  ;D

Oh your so lucky i cant team up Val and Cartel agents in a Lord H's transport.....man that would be your ultimate nightmare :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:17:16 AM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »
I don't know what's more dangerous...Val...or Lord H's buttcrack.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
For my money, gimme the deadly combo of Vahl'Dredd, his lackey and a Nepharite of Ilian.

Talk about slinging spells and lead!

The last game that I plyed, it was Vahl and the Nepharite making their stand against the Machinators.  Anytime those toasters wanna come try their luck again, John, bring 'em!

could you explain this further?

of course vahl has a good gun and can take 1 illian spell.
but the nepharite can only take spells (ok, got sword & pistol..)

i donīt think (but i want to have it explained) how this combo is esp. strong..

against mashinators as well.. quick, strong (-> binding them in CC), 2 W, good attack (group), HMG dude...  ???

cuīs

p.s. i like this 39 (36?) point woman from capitol.. cheap, good shot, strat ins. -> very much worth the points
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Lopis

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »
Maria del Torres.

But has no TacSense.

I like it if all my models can shoot what theay want if they like to.

And especially capitol has a huge set of models without TacSense (e.g. the AssMarines).

BTW: Thatīs a thing I canīt understand. Nearly no ForceCommander has TacSense. Many have StratInsight. Cool Guys, Heavy firepower, but canīt shoot at what they want.....
Take Big Bob as example. If i remember right, he has StratInsight but no TacSense for his firepower. So heīs a Mastermight for strategies and can order his troops to do anything to best effort, but canīt shoot himself... ???
OK, just a little bit of ranting here from my side.

BTW 2: Sgt.Carter is better I think. Pretty cheap and a good guy. If I remeber he plucked a demon hunter with his brass knuckles. Ask Enker about it, I think he can remember that one.

BtW 3: Capitol is a special case anyway. Never had a preoblem to include masses of Individuals in Capitol forces. Only in other forces I nearly never put many individuals in....
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
BtW 3: Capitol is a special case anyway. Never had a preoblem to include masses of Individuals in Capitol forces.

well, reduced to the max guys: ok RC, ok DAM, low A, low PC -> many.

the others are cluttered with abilities that i would not use and shoot instead, what brings me to:

TacSense

this is _imho_ not very useful..  you risk an action at ~60 % chance insted of just shooting something.

also, most dangerous multi-W threats need a lot of tac sense+lucky troops to kill -> i just kill the meatshild, since it needs to die anyway..

(yes, i know that there are certain situations where tacsense is super, but most of the time not--)

for the evil 1-2 W threats i use 2-3 snipers..

finally the command helmet makes tac sense redundant for AR-chars. the DAM 10 is not so impressive, i can better try to command my AssMarienes with this action insted of tacsense shooting..
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Lopis

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:07:36 PM »
Hmmm NoTrollNick:

You donīt lose an action.....you just roll if youīre able to shoot at another target than the nearest one.... I think it comes in handy nearly anytime to shift the line of fire....

And to the meat shield. If a meat shield is used properly you have to use Tac Sense to even shoot at the shield. OK thatīs for battles at a larger scale, starting with about 700 points.

So nothing is lost with a TacSense available... If i donīt need it I donīt use it, but nearly every game it was good to have.
BLasting Key troops is crucial sometimes...

And as to the AssaultRifles:

I think they are pretty good! OK, I play Bauhaus and itīs 11 then, but itīs their sheer mass thats good.
Take a normal Squad of 6 guys including the Sarge and a Heavy/Sniper. Besides the Heavy that are 15 Shots at DAM 10/11 if they hit....Thatīs a lot of chances for wounds to inflict!! And that at a normal MR !! The average MG or LMG ist that good at MR and neither on SR..... OK on PB they are the Hell but before that comes to be the AR is my choice of warfare ;-).

And to the command helmet:
That thing I think is not so good. You gain about 4-6 inches for giving an Order and using TacSense (what you could do anyway but have to be nearer for that). sio for the give Orders I think itīs not that good..... For TacSense the AssMarines itīs wonderful, so you neednīt to risk your guy in the fray. But there comes the problem again...Capitolians donīt have TacSense in general....
But the cost is what seems no good for me. If you only want to give orders You pay 10 points (as above 6 guys + CommandHelmet for the officer) for the Helmet and the receivers only to be able to use the GiveOrders for about 5 inches more reach (AND it includes a LD test -5 for these extra inches; what makes with an average LD of 14 a 9 as reading 45%. And thats exactly the point where I begin to buy AP-rockets instead.....

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
You donīt lose an action.....you just roll if youīre able to shoot at another target than the nearest one....
ok, i seem to have remembered it wrong ...

And to the meat shield. If a meat shield is used properly you have to use Tac Sense to even shoot at the shield. OK thatīs for battles at a larger scale, starting with about 700 points.
??? please give some details..

So nothing is lost with a TacSense available... If i donīt need it I donīt use it, but nearly every game it was good to have.
true, but some chars w/o TS have their own advantage

And as to the AssaultRifles: I think they are pretty good! (..)

my comment refered only to the 1 AR of the char and the 1 AR-action he looses to use his ComHelm.

the lots of grunts with AR are good

For TacSense the AssMarines itīs wonderful, so you neednīt to risk your guy in the fray. (..) But the cost is what seems no good for me.

i only used tac sense rarely, but i feel that a single char with 3*RC11,Dam10 may put a wound on the target but will most likely not destroy it, giving the enemy oportunity to react.

on the other hand, for the possiblility to activate a heavy squad i buy (somtimes) SCL+CH and think PC is OK

And thats exactly the point where I begin to buy AP-rockets instead.....
if i use RL i always try to buy them

Offline Lopis

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »
Ah OK if you think of this one guy with an AR you have that point clearly man...

As for the meat shield details: Pretty nasty thing I ran to :

Nasty guys NaganoWlakers with Sniper rifles in third line behind cover.

Second line an pair of Battle Walkers as meat shield. No Problem since they fire at LR without probs.

First line running to you a squad of Faceless.

Make a trinagle of this and you see what I mean.

Center of NaganoWalkers
then 6 inch to the left and 8 down the Battlewalkers
and 4 inch to the right and 14 down the Faceless.

All poosible after first activation and in your deployment zone.
Without TacSense you have to shoot first the Facveless then the Battlewalkers and then the Naganos while they all are firing over the heads of the others.... :o

Give the Faceless Hard cover or let them go MP and you have a pretty hard nut to chew.
Make two squads of faceless of it and itīs even a fully legal part of an army. Add Amaterasu to heal the Naganos....

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »
Ummm - wasn't this thread aboiut fayv characters?   ;D ;)