Author Topic: Street fight idea.  (Read 13192 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Street fight idea.
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:41:57 PM »
Well, we've seen the Chronopia Deathmatch rules on Coki's site.  I have an idea that I want to try along the same lines, but making a small change.  Let me run this by you, and tell me if you would try this out.

Start with a 500 point force.  This number may change of course.

Halve the requirements for unit size and do not allow standard bearers, as this is a small scale skirmish, so, if your Orc Swordsmen are normally 4--8, now they are 2--4, and you can have one greatsword for every two swordsmen. 

Missile troops still can only be 40% of the total, but again, troop size is now halved.  Ignore the rule that when one member of a missile troop twenty's out, they all do.  Each model gets to shoot.

Maintain the standard one individual to one squad ratio.

Now, instead of Wounds as we see in standard Chronopia games, assign 7 "hit points" per wound the model normally has.  Now, in the course of the game, when a model scores a hit, roll 2d6 for damage, and assign those to the model against their total.

All the rules apply as in a regular Chronopia game, but I'm thinking this would be on a smaller table, in heavy terrain or ruins for that Mordheim feel. 

I'm going to try this out fairly soon.  Let me know what you guys think of the idea, if you have any suggestions, or ideas for later.  If this flies, I'd like to see what else we can add to this.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:36:36 PM by joshuaslater »
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Street fight idea.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »
 Sounds very promising Joshua.What else have you been up to latley,got any new painted miniatures to show.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
Well I've been working on lots of models, to little effect!!  For Spinespur, in the coming weeks I will be posting pics of models I'm working on under a friend's tutelage.  He is literally, as good a painter as I've met, and his stuff is Golden Demon quality.  I'm really trying to up my painting game to match my enthusiasm for playing, but it's frustrating to say the least.  I'll post pics of Spinespur over on their forum, assuming their transition goes smoothly, and here I will post pics, especially WIP's for my Talamania paint project.  I mean to have a Dark Legion/Cult army done by May, as there is more Warzone play than Chronopia, and I want to be able to join in all the fun.

This Streetfight idea I've had for some time, and want to try this first step.  Having played some Spinespur lately, I think coming up with new twists on our favorite Fantasy skirmish game would rock.  I know some of the guys on this forum are playing Spinespur, so they have some idea what I'm talking about.

My digital camera is still loaded with pics from a friends' wedding, so once I put them on a disk for him, I can start shooting mini pics.  I think you'll like the Hasslefree Grimdalf I painted with the Paul Muller Heresy Flesh Golem headswap.  Love conversions.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »
The 4-State Militia have been proponents of the "Deathmatch" rules for some time.  It is a good way to fit in more games in a shorter amount of time.  The only problem is the effexct it has on spellcasters, etc.  About 6 months ago I came up with the idea of the "half warband" game.  Like you Josh, in this game all warband requirements are halved.  Players get 500 pts and you can have a total of Individuals=#of warbands minus one.  So, if you have 3 warbands them only 2 individuals.  We have played this a few times and seems to work out well. 

I agree that changing things up and trying new ways is helpful.  If it works our then GREAT,  You have a new version of something you love.  If not, then you have another reason to appreciate what you got.  Anything that enhances and promotes our game gets cudos in my book.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:45:14 AM by DogOWar »
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »
Well, we played two test games, last night, and in two words, IT ROCKED!!  You need to have a smaller, very high density board to keep the spellcasters from dominating the game, and not having it too easy to place templates, but other than that, it was extremely nail biting, exciting, Chronopia.  Have at it.  Let me know your results.  It's too much fun not to try.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »
Its late on a saturday nite. The Lotus eater sits in a tree watching the events below unfold. The air is brisk, the clouds are heavy and the future is about to unfold...exactly as foretold by the lotus blossum trance.

Its late on a saturday nite. There is a full moon and the air is brisk. The ruined city lays ahead. The once mighty river, now a barren riverbed. A group of dwarves are out enjoying the evening with flasks of ale and weapons in hand.

Its late on a saturday nite. Its cold as hell, theres a storm coming and ahead is the pile of rubble that used to be a Dwarven city. A gang of Blackbloods are out looking for trouble. Weapons in hand and a chip on their shoulder.
The Blackbloods are out in force. Two Ogre Hvy Inf, an Ogre DeathSeeker, three Assault Warriors, six Goblin spearmen, a Goblin Champion and the wizened OG the Alchemist.

Suddenly, sensing trouble, the gang splits accoring to their own kind. The Ogres to the left and center, The Assault Warriors, guarding the OG take the bridge, the Goblins and their Champion to the right.

