Author Topic: Iwo Jima...  (Read 21559 times)

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: Iwo Jima...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »
I think Topkick is onto something.  It would be an absolutly sick idea.  You could get different people to play different squads, and if they're far enough away from each other, you could have them activate simultaniously, that would speed the game up, at least.

this was something that I was going to do...I've played in some relatively large games up here and it really does speed things up...except when some of the people in question are slowing things down (by talking...ignoring...getting in fights with each other..etc)

Not sure if it is going to be so big that it requires multiple time slots...that might be too much...

B.
but hey...I've done worse...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 09:43:12 PM »
You laugh but I have seen "training boards" (let's face it they are game board complete with terrain and figures and everything) that take that are 50 x 80 feet.  They are raised above the ground like a regular table and those sticks like you see in WWII movies are used to move units around.

Worse, down in Norfolk at the Naval Base, the Marine Corps has an "Amphibiousl Landing Simulator" that you have to see to believe.  This thing has been around since the 1950's and uses cutting edge 50's train set technology, enhanced over the years with big screen monitor and little else.  Ships move forward, landing craft circle.  Other ships fire and things on the shore blow up.   An F-18 even flies into the ground.  It's awesome in it's train wreck glory.

Both were made out of plaster and wood but had terrain.  If worked on either base I swear I would sneak in on the weekends and play on them just to say I'd done it.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 06:45:15 AM »
If they ever throw them out, grab 'em!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 01:00:27 PM »
I met a guy at a Con that played Crimson Skies and used old WWII era aerial maps that covered 2 ping pong tables and used sticks to move planes. Reminded me of the old Battle of Britain movies where they showed RAF command tracking incoming planes and responding RAF squadrons
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »
The funny part is that the one was supposed to be tied into a computer system that was projected above the board showing wear simulated fire was landing.  It kept breaking down and the instructors would toss cotton balls onto the field to simulate where the rounds were landing. 

And they laugh at us and call us geeks.

Going back to the original topic-Okinawa may in many ways be a better parallel for what you are trying to accomplish.  I realize you are not trying to recrate a battle, merely capture the feel, but Iwo Jima was burned black by the times troops landed.  Okinawa still had plenty of jungle left and would be more realistic to have trees and bushes and the like to pop out of.  Another conept may be the Banzai charge.  Have surivivirs of broken units or those down to one or two troops consolodate into a large force at a central location then (create an "average" for close combat and have them get to do one final charge against the enemy that will fight to the last man and cannot fail morale.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 08:26:16 PM »
I think that the background is going to be more like a jungle firebase with a small garrison that is in the middle of an inspection by a higher officer and his retinue is suddenly attacked by a large Capitol force that is looking for something....

I haven't worked out all of the details yet, but I've still got a little time yet...

B.
Okinawa does sound like a better parallel...I love the internet search engines...

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 06:13:03 AM »
Well, Capitol could be there trying to kill the Officer... and do as much collateral damage as possible.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 07:38:37 PM »
Well, Capitol could be there trying to kill the Officer... and do as much collateral damage as possible.

nope...identification and elimination of Mishima assets...the killing of the officer is just a bonus...

B.
almost done...just a few small tweaks...

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 07:58:30 PM »
Nice thought JibJab - An interesting variation would be to add an antenna or a microwave comms tower/dish to the strongpoint and have Capitol assault the sectors comms center prior to the main assault. Make the objectives as follows:

1) Disable the comms tower/dish
2) Kill the officer and
3) Capture the codebook

The degree that these are accomplished could then have an influence on future scenarios
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 05:52:23 PM »
Nice thought JibJab - An interesting variation would be to add an antenna or a microwave comms tower/dish to the strongpoint and have Capitol assault the sectors comms center prior to the main assault. Make the objectives as follows:

1) Disable the comms tower/dish
2) Kill the officer and
3) Capture the codebook

The degree that these are accomplished could then have an influence on future scenarios

DING DING DING DING...

Topkick wins the big prize...in fact, the antenna idea was exactly what I was thinking about from the beginning...

B.
All done now also...now on to playtesting...

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 05:06:02 PM »
All done now also...now on to playtesting...

OK so when do we start this?  How do things look for you this Sunday?  Kevin from Michigan is coming down and we're going to put together a match, or two, or three, or you get the point.

Anyway, let me know.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 08:19:56 PM »
OK so when do we start this?  How do things look for you this Sunday?  Kevin from Michigan is coming down and we're going to put together a match, or two, or three, or you get the point.

gotta work...you know, the Christams shopping season...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now...

B.
Tension breaker...had to be done...
let me know if you need the army lists...

Wedge

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 10:53:46 AM »
Slightly off topic:

The best book I have EVER read on WWII (and I've read plenty) was "Flags of our Father's" by James Bradley.  James' father was one of the flag raisers at Iwo Jima--and it is a reflective story about all the events that occurred through the eyes of the dozens and dozens of surviving marines that he interviewed.  Truly a wonderful book and awesome story.  I agree with Brokaw, they are the Greatest Generation.

And yes... Iwo Jima was nearly terrainless.  No trees to speak of... lots of scrub brush and holes in the ground from all the shelling.  There were HUNDREDS of pillboxes dotting the landscape and the underground tunnels and bunkers were a true labyrinth of rooms and hallways.  You could get lost on there for months.  Most marines didn't even see a Japanese soldier until after several days of fighting.

Anyway... just thought I'd put that out there.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 02:16:41 PM »
I am able to cheat a little bit about designing this scenario because I know someone that took part in several of the major offensives in the Pacific...this person came in at the tail end of the Iwo Jima offensive but took part fully in the Okinawa offensive...I've been picking his brain pretty intensively via the internet over the last couple of weeks regarding terrain, etc...

what I've designed is based on these offensives, but not a replica of them...I'm planning on using some type of jungle terrain and bunkers, but the final layout I'm still wrestling with at this time...

the hardest thing about this was the army lists, which I've finally finalized...I have 2 lists available, one which I am going to submit to Topkick, and one that I might play for fun with some of the more advanced players that show up (but nothing official as far as the Origins playlists are concerned)...

B.
will the warmth ever return?