Author Topic: Inspiration...: for what applicabel?  (Read 34949 times)

Offline Lopis

Inspiration...: for what applicabel?
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »
OK, I hope this wasnīt asked before didnīt find it answered the way I would like it.....

Inspiration isnīt usable for the initiative Rolls.

But is it usable for other rolls than morale checks?

Lets say a Division commander LD 13 with inspiration:2 is in command distance of the seargeant of a squad of grunts.
Can they use the enhanced Leadership of the Division commander for spot rolls or TacSense rolls ?

Or again only for the morale checks?
Because the Divisional commander could anyway rally the grunts without the roll.
Seems a pretty useless SA for me  ???

Thanks in advance
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
Re: Inspiration...: for what applicabel?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:15:40 AM »
Yes, there are lots of non-morale related situations that cause LD tests:

Spotting
Jumping Down from large heights
Avoiding Damage from falling models
Firing from Wait
Dive for Cover

And that's just a few over the first few pages. Inspiration can be quite useful.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Lopis

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:40:14 AM »
Thatīs what I wanted to hear.
That itīs NOT usable only for morale checks.

Not for Initiative either, but I can live with that.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:29:04 AM »
And that's just a few over the first few pages. Inspiration can be quite useful.

not sure, but i think inspiration is only for morale..

so, itīs efficiently LD of officer + insp for morale.

the question i would like to know:

officer1 = LD 15
officer2 = LD 14 + insp2

a) what if officer1 is in command dist from officer2 _with inspiration_, does officer1s LD increase (yes) and troops in _his_ comm dist can profit even if they are not in comm dist. of officer2 ??
-> i think yes, as officer1 gets the bonus and troops can use his effective LD (reverse, if his LD is reduced, it also affects his leading abilities)

b) troops in comm dist of officer2 _and_ officer1, but officer1 not in comm dist of officer2
what happens?
-> i think 15 (from off1) +2 (gained from off2) is right

i love this ability, even if only for morale.. the blood & gut is really nice for capitol..
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »
Based upon the wording, it's not entirely clear whether it is strictly for morale or not. I'll check the FAQ.

It does state to "enforce Morale", in the fluff of the ability, but the ability rules simply states adds to LD within command radius.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »
After checking the FAQ and finding no entry, I went back to the book.

P. 75
Inspiration (Level 1-5)
Some Officers or Individuals project such an aura of authority, intimidation, or are so respected in the eys of their peers/underlings, that they can motivate others and enforce Morale during times of distress and panic.  Leaders with this ability may add their level of Inspiration to the effective LD value for both themselves and friendly models within their command radius.

By my understanding of the rule and the fluff, it seems as if this may be used for any LD test where the above criteria are met.  After all, it does state, "...motivate others and enforce Morale..."  Motivating others can clearly be read to mean that the ability may be used to add to effective LD for things such as Wait, Dive for Cover, Dire, Panic, Rally, et al. 

It could, even, be argued that it could be used for Initiative.  I will get back to you on that one.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »
Just my 2 cents, but I believe it is only for Morale. "motivate others and enforce Morale (which is in cap's) during times of distress and panic" There is no mention of Initiative or of LD test. Dire, Panic, Rally are Morale checks. If Inspiration affected Init. then we wouldn't need Strategic Insight. I think special abilities aren't as wide spectrum as covering all LD and Morale rolls. This is my take on the ability. ;D ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »
A nother glorious day in Warzone City

Chief O'Hara: Holy Mother Mcree another annoying conundrum for the Master of Confusion
Commissioner Gordon: I thought that the Riddler and the Joker were both in Arkham - Which villian are you refering to Chief O'Hara?
Chief O'Hara: The diabolical fiend of ambiguity, the nepharite of confusion, the prince of..
Commissioner Gordon: You mean the Rules Questioneer?
Chief O'Hara: God help us Commissioner it is he, what shall we do?
Commissioner Gordon: The only thing we can do Chief O'Hara - to the roof
Chief O'Hara: It's to be the FAQ signal then?
Commissioner Gordon: Precisely Chief O'Hara
Chief O'Hara: The blessed saints preserve him. We are lucky indeed that he has decided to help our fair city. But who could FAQman be Commissioner?
Commissioner Gordon: I don't know who he is behind that mask of his, but I do know when we need him... and we need him now!

Da da da da da da da da da da da da da...FAQman!"
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:23:02 AM »
Ya know, some people have FAR too much time on their hands! However, that did make me laugh realy hard, so, Karma to you!!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:49:43 AM »

P. 75
Inspiration (Level 1-5)
Some Officers or Individuals project such an aura of authority, intimidation, or are so respected in the eys of their peers/underlings, that they can motivate others and enforce Morale during times of distress and panic.  Leaders with this ability may add their level of Inspiration to the effective LD value for both themselves and friendly models within their command radius.

By my understanding of the rule and the fluff, it seems as if this may be used for any LD test where the above criteria are met.  After all, it does state, "...motivate others and enforce Morale..."  Motivating others can clearly be read to mean that the ability may be used to add to effective LD for things such as Wait, Dive for Cover, Dire, Panic, Rally, et al. 

It could, even, be argued that it could be used for Initiative.  I will get back to you on that one.

That is how I read it, as well.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
Please show me where in the fluff it says all LD test. I see where it says Morale and where it says the level of ability is added is added to LD of the model with the ability and those within command distance, but no mention of LD test or Initiative rolls. I'll PM Thom to see which way he intended it to work.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Lopis

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »

page 75:

"Leaders with this ability may add their level of inspiration to the effective LD value for both themselves and friendly models within their command radius"

What leads me to the next wuestion regarding the inspiration....

Whether it is usable for all LD tests or not ....is it cumulative?

Letīs say a Mounted Hussar Bannerman and Max Steiner...... or two Bannermen?

Greets

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
Please show me where in the fluff it says all LD test. I see where it says Morale and where it says the level of ability is added is added to LD of the model with the ability and those within command distance, but no mention of LD test or Initiative rolls. I'll PM Thom to see which way he intended it to work.

I did show it, Phil...

For your perusal, again ;)

P. 75
Inspiration (Level 1-5)

Adding to the effective LD stats of themselves and the friendlies within Command Distance yields "all LD tests," while the fluff also says,  "motivate and enforce Morale."

To me, that means all LD tests.  No mention is made of this affecting only Morale.  Motivation includes things like, "To the victor goes the spoils, you dogs - now take that hill!" and "Watch your step," and "HIT THE DECK!" and "Fire at anything that moves!" - not just, "Get a grip and get back in the battle, soldier!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:34:34 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:42 PM »
It's the "during times of distress and panic" that leads me to believe it only affects issues of Morale. I'am not saying your wrong, I just personally dont read it as covering all LD test or Initiative. I PM'ed Thom to see what he has to say. ;) ;)

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »
Cool, I welcome Thom's input.

As for the "...distress and panic," I would consider it very distressing to have to climb a hill, expose myself to enemy fire, and have no idea what was waiting for me at the top of the hill.  My sergeant would be "inspiring" me not to give a dang, and climb the hill anyway.  He would be improving my morale by adding to my LD.