Author Topic: Difiler Pod impact damage  (Read 5488 times)

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Difiler Pod impact damage
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:50:05 AM »
Hello

This came up in a game sunday. What kind of effect/damage would occour to a unit that is under the template for a Defiler Droppods paradeploy. I have pods and would like to know what would happen in this circumstance.

wmeredith
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:34:37 AM by wmeredith »
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Difiler Pod impact damage
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:06:45 AM »
also due they scatter?

can it be captured if landing on a squad ( I wouldnt think so)?

if it hits terrain and it cant move the 3in to be out of way does it  auto-die or simiply lands on top of said terrain (I would thiink so)?
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »
There are, actually, answers to these questions - I am at work, right now and will answer once I get home to review the rules.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Wedge

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »
I was under the impression that it has to land in a certain area (not within 3" of terrain and x" from the enemy).  I have no book either, but I thought it didn't deviate.  That's why the landing rules are so precise.  I could be wrong, been a while since I used my drop pod.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:14:59 PM »
pp. 446, 455, 466, 471, 478:  Drop pods must select landing zone exactly as Para-deployed troops do.  The pod lands deployed.  Next activation troops may exit.  If destroyed before they exit, roll for survivors same as if in a wrecked transport.

That's the official rule.  However, I find it difficult to believe that the pod is killed if it lands within 3" of an enemy.  Further, I feel that any troop caught under it should have to Dive for Cover if it was on Wait, test for LD at -4 if not on Wait or suffer a DM 15 (or so) attack if unable to avoid it.

If it hits terrain, I would say that it crushes anything that is not Hard Cover, and that if the terrain is Hard Cover, that it should be subject to the Falling Rules as if it fell from 15" (thereby making it a DM 16 (x3) attack on the defiler pod).  The Hard Cover would be subject to the same attack.

FAQ Team?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:19:28 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »
But does it deviate? I thought it did. As far as I know it is not killed if it deviates within 3 inches of an enemy model and I believe that if it lands on a squad you use the small explosion templete as the damage area.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 03:11:16 PM »
pp. 446, 455, 466, 471, 478:  Drop pods must select landing zone exactly as Para-deployed troops do.  The pod lands deployed.  Next activation troops may exit.  If destroyed before they exit, roll for survivors same as if in a wrecked transport.

That's the official rule.  However, I find it difficult to believe that the pod is killed if it lands within 3" of an enemy.  Further, I feel that any troop caught under it should have to Dive for Cover if it was on Wait, test for LD at -4 if not on Wait or suffer a DM 15 (or so) attack if unable to avoid it.

If it hits terrain, I would say that it crushes anything that is not Hard Cover, and that if the terrain is Hard Cover, that it should be subject to the Falling Rules as if it fell from 15" (thereby making it a DM 16 (x3) attack on the defiler pod).  The Hard Cover would be subject to the same attack.

FAQ Team?

sounds great to me.
Dragons question is good one though.

I wonder if it deviates. it seems for points paid it shouldnt?
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »

FAQ Team?

sounds great to me.
Dragons question is good one though.

I wonder if it deviates. it seems for points paid it shouldnt?

I am almost certain it does not deviate.  That is why it can't be within 3" of terrain.  It is pretty strict where it can and cannot land.  Putting a deviation to it seems to defeat the purpose of the restrictions.  I will look it up when I get home and give more input unless someone finds it before me.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »
If it is done exactly as Para-deploy, then it deviates, by my understanding of the rule.  Otherwise, it will never hit troops, either, as you cannot place the template within 6" of enemy models/cards.

I do not think that it can be read another way.  Again, the original question of damage is moot, if it has to place the template, and not roll for deviation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:52:12 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »
...Further, I feel that any troop caught under it should have to Dive for Cover if it was on Wait, test for LD at -4 if not on Wait or suffer a DM 15 (or so) attack if unable to avoid it.

Correction:  The LD test, according to the Falling rules is LD minus the SZ of the falling object, or, in this case, LD - 5.  Further, the model caught under any falling object takes damage equal to the falling object's damage.

FAQ Team?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
Does the Drop pod deviate or not?
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 08:54:22 AM »
might be noobish, but i was under the impression that you only choose a landing point according to the paradeploy units.

the pod does not actually land (with any further rules / roles), but start the game deployed

-> no derivation, just a legal landing point, and thatīs it.
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."