Author Topic: Mutant chronicles movie  (Read 63454 times)

Ironhawk_Everson

Mutant chronicles movie
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:00:34 AM »
I guess they are never going to finish this project but it would be great if would.

Apparently Thomas Jane (The Punisher) has been nabbed to topline a movie.
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21855

Here is allso some makeup effects from the movie.
http://www.jellybaby.ndirect.co.uk/MutantChronicles.htm

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
Re: Mutant chronicles movie
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 09:20:36 AM »
It's a shame...I'd love to see a Mutant Chronicles movie - especially if it wasn't just the same old b-movie fare...but I'd probably enjoy it and buy it even if it was.

On a side note, the movie "Ghosts of Mars" isn't particularly good (I call it "Stupid People of Mars" since the "heroes" are pretty dense in their actions), but it definitely has a MC feel...I heard a rumor that it was inspired by MC, but don't know if there's any validity to that.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:50:35 AM »
It's a shame...I'd love to see a Mutant Chronicles movie - especially if it wasn't just the same old b-movie fare...but I'd probably enjoy it and buy it even if it was.

On a side note, the movie "Ghosts of Mars" isn't particularly good (I call it "Stupid People of Mars" since the "heroes" are pretty dense in their actions), but it definitely has a MC feel...I heard a rumor that it was inspired by MC, but don't know if there's any validity to that.

Have a look at this
http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/pages/press/reporter960808.html

Hollywood Reporter:
August 8, 1996
Carpenter in ‘MUTANT’ hunt
By Stephen Galloway

John Carpenter, hot on advance word for his Paramount/Rysher film ESCAPE FROM L.A. will next team with producer Edward Pressman to make an adaptation of the game MUTANT CHRONICLES.

The fantasy adventure centers on an unlikely team of heroes who have to return to Earth after it has been ravaged by war and then save mankind from a growing demonic armuy.

Pressman is developing CHRONICLES with a view to creating the same kind of franchise that THE CROW has become for him. No studio is yet attached to the project.

Philip Eisner (EVENT HORIZON, I, ASSASSIN) and David Goyer (THE CROW: CITY OF ANGELS) have written the script based on the game created by Sweden’s Target Games.
BATMAN FOREVER scribe Akiva Goldsman, who supervised script development, will serve as executive producer with Alessandro Camon. Pressman will produce with Tim Zinnemann.

Pressman is now working on marketing plans with Target Games. It is expected those will include a toy line, along with publishing and video games by Acclaim Entertainment. An animated TV series is also being developed.

In addition, through Acclaim Comics, Pressman’s Top Dollar Publishing label also recently put out a comic series based on CHRONICLES.

"We have been pursuing John to direct this project because he is just the kind of visionary a film of this scope demands," Pressman said. "With John at the helm, MUTANT CHRONICLES has the potential to be a huge motion picture event. Audiences today are so attuned to this genre, which John has significantly shaped, that the timing could not be more perfect for a film of this magnitude."

Pressman’s films include the upcoming THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU and pictures such as REVERSAL OF FORTUNE, WALL STREET, TALK RADIO, CONAN THE BARBARIAN and BADLANDS.

Carpenter has directed films including ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, STARMAN, HALLOWEEN and ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13.

ICM’s Jim Wiatt brokered the deal for Carpenter along with attorney Barry Haldeman. Neil Friedman, chief operating officer of the Edward R. Pressman Corp., handled the deal for Pressman.

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 12:12:34 PM »
So, will the tagline say nine and a half years in development?  ;D

I kid.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline paulpratt

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:16:31 PM »
Aint it Cool just published that article today! This movie has been in development hell for years. The previous script that Pressman was producting was garbage. They had Van Damm attached to it at one time, and honestly I will NEVER believe that John Carpenter has the "vision" to create a film based upon material this rich.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mutant Chronicles needs to be a television series...
I have ALOT of faith in David Goyer, he's a great writer, but if your director doesn't know how to stear the boat and build from a great script, it's over.
I assume Jane will play Mitch Hunter, which if that's the case sounds like they are going to use that ridiculous script about the necromakina on Earth... *shakes head* and the reincarnation of Durand th first... *cries* since he's been alive for 1200+ years anyway.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 12:19:32 PM by paulpratt »
Best,
-Paul Pratt

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 12:22:33 PM »
The sets and props from what would have been the Mutant Chronicles movie were rolled over into what became Ghosts of Mars when the MC production was canceled.  The second link shows some of the makeup props from the 95 Target attempt and will not be in the new feature

Frankly, it was a mercy killing.  The script treatment from the first try was insultingly bad and had almost nothing to do the MC universe other than a few hero's names and the film title.  The second version was even worse with talk of marketing it to the younger genreation (can we say freddie prinze jr.)   As for the new production,  -crosses fingers-

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 01:54:46 PM »
Well maybe the project is going somewhere now.

