Author Topic: Making Infantry look closer to the ones in the MC movie.  (Read 12621 times)

Offline Gravel

Making Infantry look closer to the ones in the MC movie.
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the infantry in the Mutant Chronicles movie supposed to be World War Twoish?  Anyways, what would you think about converting some WZ infantry (Imperial and Capitol in particular) to look more like their movie counterparts?  It would not really be going against official fluff now would it?  Especially since the movie is an official liscense?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Making Infantry look closer to the ones in the MC movie.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
Brother if you feel the need to do homage to that "movie" have a day. It resembles the Warzone I know about as much as Paradox resembles a game company with integrity. It would actually go against the official fluff for UWZ as the movie is based off the 54mm FFG game but their your armies. Your biggest problem would be convincing me that your conversions resemble the armies as depicted in the "movie" as I won't have a frame of reference. I am currently planning on being busy the 4 and one half seconds that movie survives before being sent to video.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
Amen to that TK.

Offline Gravel

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 01:11:07 AM »
Wow, so everybody hates the movie here?  Just curious, what will you do if you actually end up liking the movie?  Will the universe end?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 01:12:56 AM by Gravel »

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »
 From what I have seen the weapons in the movie are steam powered,the actual film looks like it might be alright if not taken as an actual Warzone movie.Not too sure about the Blade arms that the evil side are sporting either.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »
I do not believe that Top was commenting on liking the movie, or not.  I believe that he was stating his feelings of brotherhood and empathy towards Paradox and their allowance of the "contextual changes" to allow for "artistic freedom."

I believe that Top was saying that if said movie were to appear in his visual range, that he would, indeed, watch, and provide valuable feedback in the form of an intellectual critique of the writers, directors, actors and key grips.

Upon completion of said critique, he would sign it in his own blood, send it to Paradox, and pray that they read it, absorb it and learn from it.  However, what they'll do, in all likelihood, is read it, rewrite it, change the scale, rename Top, portray him as an avid fan of the 54 mm game, and present his testimonial to the masses as a form of advertising.

Or, maybe, Top will just barf - either response would be valid.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 06:22:29 AM »
The best way to make your figures like the movie is to clip of the shoulder pads.  Then bury the figs, never to be seen in a theater, just like the movie.

I somehow doubt the 54mm fluff matches the movie fluff, only because it has deivated so far.

Don't even get me started on the RPG, also currently stuck in limbo.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:51:04 AM »
Wow, so everybody hates the movie here?  Just curious, what will you do if you actually end up liking the movie?  Will the universe end?

Hello

What we are angry about is the way paradox treated Thom and has no regard for gamers at all. They took a great game and gutted it to make money off of bull**** collectable games for ten year olds. That level of sheer greed  coupled with a total lack of respect for us and Thom is what is driving our venom at the film.

wmeredith
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:14:00 PM by wmeredith »
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 10:38:40 AM »
i kno the movie will probably be dumb, but it looks like itll be very stylized, at least: check out the 3rd picture in this set: i love how it combines the huge buildings with the spaceships:

http://www.omelete.com.br/Conteudo.aspx?id=100005599&secao=cine
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 10:39:44 AM »

I don't hate the movie as such and when it is a dollar at the video store I MAY watch it - IF someone else supplies the dollar.  ;D

My problem with Paradox, the 54mm game and the movie,  has been touched on by several but I will lay it out for you.

Paradox
When Thom ran Excelsior it was a small group of fans with a vison for the game who produced a good product. There were problems as there are anytime life is lived outside a vaccum. Paradox added to the problems with bull**** requirements and promises that never materialized. They were quick to cause problems but when it came time to stand up and be counted they left Thom holding the bag. Their denial of problems they caused added to the legitimate problems Excelsior had and made Thom et al look like screw-ups who were trying to pass the buck. Many so called fans - some holdovers from the Target days were quick to turn on Excelsior and go from thanking them for saving the game from the trash heap to blaming Thom and Excelsior for things they had nothing to do with. A major schism was caused in the fan base when the Excelsior/Demonblade debacle occured. It really got ugly after that. Several of the biggest supporters took sides and it got real personal. People, myself included, made online reputations that have stuck to them to this day. I am one of the few if not the only who has managed to overcome that rep. That is mostly due to the guys here giving me the chance to redeem myself. On other sites I am still considered one of the ultimate assholes of the 20th century. Against the backdrop of all this Paradox used the movie as a classic carrot and stick. They made promises that if Thom did something it would result in a movie credit or other movie related tangible benefit and if he stood against them, they threatened to cut Excelsior out of all the movie bennies. I was sick of hearing about the movie by 2001.

FFG and 54mm Warzone
I have nothing against the game or FFG directly. It is just not for me. I don't see the need to abandon a game I like to rebuild all my terrain and prepare for a game that so far has failed to ship. People used to crucify Thom for lack of communications and missed deadlines and Excelsior was a small company with 0 fulltime and only 4 part-time employees. Luckily most of the Philly crew from here would go by and volunteer their time to help out. In truth that is the secret of the close camraderie of those of us who have been around for awhile. Everyone knows that the others that have been here have been thru the fire and gave of themselves for this game and each other. Along the way more than one of us have gone thru marital problems that can be traced at least in small part to devoting our time and selves to this game and each other. I once told a guy we don't call each other "Brother" because we grew up as Hulk-amaniacs and it's true - we have come to know and care about each other.

