Author Topic: 2nd Ed. or 3rd Ed.?  (Read 11374 times)

Offline WallyTWest

2nd Ed. or 3rd Ed.?
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:28:10 PM »
How do you play Warzone?

Board Sizes, Common Point Ranges, Unique Terrain?

P.S.
My name is wally, USA/NH.
Voidzone, Darkeden, Wolfbarins w/ inq and gasmasks, working on DE terrain set. Want to collect Chronotopia Orcs and some Dark Legion (Maj or Demi.)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: 2nd Ed. or 3rd Ed.?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 09:39:36 PM »
I have been around since 1st Ed and have evolved from that version to Ultimate. I have several armies and generally play between 500 and 1250 points. Terrain and special rules as appropriate to the scenario. A group of us run events at Origins every year and may start attending GenCon at least for the weekend as it is close.

Personally I have grown fond of 4 x 4 boards but also play 4 x 8. Have actually run some 500 point games on 3 x 3 boards.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:54:05 AM »
How do you play Warzone?

Board Sizes, Common Point Ranges, Unique Terrain?

P.S.
My name is wally, USA/NH.
Voidzone, Darkeden, Wolfbarins w/ inq and gasmasks, working on DE terrain set. Want to collect Chronotopia Orcs and some Dark Legion (Maj or Demi.)

We (the Right Coasters) usually play on 48" x 48" boards with lots of terrain.  We vary the environmental rules, almost never playing games where there are no environmental rules.

We normally play 1000 PC games, but have been known to play less and more.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline brynolf

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:57:30 AM »
I don't really play at all right now, but if I did, it would be 2nd ed with some house rules. I haven't got around to reading UWZ, the PDF I have is too cumbersome to read. Partly because it is a PDF, and partly because it is so frigging huge anyway.  ;)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:17:43 AM »
Brynolf -

Don't let the size of UWZ intimidate you. If you break it down into sections - fluff, rules, and seperate army lists - it is much easier to digest. Each section reads quickly. I actually seperated my book and had it bound that way. It was/is a good selling point for people who were intimidated by the size of the book. Once you divide it up and take a few minutes a day, you'll be surprized how easy a read it is.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline brynolf

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:10:06 AM »
I intend to, but first I have to find the actual book, or print the PDF (which will probably kill my printer).

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:32:08 AM »
The book is not hard to find there are multible copies available almost always on ebay. ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55:14 AM »
Like Topkick, I have been around awhile.  I like parts of all the official incarnations of Warzone.  1st Edition required heavy amounts of House Rules.  2nd  edition took less and 3rd took even less.  I deem that a sign of improvement.  You should really play UWZ (or 3rd edition if you will).  It is the best balanced of all three games.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »
I too have been around since the beginning, and have enjoyed all 3 versions of the game , but I'd have to say 3rd edition is best. Not to say i would'nt play the other versions. ;D ;D ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline brynolf

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
I like the simplicity of 2nd edition, compared to 1st, when everything became a mess with rules scattered all over the place. 3rd seems more advanced, but I will of course check it out when I have the time.

Offline WallyTWest

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:10:42 AM »
I bought the models years ago, the Wolfbarins looked so cool at the time. I guess that was first edition, but I never got into the actual game. (7th grade... sigh.)

I have played Rogue Trader, 3rd, 4th, Void, WHFB, LOTR and Chronotopia. Out of all the rulesets I really enjoyed Void the most. (Sorta the offspring of Warzone.) Then I saw the second edition warzone and dark eden book at a garage sale, and snatched it. I will confess that my only problem with warzone stems from the use of a D20, but an online conversion for Void 1.1 allowed me to get into it with d10's. It was fun, but I only played a dozen games.

4 years latter I have found my Wolfbairns again. My tastes in wargaming have changed and my understanding of the wargame's universe have inproved a great deal thanks to mutantpedia. Looking at the 3rd and 2nd edition Warzone books, there are some signigifant changes, I cant believe how the "flavor" of the 3rd edition book is so diffrent, but agian I am intrested in playing this tabletop game. Perhaps expanding my collection to include other armies and develop a narative. Am I really playing Warzone or is using the background enough? There is somthing about the d20 I dont like but perhaps its time to put it asside?

And I dig 4x4s too. They have that "Just Right" feel.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 12:21:40 PM »
Representing Hollywood Cali here.  We play 1000-3000 point games. 

UWZ - Have been playing since v.1 and really like the emphasis on squads over individuals in this Ed.

We play on a on a 4'x 4' table or a 4' x 6'

Current Favorite Armies: Dark Legion: Illian (Just love the Vahldredd fig and those templars), Capitol, and Cybertronic. 

Nemesis: Imperial Headhunters!

Been designing and building a lot of terrain of late including, swamp, forests, trenches, urban military outpost, and a governor's mansion.  Hoping to post some pics later today if my GF ever emails me the ones we took!

Offline Jase

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 01:35:38 PM »
Played 1st, dabbled in 2nd, trying out third.

We've played 6' x 4' tables, kitchen tables, floors with a variety of terrain. Mainly we use 500 - 1000 pnt troops.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »
Quote from: brynolf link=topic=4400.msg28389#msg28389 date=
I don't really play at all right now, but if I did, it would be 2nd ed with some house rules. I haven't got around to reading UWZ, the PDF I have is too cumbersome to read. Partly because it is a PDF, and partly because it is so frigging huge anyway.  ;)

Roughly 400 pages of the 520+ pages are nothing more than army lists.  Only about 140 pages are actual rules.  Give it a closer read.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 04:05:37 PM »
i printed the file in 2 spiral-bound books, ~the fatness of an GW army book each..

(but the army lists from the pdf´s at mutantpedia, much shorter & clearer to read.., but no fluff..)

at a copyshop it is affordable, i think..

i have the real book, but i must say the 2 booklets are easyer to open and use..
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."