The Paradox homepage has this to say:
2005-06-23 Paradox Entertainment sells movie rights to Mutant Chronicles

Paradox Entertainment has sold the Mutant Chronicles movie rights to a New York-based production company. The movie is expected to go into production later this year.

The property Mutant Chronicles was successfully launched as board/role-playing, as well as a miniatures game, in the early nineties and spawned a flurry of licensed spin-offs such as comic books, video games, novelizations and a collectable card game (the latter which sold more than 170 million cards in 20 language editions worldwide). The property is now subject to an extensive re-launch across all media.

"We have for some time focused on the commercialization of our assets and Mutant Chronicles is such a 'sleeping asset'. Mutant Chronicles has a good story and an exciting licensing potential. We are looking forward to the feature film and we are already talking to manufacturers of computer games, toys as well as collectible cards," says Peter Sederowsky, Executive Chairman of Paradox Entertainment.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 04:03:15 PM »
oooo.... good or bad, I'll still see it.

But if it's bad, don't sit next to me if you hate people making jokes ala MST3K. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:56:28 PM »
If the production goes to Ewe Boll  I'm walking away from Warzone and MC forever.  I refuse to be associated with anything that fool touches.

-hopes i don't have to eat those words-

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 01:34:00 AM »
Story is set in the 23rd century, in which four giant corporations have pillaged the last of the planet's resources, causing a demonic, marauding army of underworld NecroMutants to wage war against humans for what remains. Jane will play a battle-weary Marine who leads a squad of soldiers against the alien hordes.

link

i'm a weee bit trepadacious.

but casting starts shortly and shooting after that.

Hey Thom, anyway ya can get a copy of the script and or suggest a fwe forum denziens for extras?

-PFC joe

Ironhawk_Everson

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 03:59:57 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mutant Chronicles needs to be a television series...
I think that if MC would be television serie it would work best as animation. Of course it would not be for kids as it has lots of violence and style would be more grim. Big guns and armour would not look good on actors. It would be great!  :P

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 04:57:19 AM »
nailed down part of the cast

By Gregg Goldstein

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Thomas Jane ("The Punisher") will star in "The Mutant Chronicles," a sci-fi action thriller based on the role-playing board game.

Jane stars as Major Mitch Hunter, a 23rd century soldier who leads humans in a fight against a demonic, marauding army of underworld NecroMutants.

"It's 'Saving Private Ryan' set in the future with monsters," said Edward R. Pressman, one of the film's producers. Principal photography is scheduled to begin in the spring in Montreal and the Isle of Man.

Pressman held the rights for more than a decade and ultimately was won over by the visual approach of U.K. commercials director Simon Hunter ("The Lighthouse"), prompting him to fund a seven-minute, $70,000 (40,800 pounds) trailer. "He'd never seen 'Sin City' but used a lot of the same technology Robert Rodriguez did. We couldn't have done this 10 years ago," Pressman said. U.S. distribution is still pending.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I've heard the "Saving Private Ryan" description kicked around before So I would say that prospects are looking up.  Now I just want to see that trailer.

-PFC joe
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 04:58:50 AM by PFC joe »

Offline WarlordtheFT

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 09:50:20 AM »
Yeah, I think they had some pictures of a guy dressed up as a nephirite of algeroth too. But I wonder if after 9 years the contract about the movie rights has expired.

Seems to me the best thing to do would approach the SCI-FI cable channel, if you wanted to make a series of it. They have done an excellent job of supporting the new Battlestar Galactica series.
435th AI Assault Regiment "Disposable Heroes"
Cybertronic

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 03:24:41 PM »
This is a new production and has zilch to do with the original attempts (Mortificator and the aborted John Carpenter movie).

As much as I'd like to see a series, given how well other popular scifi series have done, FireFly, I'll hope for competant writing and spin off tie ins that could span more than one season.

I wanna be bit part.

I want an action figure.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »
It might be interesting to have this as both a Screen movie AND a television series...use the movie as a prelude to the story and then expand on the story in a weekly series. 

Since Thomas Jane's movie career is going nowhere, he could star in both capacities.

B.
The thought of the "Muscles from Brussels" butchering this product like he butchered "Street Fighter" makes me twitch uncontrollably.
eBay name: sylvas1970