As they wait, the unsuspecting Dwarves continue their drunken walk.

Impatient as even the Hvy Inf attack early, only to find the Dwarves werent as drunk and alone as they thought. The Warriors, seeing the situation go bad before their eyes, open fire, felling one unlucky soul.

The OG tries to regain control by unleashing a firebomb to slow down the charging dwarves by killing a couple, he really succeeded in leaving the Goblins to fend for themselves as the warriors couldnt see through the smoke to shoot. 

The Hvy Inf quickly find themsleves overwhelmed by a totem and a few other dwarves. The Deathseeker gets jumped and taken out without doing much if any damage.

The spearmen seeing the situation in the center worsen, they swing under the bridge and join the fray.

One by one the dwarves fall. Helped to their demise by the powerful OG and his ever present firebombs.

Eventually, the lotus eaters view is blocked by the fire and smoke.
When the dawn breaks, In the field before him lies carnage. Slashed and punctured dwarves. Ripped and shredded goblins. Charred and blacked dwarves and  a drawn and quartered death seeker. The Warriors and the OG gather they remains of their friends, content in the knowledge that no dwarf lived to speak of just how close the battle really was.

The remaining Blackbloods trudge over the bridge and back towards home... to bury their dead.

The lotus eater smiles... Exactly as he had seen.... He would be pleased.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:15:49 AM »
I'm going to have to find a way to convert an Alchemist model with some bling, or a big clock on a necklace tellin' everyone it's BLACKBLOOD TIME!! 

Nice fiction Bryon, for what was a fun evening. 

I'm wondering if others have tried this yet, but I'm sure we'll get a few who do, and post.  We may run some of these games at Talamania if it catches on.  It lets you get a quick, but strategic game of Chronopia in, and then gives you more time for Warzone and all the other games that will be had.

We'll be playing games like this to really kick the tires, and next time we'll post pics.

Cheers.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:59:39 PM »
Josh. Youll have to add your force lists so people can truely understand the glorious battle that was the street fight.

The rules worked great and leaveled the playing field a bit. It was fun to roll a 1 against some one and then only roll a 3 or 4 for damage and they live.....
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »
I think the second battle I had:

3 Bloodbone Axemen & Leader
3 Bloodbone Axemen & Leader
3 Bloodbone Flayers and Leader
Mauler
Scavenger

Next go round I'm bringin' some missiles!!  I'm looking forward to hearing other people try this, as we had a blast.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:22:34 PM »
I'll have to pester Thom about this, among other things..

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
Once upon a time, I made similar rules.  They are in the first issue of Visions.  I would have included them, but they don't copy very well.  So download them here.
http://www.kerlin.de/chronopia/index_downloads.php#fanzines
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:34:58 PM by Glenn M »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »
I've always taken your contributions for granted Glenn!!  You've done a lot of work for this community.  You're Topaz Scorpion house for the Elves was a real inspiration to me for ideas and modelling conversion. 

It seems the people I'm playing Chronopia with have really taken a shine to the streetfight rules, as, like your idea, it makes for smaller games with the same nail biting intensity of the big ones.

Thanks for reposting the link; it gives even more options to us.
Karma to you.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
Thanks, I just like to toy with things.

I keep kicking the idea of rewriting the entire game and making it a free contribution so that we can keep playing with up to date and expanded rules.  Adding new troops and armies as those that fit the style are made.   Though I would make a lot of changes, I would definitely keep the style and vibe we get when you play.

For those interested, here was my basic premise for the rewrite.

All die rolls are supposed to be high, all stats are the higher the better.  3d6 rather than d20 to create a nice bell curve.  The side effect of this is low attack units have a harder time hitting, but swarms of them are much more effective.  The rules will have game play modules that can be added or removed without altering the game balance, but alter the play style.  So you may adjust the game to go from RPG, to Heroic Skirmish (Like we have done here), to Normal Skirmish (Chronopia), to large warfare (Warhammer), to epic campaigns (Chronopia Empires).

I actually have a ton of this already started.  I keep bouncing the idea of doing and "Open Source" wargame/rpg, but I just don't have the time or playtesters.  But I figured this way, if someone has a unit they want to add, or an army they want to make, we can easily construct it and play it while maintaining the proper game balance.

Dang, I ramble, anyways, something to chew on.  Perhaps someday, I'll get enough time to write all of it down, and get the foundations made.  Then I'll have you guys make your favorite armies, adding specials and such as we go.