Author Topic: SOK magic  (Read 11587 times)

Offline troy-the-just

SOK magic
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
ok, started playing SOK this weekend, my first experience with them, and i have a few spell questions:

Spear of LLYR pg. 306

"if the model is killed, the spear will then hit the closest enemy model within 4""

1.  if i target and wound a model with more than 1 wound, what happens?  its not a residual damage attack, and the model isnt killed, is the spell then done?

"for every model attacked after the first, the damage of the spear is reduced by 2."

2.  ok, 1st model 12, 2nd 10, 3rd 8, 4th 6, 5th, 4, 7th 2.. then what happens, for sake of argument, i punch up a bunch of elven militia and kill 7, is the spear than done?

i think that is it, every thing else is pretty straight forward.  my interpretation of the above would be

1)  if the spear of LLYR is cast against a model with more than 1 wound, and the model isnt killed, the spear is done.  I do have a bit of a problem with that, i could also argue that it would then bounce to the next enemy model within 4", but that nasty language does require the model to be killed in order for the spear to target another model.

2)  quite simply, if you are lucky enough to kill 7, the spear's energy is all used up and it is gone.

i used this spell to great effect this weekend against Firstborn Black Sisters, killing 4, so it certainly is a potent spell, and in the right circumstances, i.e. against opponents with weak armor, can be deadly and quite possibly decisive.  of course i couldnt get it off the rest of the game, but it did its damage

Offline Jase

Re: SOK magic
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:09 AM »
Your first interpretation of the spell is the way I'd call it. If it hits and wounds a multiwound once, then its done. Best to use it against the 1 W troops, or as a coup de grace on a multi wound figure that is done to one, then it hops from that corpse to the next victim if possible.

Jase

"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline troy-the-just

Re: SOK magic-new question
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:17:31 AM »
ok, i have another question, just want to verify my interpretation:

blessing of the goddess:  pg. 304:  "when successfully cast the blessing of the goddess is bestowed on a single living sok model.  the target model ignores te first wound inflicted on it, after which the effect wears off."

questions:

1.  how long does it last?  it appears to me it lasts until the model is wounded successfully, that wound is ignored, since no time specification is noted.

2.  On who can you cast it?  A.  an SOK model:  what if i am playing the tribe of the dawn and 30% of my force is firstborn, can i cast it on a firstborn model?  what if i am playing shadow tribe, can i cast it on a devout?

my interpretation would be no, it can only be cast on an SOK model.

B.  Single LIVING Model?  what does that mean?  what about the "unliving" or the viridian lords, are they living for this spell, or are they not considered living?

My interpretation would be that this spell cannot be cast on a model that has died, in order to make them ignore their last wound, the model must be alive when it recieves the spell.  the unliving or viridian can recieve the spell, as it doesnt say "mortal" or anything of that nature.

as always, i appreciate the help

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »
To  answer part B it would be no the Viridian lord is an enchanted being created by magic and the unliving are undead hense not living. See pages 55 and 56 look under Classification it will explain.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
i see your point, and could agree wtih the unliving, as by definition they are not living, but the Viridian are elemental classification, the spell uses "living" not any specific classification, so i assumed it was meant in the generic sense as still being alive or animated, not having been wounded beyond its capacity.  id like other opinions on this, I asked as it is a bit unclear I think

Offline Jase

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 05:49:34 AM »
My two bronzes :

question 1 - correct

question 2 A - cast on any SOK model, not allies

question 2 B - cheesy rules lawyer wise, I would say that a living SOK model includes Viridian lords, unliving, chariots, etc. However I am not a cheesy rules lawyer. If this came up to argue I would suggest dicing for it, highest roll wins then house ruling from then on.  If cast on a dead SOK model, spell wouldnt work.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 06:33:29 AM »
Jase to your 2B the above was not cast on any, it was cast on any living. Unliving are classified as undead hense not living, a Chariot is classified as mortal/beast hense it is living the only one I questioned is the Viridian Lord since it is classified Elemental. The Fluff says he dies and then is brought back as a VL.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Jase

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »
Yeah, I can see your point. I was interpreting living SOK model as  a model still being on the table.

Jase

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »
i can readily agree with not casting it on the unliving (not that anyone woudl want too), but id tend to say the viridian lord applies, as the spell doesnt say mortal, which it could, i think we need to read living broadly as any unit still active on the board, however, the undead is a little too far to string it i think.  ill run it by my crew this weekend and see how we are going to play it, i like to get this things sorted out before i even use or choose a spell, hate to have my strategy disrupted by a poor interpretation, thats why i like running it by the board, other opinions are always useful.

thanks all

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
My inturpretation is that the spell would apply to those beings classified as mortal.  Anything else is up for grabs.  this is one of those areas that needs to be cleared up.  Is an elemental a "living being".  Its "ify" in the context of what the author, Thom, meant.  Are sunmoned beings "living"???  On there home plane they might be.  What an interesting question???
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »
right, if it would have said it can be cast on "any living mortal sok model"  than we know what it means, i think the elemental is the only real questions, i was hoping to get more people to opine, if they even use that spell,

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
I`d also say that only models classified as "mortals" can be the target of the spell...

The wording is unclear though...

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 07:47:21 PM »
     @Troy-- Do you mean the Viridian Lord(s) as far as elementels go?
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Coldthunder

• Excelsior Crusader Midwest Region
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
If I remember the story, Viriden Lords are old and wounded heros that choose to join with nature to continue the good fight. By joining with nature they become a force of nature thus Elemental. I always believed that they were dedicated heros that believed in the safty of thier home and family and did anything to continue protecting it. No one really knows if they die to achieve this or not. Given the fortitued and the determination of the warrior and the fact that he is still under his own power after being summoned. I would say he lives and is subject to the spell. I do agree with the idea of rolling the dice to settle this.
A friend will bail you out of jail --
A good friend will be sitting right next to you saying "Damn that was Fun!!"

Wedge

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »
I have always been in the mindset that VL's are living models.  Elemental or not they certainly aren't undead.  I have cast BotG on my Viridian Lord Champ many many many times.  If this is wrong--I've been quite the cheater.  ;)