When the news was announced that Paradox had pulled the license and given FFG the rights to produce a collectible game we were stunned and needed time to absorb the news. Mike Z came over from FFG to announce it on our forums annd to recruit for play-testors for what was then going to be a 32mm game. He was thanked but decided to stick around and cross the line. What should have been a smooth transition was ruined by his smart aleck approach. Then some former fans began talking about making thier own quasi-official versions. I still think FFG decided to go to 54mm because we all agreed that 32mm wasn't too far off the scale and we could pop thier figs off the collectible bases and use them as proxies.  

On top of all this, FFG has blown their release date at least 3 or 4 times. Of course everyone is still cutting them slack and making excuses for them. It ****es me off that Excelsior - a small company that was doing it's best - was crucified over delays while FFG - a large company with many, many employees - is forgiven for delaying the game tme and time again.

The Movie
This movie has been in varying stages of production for almost 15 years and they still haven't gotten it done. They have also completely rewritten the backstory and done major character revisions as well. It doesn't resemble the Warzone I have come to know and love. It may be a great sci-fi movie but it won't be Warzone an more than the Matthew Broderick version was Godzilla. It was a passable giant lizard movie but it wasn't the Big G. Me personally, if I wanted to keep the tie to the Warzone universe I would have called it "Warzone: Darkness Rising". I would have set it on Earth in the last days and I would have used soem of the same last names so that fans could make the connection that the heroes of UWZ are descendents of the movie heroes. My final line would have been, "Thank God we have escaped. Let the denizens of evil have this accursed place. We are on our way to a new world and a new life. We will never see such abominations again." And then the camera would pull back to show the planets and just beyond Pluto, I would have a small, dark planet come into view as if following an ellipical orbit.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Gravel

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »
Well thanks for the extensive explanation.  I can understand your feelings now and I totally agree with the fact that it's unfair the way Excelsior was treated when FFG has not even been able to release their MC after nearly 2 years.  BUT if Warzone continued to stay with Excelsior, don't you think it would have been possible for the syle and look of the models to have eventually changed?  In some ways?  Y'know, in the same way the style of 40K models changed over the years.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:42:06 AM by Gravel »

Offline Gravel

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »

Also, could we all TRY to get back to the subject of model conversion here?  Can't we have one discussion in which one mention of either the movie or FFG does not result in sarcastic and angry replies? ;D

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »

Also, could we all TRY to get back to the subject of model conversion here?  Can't we have one discussion in which one mention of either the movie or FFG does not result in sarcastic and angry replies? ;D

You brought up the movie - in fact it is the cornerstone of your question. I answered you.  You then asked - 

"Wow, so everybody hates the movie here?  Just curious, what will you do if you actually end up liking the movie?  Will the universe end?"

Everything that was posted after that is on you Gravel. You don't want sarcasm and anger don't ask loaded questions.

Offline CmdrKiley

• Mini Art of War
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »
I guess my question is why?

Why change the look and army structure of a good game based on a movie.  The movie is going to be so different that you might as well re-write everything for a new game.  Whatever the movie looks like is not going to severely influence the way I build/paint my models.  I might get some ideas for colors of uniforms, but I'm not going to be clipping shoulder pads off., nor am I chaning any logos to match the new ones.  Furthermore, I'm not changing army structures based on the movie.  Valerie DuVall will be Bauhaus and remain Bauhaus, she's sculpted as a caucasian and I'm not going to change my paintjob to make her look like Devon.  However, if someone were to make a model that resembled her in the movie.....well I'm not about using that model somewhere to fill in a gap in my Warzone armies.

I guess it's sort of like the Star Trek license.  Each time there was a game licensed to a company, that company had to extrapolate the whole universe based on the snapshot of existing canon material.  Same went for alll the countless novels.  However, by the time the next movie or TV series came out it was totally different from anything the game company had established.  Certainly the movie producers are not going to limit their creativeness based on someone's elses work unless they were contracted to do so.  When I played any Star Trek games, I didn't worry about if it fit contradicted episode #so and so, I played a game based on my setting as if I was the writer producer and director however it was usually limited within the bounds of the material presented in the game system I was playing with.  

As Topkick pointed out, I'd regard this movie as the American produced Godzilla movie.  It has nothing to do with the Japanese versions, and does not change my opinion of the Japanse versions (which I like better).  I'm sure if someone were to make a game based on Dune similar arguments would erupt over which versions the game should look and feel like.  Same went for Mongoose when they created the Starship Trooper game.  However they took all existing elements and blended it into their own storyline.  The movies or animated series has nothing to do with the game other than inspiration and this new SST3 that is coming out will not make me think any different of the game/models I currently have or force me to modify or repaint them.
Back in my day we didn't have that fancy non-toxic pewter stuff.  We played with lead, LEAD I TELL YA! and we liked it.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
Well thanks for the extensive explanation.  I can understand your feelings now and I totally agree with the fact that it's unfair the way Excelsior was treated when FFG has not even been able to release their MC after nearly 2 years.

No problem. You were operating at an information deficit and that isn't fair so I tried to be as inclusive as possible.

BUT if Warzone continued to stay with Excelsior, don't you think it would have been possible for the syle and look of the models to have eventually changed?  In some ways?  Y'know, in the same way the style of 40K models changed over the years.
I am quite confident that the look of the figs would have changed. In fact they have. The old styles and new styles of Capitol Light Infantry and Bauhaus Hussars are excellent examples. However the thing to remember is that going off the UWZ fluff the exodus from Earth would be a regression of the timeline and the look would de-evolve to something closer to modern military figs. I guess there is the arguement that the point of the movie would be at a point far enough into the future that the look and technology would advance to the point to being more advanced than that of the game. If that were the case then you would have to be careful not to have too tech a look or else your figs would violate the underlying principle that tech=heresy.