Author Topic: Converting with Soldering iron?  (Read 6753 times)

Offline brynolf

Converting with Soldering iron?
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:51:21 AM »
I have some odd and bulky models I am gonna convert pretty heavily. I thought "hey, if they are made out of tin, why not use a soldering iron to get rid of the bulky parts"... It works, I suppose, but the whole model gets really hot, and I fear it might deform... what do you guys think, is soldering an ok way to deal with miniatures...?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Converting with Soldering iron?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:55:46 AM »
If it works for you, then I guess that it is an okay way.  However, I would be concerned about the precision.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline brynolf

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:03:49 AM »
I don't use it for presicion, just to get rid of large bulky parts. Hm, but I'm starting to doubt this idea, the model gets so hot it is starting to melt the base... can't be good. Back to the knife I suppose...

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:22:25 AM »
The low melting point of the tin/pewter coupled with the fact that metal tends to heat evenly means that it will make the entire fig hot and probably ruin it makes this a bad idea. The best way I have found to remove bulky sections is with a dremel. It takes time and patience but it is better than a modelling saw or exacto blade.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline brynolf

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:03:52 AM »
Yeah, it wasn't a good idea.

Dremel? You mean drilling, or attaching some kind of saw to the dremel?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:35:08 AM »
Dremel's have grinding wheels not saws. ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Wedge

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:52:24 AM »
I prefer a hatchet or a saws-all.   ;)

Seriously though... I have used dremel and razor blades depending on the thickness of the appendage.  It took FOREVER for me to cut that Fury Elite Sergeant in half.  But the end result of him butchered on the base of the Angel of Fury was pretty cool.  I think the work is always worth it!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 08:44:51 AM »
Look near the dremels in your local hardware store. They make small kits of attachments that include cutting wheels, grinding wheels, polishing wheels, drill bits, and several other bits. Most include alternate collets as well so you can use the attachments on a wide range of dremel style tools. If you look you should find a stone in the same area that is used to shape the grinding and polishing bits to fit into small areas. I used to work as a die build up person in a casting foundry. I polished dies and made custom fitted ejctor pins and such so my dremel accesory kit is more extensive than most but almost all the things I have are available at hobby, craft or hardware stores.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline brynolf

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »
Sounds like something I should check out. Thanks, Topkick!

It should also bee good for drilling holes for attaching stuff. Like that slaughtered Deathdroid I have lying around. No glue in the world can save that piranha...

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:53:39 PM »
A dremel is *definitely* the way to go...I love mine. The ones with the flexible tips are easiest to use for me. They're a little more expensive, but well worth it....
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:28:55 PM »
If you get a dremel you ought to get a pencil grinder attachment or do what I did - get two dremels and have one set as the permanent pencil grinder.