Author Topic: Painting Guides  (Read 14907 times)

Offline eVerHaTe

Painting Guides
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:42:30 AM »
Hi everyone :),

i'm new to this Board and i really like Warzone. I've first get in contact with it in 1998 and then lost the connection but never forgotten the really cool universe :). So now i have get an old Version of Deluxe Box at eBay, the Minis are not Painted and not build together yet, so i got all the nice part of collecting Minis for myself :D.

Now my problem, i want to go as near as possible to the Universe with this Minis, but i wasn't able to find any Painting Guides for Minis. The one that i most want to know is for Imperial Regulars. Maybe someone can help me :). I'm not a great "Paintmaster" or something like this, but i hope that i will improve my skill by Painting Models. Learning by doing :D.

So far :) maybe can help me.

PS.: Sorry for my bad english *G*

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Painting Guides
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:53:24 AM »
There is plenty of material from which to draw inspiration, eVeR.

Did you buy the old second edition baxed set, or the new Ultimate Warzone boxed set?

If it was the old, those three books contain lots of artwork.  If it was the new, there are a few full color pages in the middle, complete with painting guide!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:30:17 AM »
As far as I know, there isn't really an "official" way to paint most of the minis.  Apart from units like the Crimson Devils or the Martian Banshees, I figure the artwork is the "standard" uniform colors, but I'd say you should feel free to color them differently if you want more of an urban theme, or paint them with reddish camo for a Mars type pattern.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline eVerHaTe

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 01:06:59 PM »
I have the Old Box, but guess... without the books, thats why it was so cheap. But i have buyed an old Corebook from an Mailorder so thats not the Problem. I had startet painting my first Mini's Today, the Primering was a mess ^^ my whole hand was black :D.

So after 3 Hours my Seargent is ready and my first regular is close too :).
Tomorrow i can upload pictures. Hope to get some tips from you guys :D.

Another Question how much does the Ultimate Warzone Corebook differ from the older Corebooks? Becouse the Ultimate Book is about 60€... and i got the Older one for 3 € *G*. My Question is, is the Old Book enough to get an entry in the World of Warzone or should i try to get the Ultimate as soon as possible. Thanks for answers :).

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 02:29:23 PM »
ya really need to get the New edition ASAP.  If nothing else, it has all the rules and forcelists and a nifty little painting guide.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem præparet bellum

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:27:45 PM »
I play Imperial, and I went with more of a WW2 British Infantry color scheme for my Regulars...

I also used a uniform guide for British military (early and late 20th century) as a guide...

B.
I knew those Osprey books were good for something...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline eVerHaTe

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 07:22:32 AM »
So here we go, my premiere for painting minis :D 5 Regulars of the Imperials... any tips for improvement are welcome :D

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:01:29 AM »
not bad dude!  In fact, They're probably better then mine are going to look. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:23:53 AM »
they look good to me...

if you are happy with how they turned out, that is all that matters...

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 02:39:38 PM »
Looking good...I have only one bit of encouragement - do more!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Anubis31

• Administrator
  • Exclesior Staff/Design
    • Excelsior Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 02:44:30 PM »
Not bad at all, I like the color choices, Only thing I would suggest would be maybe a brown wash to bring out some of the shadows and a little bit more highlights, but thats just my personal opinion. For a first paint job they are better then what I had done. So job well done.

Jon

Offline eVerHaTe

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 02:45:48 PM »
thanks for all the replies :) i think i will paint the rest of the minis over the weekend :) and try to get an Imperial Vehicle. My Girlfriend has asked me what she could buy me for Christmas... :D I hope i'm getting those Trenchers *lol*

I have read about that Washing thing, and maybe trying it. But i'm a little bit afraid to do it all way wrong *G*. But this Weekend i will give it a try ;).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:47:29 PM by eVerHaTe »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 06:02:50 PM »
The Trenchers are one of my favorite 28mm models ever, and the reason I want to start an Imperial army. :)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 01:29:28 AM »
Not bad at all! 

One piece of advice on the washes.  Mix about 3 drops of water, and one drop of black paint.  Mix and apply.  As you figure out the exact mix that works best for you, you can thin with more water, or thicken with more paint.  For you bedrolls on the backpack, mix brown paint and water.  As you use this basic wash, you will see where other colors can be used to make a good wash.  I.E. a dark blue wash over light blue, a red wash over yellow, and many more.

When you get comfortable with the effects, you will want to mix the paint with a mixture of water and acrylic floor wax.  The floor wax causes the washes to spread more evenly.  Take my word for it, that will help a lot.  In the US, the floor wax is sold under the Future brand name.  No idea on other parts of the world.

After that, you will want to do some drybrushing to bring out highlights.  Between washes, for shadows, and drybrushing to highlight, your figures will look even better. 

And, when you have all that done, flock your bases.  Flocking makes the figure look totally finished.

You are doing a fine job, please take this advice as a tip to keep improving. 
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline eVerHaTe

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 06:19:48 AM »
Thanks for the Tips :) i will try it soon if i find the time. :)