Author Topic: 2nd Ed. or 3rd Ed.?  (Read 11381 times)

Offline CmdrKiley

• Mini Art of War
Re: 2nd Ed. or 3rd Ed.?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 05:51:45 PM »
I got started with 2nd Edition.  I liked it, but found Void more balanced and refined.

I really love Ultimate Edition, if it wasn't for the fact the book was such a mess it would be a much more fun game.  Part of the reason I'm making my stat cards is to cut down on the floppling through pages in the rulebook.  Too bad it wasn't broken up into 3 books like 2nd Edition.  I thought that was a great plan.  Rules in one book, army lists in another, and fluff in another. 

I've been glancing through my old 1st Edition rules, comparing them with what I've been used to.  I can see why it was such a popular game.  However, all the bouncing around between books really makes it worse the UWZ.  It probably would have been nice for a Compendium of the 1st Edition Books.  However UWZ is probably the closest one can get to a 1st Edition Compendium.

My group hasn't played much Warzone in a few years.  I've only recently started messing around with it again.  When we played, we mostly played multi-player games.  I usually set up some elaborate scenario.  I find that UWZ works really well for scenario oriented games, while 2nd Edition was more a of 40k'ish style large scale competition type game.
Back in my day we didn't have that fancy non-toxic pewter stuff.  We played with lead, LEAD I TELL YA! and we liked it.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »
I highly recommend the Army builder program for generating your army.  Everything is on one sheet - stats, skills, weapons, etc., and it's easy to change and swap stuff from battle to battle without a lot of erasing and writing.

AFA Skills - I put together a little skill summary sheet that help stop page flipping - if anyone wants it - am happy to share.

Also AFA the UWZ rulebook - it runs for about $10 USD or less on ebay almost weekly and with the power of the Euro these days that prob. cheaper than running copies off at your local Kinkos.

D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »
Way to take the initiative and contribute, warzoneD.  You could post it in this thread.  If you need help, let me know.  Karma to you!

P.S.:  E-mail it to me, please.  dmcgee1@gmail.com
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 06:46:17 PM »
Quote from: CmdrKiley link=topic=4400.msg28478#msg28478 date=
I got started with 2nd Edition.  I liked it, but found Void more balanced and refined.

I really love Ultimate Edition, if it wasn't for the fact the book was such a mess it would be a much more fun game.  Part of the reason I'm making my stat cards is to cut down on the floppling through pages in the rulebook.  Too bad it wasn't broken up into 3 books like 2nd Edition.  I thought that was a great plan.  Rules in one book, army lists in another, and fluff in another. 

I've been glancing through my old 1st Edition rules, comparing them with what I've been used to.  I can see why it was such a popular game.  However, all the bouncing around between books really makes it worse the UWZ.  It probably would have been nice for a Compendium of the 1st Edition Books.  However UWZ is probably the closest one can get to a 1st Edition Compendium.

My group hasn't played much Warzone in a few years.  I've only recently started messing around with it again.  When we played, we mostly played multi-player games.  I usually set up some elaborate scenario.  I find that UWZ works really well for scenario oriented games, while 2nd Edition was more a of 40k'ish style large scale competition type game.

I have seen the unit cards, and they are nice.  BTW, CmdrKiley , I love the Zap Brannigan icon.  "You win again, gravity!"
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline CmdrKiley

• Mini Art of War
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »
Thanks!

I'm finishing up the Brotherhood as I write.  I've already completed Capital, Bauhaus, Imperial, and Cybertronic. 

BTW, that's my favorite line from Zap Brannigan.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:57:19 PM by CmdrKiley »
Back in my day we didn't have that fancy non-toxic pewter stuff.  We played with lead, LEAD I TELL YA! and we liked it.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 03:16:26 AM »
I've been playing since first edition (actually in a way since before Warzone- a friend of mine ran a Mutant Chronicles game as at TTG-it was a blast).  I felt 2nd Ed kind of confused things as far as the rules go, although the stats were closer to the RPG.  Third is the best so far IMHO.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Daikoku

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 11:18:31 AM »
I played like TWO games of 2nd edition WarZone, both times at conventions.

I've been a Pen & Paper roleplayer since 1979.  Never much got into miniatures wargaming as such.  But I played a game called Shockforce which was VERY rules light and easy enough for my young stepson and his friend to play.  It was squad based with alternating turns and I liked the backstory.  The figures though for certain factions were not to my liking, and I had little or no terrain (and I'm not great at building my own).  So at the same convention that I picked up Shockforce I found a huge Target Games display.  They had terrain and decent looking figures.  I REALLY liked the Samurai flavor of Mishima and picked up a few of the boxed sets.  Fast forward a few years and the company that was publishing Shockforce screwed up and published a TERRIBLE 2nd edition of their game then went belly up.  So, I took a look at the 'new and improved' WarZone rules (UWZ) and liked what I saw.  Been playing it ever since.
Life is a mountain, death is a feather, duty is all  -  Mishiman Proverb

Offline JohnL5555

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:22:13 PM »
   Being a big fan of 1st edition I understand completely the frustration of finding all the stats in different books. However, there is a file that has every stat and spercial ability in it for each force in 1st edition.

I REALLY like the mechanics in UWZ. They remind me of 1st. But, I don't like how the armies were really changed from what they had been in 1st. I have a vast number of armies but they are structured so that they don't fit well into UWZ. I liked having my mixed DL force from 1st. I REALLY would prefer to simply have a point system that was way more flexible in troop type selection and combinations. You just paid for it in points. That would IMMEDIATELY make me a convert. But, it ain't gonna happen and so I stay dinking around with 1st edition. My armies focus on units and not individuals.

Thanks,

John

Offline brynolf

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:51:40 AM »
Roughly 400 pages of the 520+ pages are nothing more than army lists.  Only about 140 pages are actual rules.  Give it a closer read.

Yikes! Compare that to the about 30-40 pages of the 2nd edition rulebook (no, I don't count the worthless vehicle/building rules). How much could they possibly have added? Darn it, ok, I'm gonna read the UWZ all day until my parcel from Nobleknight gets delivered.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 03:13:56 PM »
Ooo.... toughie (not).

3rd Ed...  I tend to think of 2nd edition in the same frame of mind as "Highlander II"- That it was a blip on the viewscreen and really did not exist.

there was a highlander II?  Surely you jest...
No really there was....
You sure?
Yes I'm sure... see *holds up vcr tape with movie*
Oh wow...  how is it?
Utter crap and very forgetable... which is why you don't remember it.
Oh...

I've been connected to the game as a whole since Heartbreaker was teh source of the minis... and frome the 1st rulebook for 1ed.  And from the standpoint of which edition is better, 3rd is pretty damn solid- though I would not mind a modified 1ed game using the 3ed troops and stats.

I miss my Free Marine Army of Doom...
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
Well if CC wasn't so screwy in second edition it might stand a chance. But it was.

So third edition wins hands down. Especially as far as balance is concerened.

I also ripped the book apart and put it into several binders. I also re-did the BH army in a second edition style format so it took up WAY less space.

Offline Spagg

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 02:22:05 PM »
My group plays UWZ!! I played a few 2nd edition games, but my group prefers the UWZ mechanics and rules.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »
my first army was brotherhood and i powerplayed all the time!!  ;D ;D

there was a big group ~7-10 players (~6 a night)

group games, ~3 squads+x / player..

fist the obviouse injuisitor majoris + troopers army, later the pilgirm executener+troops army  :D
he could get A 30 for the game, had parry , 2 CC attacks / A multi-wound-dam11 and for some time +5 S with cybernetic arm!
not to forget medi-pack.. (50%, i remember)

and, most horrible, he could fly into CC

yeah..

now, with UWZ i am very tame  ;)

i try to bild hard lists, but to avoid monotony.. (see my posting on army constuction)
support units are cool and i want to play with them, elites also !

really, mostly i construct both army lists we play with..  ::) lasy.. but so i can experiment ;)

cus

ps
cybertronic is very interesting to construct.. you can actually include 4 scorpions..
on the other hand, the donīt have move and shoot..
i like the cancer because it is cheap..
2 eradictors are also nice.. they are quite better than the hurricane.. (both, but AV is better.. -> i search an eadicator AV!!! :'()
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:56:45 PM by NoTrollNick »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."